Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 11:08 PM

104 posts, read 144,458 times

Advertisements

Went to the store for canned pineapple for upside down cake. Decided to check the origin of the pineapple . Read doles can , it's from Thailand or Indonesia . All brands the same. What happen to Hawaii ? Where's our pineapple going? Next up garlic. All the bulbs and most of the dried comes from china. I know California grows tons and it's the best. Who's getting all that? The Chinese garlic bulbs were tiny. I passed and found dried California garlic at Costco. Also if you get a milk shake from UDF there is no ice cream in it. It's made with a white frozen dairy desert substance that's why it's an up charge for dipping ice cream out of the case for a shake. Most people don't even notice they dip this out from behind the real ice cream and it looks like vanilla but it's not! I asked them if they think most people know this and the employees just looked at me like nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 08:56 AM

726 posts, read 1,228,673 times
Usually it is grown one place and processed at another.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:09 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Any big concern like Dole is going to buy low and sell high. They send guy out to look for the cheapest growers and if they meet the international quality standards, that's what you'll be buying. I guess Hawaiian pineapple costs more just now.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:51 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,759,271 times
I too become very frustrated and irritated when buying food products. Sometimes the country of origin is not included. Add to the mix, the products that are grown/raised in the USA and shipped abroad for processing that is not indicated in the final product - two products that come to mind: salmon and chicken.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:54 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,405,066 times
I find that a lot of food here is grown abroad and pakckaged elsewhere

Old 08-17-2014, 09:23 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Yes, pineapple comes from outside the USA. The only place in the USA where pineapples will grow is Hawaii and land and labor in Hawaii are too expensive to grow and market agricultural products and still compete with other countries where labor is pennies a day and land is dirt cheap with no property taxes.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:25 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
I wasn't aware of the source of canned pineapple these days, but I've known about the garlic for some time. We use a lot. Fortunately, there's a noted garlic farm nearby. That doesn't help with the garlic powder, though. Who knows what's being added to that.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:32 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,759,271 times
The next time that I shop for garlic I will look for the country of origin. I certainly hope that it is from the USA; otherwise, I am going to raise a stink.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalley View Post
Went to the store for canned pineapple for upside down cake. Decided to check the origin of the pineapple . Read doles can , it's from Thailand or Indonesia . All brands the same. What happen to Hawaii ? Where's our pineapple going? Next up garlic. All the bulbs and most of the dried comes from china. I know California grows tons and it's the best. Who's getting all that? The Chinese garlic bulbs were tiny. I passed and found dried California garlic at Costco. Also if you get a milk shake from UDF there is no ice cream in it. It's made with a white frozen dairy desert substance that's why it's an up charge for dipping ice cream out of the case for a shake. Most people don't even notice they dip this out from behind the real ice cream and it looks like vanilla but it's not! I asked them if they think most people know this and the employees just looked at me like nope.
you certainly are a sensible and detailed shopper. I check some items but would never think to check to see where my garlic comes from. Now, I am going to find out and pay more attention. I would assume the pineapple came from this hemisphere at least. We have been to the Dole producers in Costa Rico and watched them prepare the fruit for shipping, the same in Hawaii. If they cans are from Indonesia, I wonder where the stuff we say was going? I rarely buy canned fruit, but when I do I will pay a little more attention: mostly I watch to see where our meat and fish come from. It is, sometimes hard to determine where it is raised. I am not a particular about where it was processed although I prefer it to be in the USA.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
I did check our garlic and a few canned veggies: I don't use canned fruit very often: what I checked was grown and produced in America. So, I guess it just depends on what you are purchasing and where?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink