Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 01:03 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,732,248 times

Advertisements

You will not find real maple syrup in restaurants, the main reason is the price. I consume real maple as well, but the price is up there.

Also, not everyone likes the flavor, it is much different from that high fructose stuff that is everywhere. I readily will ask for the real stuff but I always get served HFCS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 01:15 PM

401 posts, read 557,907 times
I spent some time in the Northeast and started using Real Maple Syrup. That's all I have used since then. When I have breakfast at a local restaurant the cheap stuff is all they serve. As the poster above stated, I sometimes feel like taking a small container of maple syrup in with me.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:03 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
I only use genuine maple syrup. Usually I get Canadian or Vermont. I was in Maine last week so I got Maine. It does come in a plastic jug most of the time if you want a large amount. I don't get the top grade because the lesser grade is just as good if not better. (I think we had a discussion on here about that. It gets complicated and I don't remember offhand but I know it when I see it.)

If you go to IHOP (used to be International House of Pancakes) you can pay a little more and get real maple syrup. They'll bring it to you in a little paper cup. It's well worth it to have the real thing.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:17 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,601,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
You will not find real maple syrup in restaurants, the main reason is the price. I consume real maple as well, but the price is up there.

Also, not everyone likes the flavor, it is much different from that high fructose stuff that is everywhere. I readily will ask for the real stuff but I always get served HFCS.
Just have it AVAILABLE!

I'll pay for it!

Old 08-14-2014, 03:15 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I don't eat pancakes or French Toast too often, but when I do, I go to the nearby diner, which services the fake syrup and some other flavored ones--and I bring my little tiny jug of real maple syrup in my purse!

Old 08-14-2014, 03:34 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,411,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't eat pancakes or French Toast too often, but when I do, I go to the nearby diner, which services the fake syrup and some other flavored ones--and I bring my little tiny jug of real maple syrup in my purse!
Alright! I'm going to take that as permission.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:24 PM

639 posts, read 1,963,591 times
I had the syrup at Cracker Barrel a long time ago, and hated it. My family all hated it too. I was told that it was real Maple syrup, so I assumed that meant I didn't like maple syrup. Well, I just tried the real stuff again a few days ago, and it's GREAT. I will never go back to the fake stuff. It makes me wonder what on earth Cracker Barrel was serving years ago.

I was also surprised to find that maple syrup is very thin and watery. I expected it to be thick, and some posts in this thread seem to describe it as being thick...is it supposed to be thick or thin? I was eating 100% (or so they claim) dark amber syrup.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:34 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Restaurants would not pay the extra money to serve Maple Syrup, and most consumers are not discerning enough to care.
I'm a fan of real syrup, and sometimes I buy it at Sam's Club, which is reasonable. I don't eat enough pancakes to matter much, though.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:32 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
Many mom & pop restaurants in Northern Maine serve real maple syrup from March until it runs out. Then they go with a substitute. There is an all you can eat pancake and waffle breakfast this Saturday in Springfield. They normally have real maple syrup. It's at the snowmobile club in the center of town, 7 to 10 AM.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:16 PM

104 posts, read 144,505 times
Default I actually told Cracker Barrel the website still said 100 real maple

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave72 View Post
I grew up in New England (MA). My parents were devout Maple Syrup consumers. You know, the real stuff that comes from a tree?

That cheap crap by Log Cabin never saw the light of day in our house.

My wife, on the other hand, grew up with a mother who always, always, always, bought what was "cheap". She didn't grow up particuarly poor, either. She never tried maple syrup, the real kind, until she met me. She has now been converted, and both of us can't really stomach the plasticy, overly sweet, almost chemical-tasting fake stuff.

Living in Central Ohio now, we still have access to local maple syrup, but it's less prevalent. Seems a lot of people here assume Log Cabin etc are maple syrup, but have no idea.

So that's the weird thing...why is it that even the more "high-end" breakfast restaurants, don't even OFFER real maple syrup? I get that it costs more, but people (like me, and my converted wife) would pay extra for it if it were at least available. I get that in the West and Deep South it might be less in demand, but in the NE and Midwest where it is produced locally, or semi-locally, you'd think there would be some demand, at least in better restaurants!

Cracker Barrel used to have it, but now they have a mixed real/corn syrup stuff, which is admittedly still far better than Log Cabin, but not as good as the real thing.

Am I alone in this quest?
They were still advertising real maple even after the cheap switch to maple Flavored table syrup. All restaurants have gone cheap. You have to ask yourself how is it possible that Pizza Hut is almost the same price it was 20 plus years ago, back when a pan pizza was expensive to us but was so good. Now I'm not sure it's real cheese on the pizza. Doubt it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink