Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 07:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Prepacked foods are not worth it, if you want real authentic noodles go to an Asian noodle stand and watch them make the noodles by hand out of 5 total ingredients.
good advise but you do not realize how many of us do not live in a location where that is possible. You only find these stands in major metropolitan areas. You don't even find them in cities the size of Albuquerque.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 10:58 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,461,305 times
Even though I'm dirt poor, I won't touch ramen noodles with a 10-foot pole. Just too many preservatives. While it's probably true that if ramen noodles are eaten in small quantities that they aren't harmful, there are a lot of poor people who do make ramen noodles a staple in their diets. I see people fill up their carts with 24 packs of ramen at Walmart all the time because that's all they can afford. Anything that cheap has to be detrimental to one's health.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac77 View Post
Even though I'm dirt poor, I won't touch ramen noodles with a 10-foot pole. Just too many preservatives. While it's probably true that if ramen noodles are eaten in small quantities that they aren't harmful, there are a lot of poor people who do make ramen noodles a staple in their diets. I see people fill up their carts with 24 packs of ramen at Walmart all the time because that's all they can afford. Anything that cheap has to be detrimental to one's health.
It is sad when people do need to depend on things like ramen noodles, canned soups, boxed mac and cheese etc because they can't afford to eat healthier or don't know how, but you are assuming the person who buys that 24 pack of ramens can't afford anything else or intends on eating them all the time. I happen to be one that buys the huge box at Sam's. As I have said before, we only have them about once every month, I do share the bulk box with one of our friends and I am very conscious of what we eat. So you can't always tell, by what people have in their basket if they are shopping on a shoestring or just stocking up.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:56 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,732,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
good advise but you do not realize how many of us do not live in a location where that is possible. You only find these stands in major metropolitan areas. You don't even find them in cities the size of Albuquerque.
I used to live in the Quer, they have a pretty good authentic Asian noodle bar downtown. Yes, you are correct, most smaller towns will not have these options. But, even some smaller cities do have great choices, like Huntsville, AL.

If you can't find it, make your own.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:24 AM

217 posts, read 325,901 times
There's a reason why typically it's only college students on a budget that eat ramen noodles.

No one should view it as a long-term meal of choice.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:38 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,732,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamosgp View Post
There's a reason why typically it's only college students on a budget that eat ramen noodles.

No one should view it as a long-term meal of choice.
I see a lot of illegals stocking up on them at Walmart as well. Not limited to just college kids.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:24 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,055,855 times
Default Ramen Noodles anyone???????

I don't eat these noodles anymore. This story ask some scary questions about how unhealthy they are.

The Noodles That are Linked to Chronic Inflammation, Weight Gain, Alzheimer

Old 01-25-2018, 02:26 PM

130,170 posts, read 12,088,000 times
We are all gonna die one day, I will continue to eat them once a month or so & take my chances.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:15 PM

155 posts, read 132,507 times
I have eaten them a handful of times.

Cheap - yes
Easy to make - yes
Good for you - No

Most who are eating them are teenage or college aged kids who have high metabolisms and low funds, which is why they end up in their shopping baskets.

As most of us enter adulthood our finances and health awareness both increase and most do as I have done and no longer buy them.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:36 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
I don't eat these noodles anymore. This story ask some scary questions about how unhealthy they are.

The Noodles That are Linked to Chronic Inflammation, Weight Gain, Alzheimer

Maybe you need to expand your culinary horizon:

https://chicago.eater.com/maps/best-...urants-chicago

I do not see much in these ramen dishes that I would find unhealthy ... and they are all in Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink