Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 04:02 PM

50,369 posts, read 63,964,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Gluten-free can be any vegetable, any fruit, any meat (except check on prepared meat, some contain wheat), and rice.

Kosher can be any food as long as it is certified Kosher, and I don't think dairy and meat can be in the same meal.

So you have your choice of any vegetable salad: coleslaw, broccoli red grape, green, 3 bean.... no noodles or croutons. You can serve a rice dish, maybe pilaf.

You won't be able to buy any sort of gluten-free bread products or bakery products that are any good. I can give you a good gluten-free cake recipe that has easy to find ingredients, if someone wants to bake a cake.

Crunch master brand multi-grain gluten-free crackers are good. Most gluten-free crackers are not good. But you can get the Crunch Master (not any other flavor) and serve cheese. Check cheese labels, but it is rare for cheese to contain wheat or other gluten sources.

Some ice cream is OK. Just make sure it doesn't have any cookie dough or pie crust, or cookies added.

Thai Kitchen makes tasty gluten free products. Thai rice mixes, sweet pepper sauce, among other things, and they are good.

If you want noodles, use oriental rice noodles. Those are the best gluten-free noodles for both taste and texture and they make an acceptable spaghetti. They also make a nice Chinese noodle dish.

Kosher doesn't mean it has to be Jewish cuisine. Does the friend specifically want Jewish food? Or just food that people keeping kosher can eat?
No, they are Catholic, and their son is marrying a gluten free girl, but they are happily entertaining her Jewish relatives (Oy). Thanks for your suggestions. I will pass them on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 04:38 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
No, they are Catholic, and their son is marrying a gluten free girl, but they are happily entertaining her Jewish relatives (Oy). Thanks for your suggestions. I will pass them on.
Hang on, they're Jewish, but are you sure that they keep Kosher? Less than 10% of Jews keep Kosher. I'm Jewish... I love bacon.

Really, your friend might want to double-check on the Kosher business because it's a HUGE waste of time and money (Kosher food is notoriously more expensive than non-Kosher) for her.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:43 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,771,788 times
Well, if there's one thing we Jews love, it's our POTATOES. Any excuse for potatoes, and we're happy. If the hosts were Jewish, they could go for a bit of Catskills humor and theme it 'Night of a Thousand Potatoes'. Combined with a variety of (Kosher compatible) fishes (but nothing from a jar, PLEASE!!!), the menu could be a smash hit. For dessert, I'd have a variety of sorbets (some sugar-free) and fresh fruits.

Crudites are, by nature, gluten-free. And glutens are easily kept out of salads.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:49 PM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Tossed salad with chick peas olives, fresh dill, tomatoes and cucumbers
Egg salad
Tuna salad
Fresh tomato and mozzarella with basil and olive oil
portabella mushroom caps, then filled with spinach and feta, baked until cheese melts
fruit salad
salmon spread served on rice crackers
hummus
gluten free pasta salad

Lubby's menu is very good. It's also an example of a "Dairy menu". You could add g-free pita chips and bagels. Pretty much, bagels are an expectation.

In a Kosher diet, fish and eggs are included in a Dairy menu.

If you were to have meat, you would need Kosher meat from a Kosher butcher or deli. You would also have to remove any cheese, butter, grated cheese, and check all breads and crackers for milk etc.
That obviously rules out bagels and cream cheese.

Since this is in Seattle, I don't think you will have a problem with the gluten free or with the Kosher.

However a choice must be made if you are doing meat (Kosher) or Dairy. Which includes fish.

There might even be a Kosher caterer in Seattle who can prepare this for you.

Kosher people vary in their strictness. Some would prefer that the foods be prepared in a Kosher kitchen under rabbinical supervision - or in their own homes or the homes of other people who keep Kosher. I have a cousin who converted, and she her husband and sons are all that way.
My husband's family runs the spectrum from bacon eaters to glatt Kosher, so when we entertain them, I do "Dairy" and let someone Kosher prepare it.
Then the very strict and observant need not worry about dishes, what was cooked in my stove or pots and pans.

Found one - http://www.leahcookskosher.com/catering.php

Last edited by sheena12; 08-20-2014 at 05:00 PM..

Old 08-20-2014, 05:14 PM

50,369 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Thanks all. Now, the truth comes out. My friend says they just don't eat pork, and she's checking on shrimp. It's not that everything needs to be kosher. I'm sorry for the panic. It seems the gluten free will be trickier than the Kosher.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks all. Now, the truth comes out. My friend says they just don't eat pork, and she's checking on shrimp. It's not that everything needs to be kosher. I'm sorry for the panic. It seems the gluten free will be trickier than the Kosher.
Just as I suspected...

Because, honestly, and not to turn this into a religious issue, if the girl comes from a Kosher home, it would be unlikely that she'd be getting married to a non-Jew.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Oh my Lord!

I agree. The G free is more tricky. Is the whole family gluten intolerant???

If you are not Jewish (which I am guessing you are not), and many of the attendees are, you could still safely stick with one of those menus.

Culturally, Jewish people still love bagels and cream cheese. lox, herring, Israeli salad. hummus, tuna salad, Mediterranean foods and as Grandview Gloria pointed out, potatoes. This is an easy menu.

A roasted rosemary potato dish was a big hit with my in-laws and it's way easier than pie. If you want the recipe I have one that serves twenty.

DH has a cousin who always trots out an eggplant parm on holidays. That's a idea, too. G free bread crumbs are easy to come by. Or just don't bread them for a lighter entree.

Besides a cultural love of potatoes, fruit and fruit salad are often seen at such affairs. Fruit salad and sorbet frees you from worrying about gluten.

With some G-free cookies, it makes a nice desert.

Another way to go is Chinese. Most culturally Jewish people enjoy Chinese food.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
True story.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
True story.

Did you ever see "Christmas Time For the Jews"? On SNL?

So funny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOhKQyRAo6k

When I lived in NY, when we had no Christmas day guests, we would head out to a place called Asian Pavilion". A awesome and authentic pan Asian restaurant in our village where we met up with neighbors, teachers and acquaintances who oft times became friends.

Sometimes I miss NY... Although I now live in the Midwest which was home to "A Christmas Story" where a family winds up in a Chinese restaurant after a series of mishaps.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:16 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Chinese has gluten in it, because of the soy sauce, which is brewed in wheat. A lot of Chinese [American] dishes has gluten in their gravies and sauces so I'd avoid this as well. Eating gluten-free isn't as simple as avoiding cakes, cookies, and breads and such. Gluten is in everything (alcoholic beverages, soups, sauces, gravies, salad dressings) and there's also the issue of cross-contamination when preparing food. For example, you can't make a burger and put it on a bun then take it off the bread and serve it to someone who has celiace disease. You also can't give french fries to someone who is celiac that has been fried in the same oil as something breaded in flour. It has become contaminated and they can't eat it, period. They will get sick.

If a gluten-free menu is requested because a participant in the dinner has celiac disease or is otherwise gluten-sensitive, if not familiar with the intricacies of safely preparing gluten-free meals, the OP should find a caterer that specializes in or offers a GF menu and leave it at that. Leave it to someone who knows how to properly and safely prepare gluten-free food.

I am celiac and I also eat Kosher (i.e. no pork). It is far more easier to avoid pork than it is to avoid gluten.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 08-20-2014 at 08:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink