Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 09:47 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,997 times

Advertisements

Had an incident where a large group of us ordered several pizza pies. We finished only half of them. At some point, the bus boy picked it up and threw it all out, despite us telling the waitress and her confirming that the other staff were aware of this.

1) why do restaurant workers do this? Do they get in trouble if food gets left out and not kept clean within a time period? FWIW, it was on a Tues. night where business wasn't exactly booming. As we were only 10 feet away, these folks can't be bothered to give a shout out whether or not someone's still working on 2 whole pies?

2) What would be the most foolproof way to prevent this? Telling them won't work if someone forgets and does it anyways. Would putting a "to go" container on top or near the food work?

Most of us had to leave soon, but we didn't like wasting food. One person who also needed to leave would've asked the restaurant to make 2 more pies for them on the house if it weren't for that (but then you risk them spitting on your food or something like that )

Also, sometimes, people can't be right next to their food. Sometimes, they hold meetings where they need the table space for games, laptops, whatever, so that won't always work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 10:15 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,022,421 times
I've literally never had this happen, and I would be so mad!

I would not have asked for new pizzas, because of the possibility of retaliation, but I would have asked to see the manager and told him or her "I believe this calls for an adjustment to our bill." That food belonged to whoever paid for it and if it was thrown out without your permission (and especially if you told them you wanted it), they owe you.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:45 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,204,524 times
tell them up front,,,,

also you can consolidate the pies yourself as people stop eating and separate the empty boxes from the full ones

write on the boxes- don't throw out

Old 08-27-2014, 03:50 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
What kept you from telling the busboy you wanted it?

Old 08-27-2014, 04:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Had an incident where a large group of us ordered several pizza pies. We finished only half of them. At some point, the bus boy picked it up and threw it all out, despite us telling the waitress and her confirming that the other staff were aware of this.

1) why do restaurant workers do this? Do they get in trouble if food gets left out and not kept clean within a time period? FWIW, it was on a Tues. night where business wasn't exactly booming. As we were only 10 feet away, these folks can't be bothered to give a shout out whether or not someone's still working on 2 whole pies?

2) What would be the most foolproof way to prevent this? Telling them won't work if someone forgets and does it anyways. Would putting a "to go" container on top or near the food work?

Most of us had to leave soon, but we didn't like wasting food. One person who also needed to leave would've asked the restaurant to make 2 more pies for them on the house if it weren't for that (but then you risk them spitting on your food or something like that )

Also, sometimes, people can't be right next to their food. Sometimes, they hold meetings where they need the table space for games, laptops, whatever, so that won't always work.
I think you are giving an example of an exception rather than the rule and I have no idea what the answer is, other than paying close attention and telling the bus boy to not remove the left overs. Maybe you need to tell management so it doesn't happen again.

As for having meetings, needing the table space, etc. that is another story. If this is the case and you have pushed the food away, I don't think the entire blame for removing it can be put on the wait staff unless you have already asked for carry out bags.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:35 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
I too am wondering why nobody told the busboy as the pizza boxes were being removed that you wanted to take the leftovers pieces home.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:51 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,997 times
There was a presentation, so we were mostly looking at the screen and the speaker. The busboy practically ninja-ed in, so to watch the pies like a hawk proved to be difficult. Besides, the waitress assured us no one was going to remove them!

There were no pizza boxes because the pies were on top of metal plates. In many places where you buy pizza for dine-in, they don't come in boxes.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:19 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
If you paid for the food, you're entitled to all of it, but the busboy probably though he was being considerate and doing a good thing by cleaning up without disturbing those watching the presentation. My suggestion is to let it go.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:39 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post

You were at a restaurant but 10 feet away from your table? So you had already left your table? if that is the case I'd think the restaurant was in the right to clear you tables and make it ready for other customers. How long do you think it should be OK to tie up tables in a restaurant after you leave them?

Old 08-27-2014, 10:48 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What kept you from telling the busboy you wanted it?

Exactly. I would have asked him to bring a box. We do that all the time before the uneaten food sits out too long. That way we pack it up ourselves.

Allowing patrons to take home uneaten food should be common practice for all non-buffet eateries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink