Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 12:02 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
That's true, but it's frustrating to go to a lunch cafe and see that every soup offering they have has soy in it.
The 12 veggie, the lentil, the eggplant soup, the potato curry....and more...all have soy.

It'd be nice if soy weren't so ubiquitous so those of us who shouldn't have it could have some of those selections also.
Especially when there's no reason for soy to be in there in the first place.
How do you KNOW they are putting soy in those soups? If you are going to vegetarian restaurants, I'll bet they are adding soy to add protein since you're not getting it from meat. In a regular cafe, I'd bet the vegetable soup would not have any added soy - why would they? It's just adds to their food cost.

Like I said, try eating a chicken breast once in awhile. I'll bet you'd feel better and be avoiding soy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 12:03 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
But they can make dishes without soy.

How much research is needed to make vegetable soup or anything else without soy...just don't add it.

You are missing the point entirely, things can be made without soy that is true however, you are still going to have food that you consume that has a trace amount of soy in it just from being in the same kitchen as the soy products.

So technically no, there is not a dish that can be made without soy unless the entire restaurant has no soy in it at all and has never had soy in it.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:40 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,021,495 times
Quote:
How do you KNOW they are putting soy in those soups?
Because the sign above it listing the ingredients says so.

We have an Au Bon Pain in our work building. All I'm saying is it would be nice to be able to have some items that didn't have soy. Of the six soups they offer every day most days they ALL have soy. And yes I do mention it to the managers there, and I'm also thinking of writing the corporate office.

Quote:
You are missing the point entirely, things can be made without soy that is true however, you are still going to have food that you consume that has a trace amount of soy in it just from being in the same kitchen as the soy products.
I never said an item can't have trace amounts of soy. I'm talking about soy as an INGREDIENT in the item.

And I don't have an ALLERGY, I have thyroid goiters, and soy is not supposed to be good for that. So I limit my soy intake.

It's just a pain not to be able to get an darn vegetable soup because there's figging soy in it -- when it doesn't have to be in there in the first place. That's all I'm saying.

I know there are millions of people who have dietary issues....celiacs, and people who have allergies.

If companies have found a way to make items without trans fats, without added sugar or salt....I think they can make a soup without soy.

I know people who have dietary issues are a minority. I have a friend with a sugar allergy and when we go out her choices are much more limited than mine. I was giving an example to illustrate that it's a PITA to navigate food choices.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:54 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Because the sign above it listing the ingredients says so.

We have an Au Bon Pain in our work building. All I'm saying is it would be nice to be able to have some items that didn't have soy. Of the six soups they offer every day most days they ALL have soy. And yes I do mention it to the managers there, and I'm also thinking of writing the corporate office.
I just looked on the Au Bon Pair website. According to their website the following soups do not contain soy: Vegetarian Minestrone
Harvest Pumpkin
Turkey, kale and wild rice
French Moroccan tomato lentil
Carrot ginger
Barely and creamy lentil
Roasted eggplant
Tomato Basil Bisque
Vegetarian Chilli

They also have plenty of other offerings that do not include soy. Their website has an option on the menu to view foods that don't contain soy, so if you really want to eat at Au Bon Pair, you can check out their website to see what would be good to order. Otherwise go somewhere else if you don't like the selection offered.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:06 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,103 times
Quote:
Is there any one else like myself that is disappointed and ticked off that practically everything has soy in it?
I know why the big food producers use it. Because it's CHEAP, and all the big food agribusinesses are getting rich off of it.

But soy is goitrogenic and estrogenic, and it can be a severe allergen.

Practically EVERY vegetarian soup at a national chain cafe I go to has soy in it. Why? They don't HAVE to make it with soy. There's no reason 12 veggie soup has to have soy!

And ohe "organic' salad dressing I looked at that had the name "olive oil" on the label -- had as the FIRST ingredient...SOY oil!

I know....like everything else if you're trying to eat healthily.....it's on us to seek out healthy food.
I know ...the food industrial complex isn't interested in our health.
It's just frustrating sometimes....it doesn't HAVE to be this way!
I personally like soy. I grew up drinking and eating it. Some people have allergies to soy, just like some people have allergies to alcohol.

Soy consumed in large amounts nowadays can throw our hormones off balance, so probably a square inch of soy per day is okay.. anything beyond that is basically like going McDonalds (overboard).

Old 09-01-2014, 10:42 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,021,495 times
Thank you sundaydrive, I appreciate that – but most days they offer no non-soy soup selection.

I’ve even asked if they could offer one non-soy selection each day.
Since they have about 40 soups overall selections and 6-8 soups a day -- surely one non-soy option a day wouldn’t be too much to ask.

The answer, “we can only go by what they tell us to offer on a given day.”
I will take it higher than just the store manager.

I was hoping NOT to have to do that. But whatever....
The squeaky wheel gets the grease. (Look at how the anti- peanut people have lobbied)

Quote:
I personally like soy.
I like soy too, it's not an issue of liking or not liking it. Tofu was my go to meat substitute, UNTIL I read there were issues about it being bad for thyroid conditions. I was still eating tofu after the thyroid nodules developed, because I just didn't know it was goitrogenic and estrogenic. Then I also read is the number one cheap (or two crop in America) and the Americans now eat more soy than people in Asian countries. That got me to thinking whoa on the soy.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:19 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Thank you sundaydrive, I appreciate that – but most days they offer no non-soy soup selection.

I’ve even asked if they could offer one non-soy selection each day.
Since they have about 40 soups overall selections and 6-8 soups a day -- surely one non-soy option a day wouldn’t be too much to ask.
They usually have a schedule of what soups are being offered on what days. I Know Panera does, so I'm sure Au Bon Pair does as well. You can check the ingredients of whatever soups are being offered that day on their website. If one day they aren't offering a soup that you want, then go somewhere else. Or get something else besides soup.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:23 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Wouldn't it be much less frustrating if you just prepared your own vegetable soup at home and brought it to work to warm and eat?

Old 09-01-2014, 11:55 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Quote:
That's true, but it's frustrating to go to a lunch cafe and see that every soup offering they have has soy in it.
The 12 veggie, the lentil, the eggplant soup, the potato curry....and more...all have soy.

It'd be nice if soy weren't so ubiquitous so those of us who shouldn't have it could have some of those selections also.
Especially when there's no reason for soy to be in there in the first place.
I have special dietary needs, so I've figured out one or two things I can eat at each of the restaurants I'm likely to go to. If we're going to a new restaurant, I will look at their nutritional info online and figure out what I can eat before I go there. It takes a little bit of planning.

Since your issue is with the restaurant most convenient to your workplace, then planning on your part might involve keeping a few frozen meals in the freezer at work for the days when none of the selections at the restaurant fit your dietary needs. You could just freeze some leftovers and then microwave them for lunch.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:47 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,012 times
I own a Chinese restaurant, which are commonly known for using soy sauce. Many soups use soy sauce as a base ingredient and if changed to something else would completely change the soup. Not all soups have soy sauce, such as egg drop soup. A few entrees can be cooked without soy sauce or at least diluted. But the truth is it can be hard to meet all dietary needs and completely removing soy sauce can be difficult if a customer is set on a certain dish or soup where soy sauce is a base ingredient. Many Chinese sauces are difficult and time consuming to make and we will prepare a few gallons at a time, which is another reason it can be difficult to cook an entree without soy sauce. Hot and Sour soup is a good example, the soup would be significantly different without soy sauce and I would be very reluctant to serve it that way. I would ask the waiter what items can be served without soy products, I would guess most places would have recommendations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink