Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 02:03 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Thank you sundaydrive, I appreciate that – but most days they offer no non-soy soup selection.

I’ve even asked if they could offer one non-soy selection each day.
Since they have about 40 soups overall selections and 6-8 soups a day -- surely one non-soy option a day wouldn’t be too much to ask.

The answer, “we can only go by what they tell us to offer on a given day.”
I will take it higher than just the store manager.

I was hoping NOT to have to do that. But whatever....
The squeaky wheel gets the grease. (Look at how the anti- peanut people have lobbied)

I like soy too, it's not an issue of liking or not liking it. Tofu was my go to meat substitute, UNTIL I read there were issues about it being bad for thyroid conditions. I was still eating tofu after the thyroid nodules developed, because I just didn't know it was goitrogenic and estrogenic. Then I also read is the number one cheap (or two crop in America) and the Americans now eat more soy than people in Asian countries. That got me to thinking whoa on the soy.
I would think if you explained to them that you will be a regular customer they would work with you, but it doesn't sound like they care very much. I personally would take my business elsewhere or make my own soups. But personally I never met someone at my restaurant who didn't want soy, many ask about peanuts, but never soy...

I will say I find it hard to believe Americans consume more soy then Asians. My Asian family consumes a LOT of soy... I did know the US produces a lot of soy though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 06:51 AM

4,045 posts, read 2,128,098 times
OP, I couldn't believe everything contains soy, so I went onto their website. It's amazing how much has soy. Not sure what the soy is? A dash of soy sauce? It's not actual soybeans or tofu. While most does have soy, I did see that the eggplant soup does not:

http://aubonpain.com/sites/default/f..._nutrition.pdf

Old 09-02-2014, 10:22 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,510 times
Please don't turn on me, but is it such a crime to want to be able to grab and go and order out like others? I know that if a person cares about his or her health that in today's food environment eating healthfully might take more work and thought and preparation. But I can still pout about it from time to time. Plus in my case I'm single no kids, I never cook and always eat out.

I've toyed with being vegan, vegetarian and even macrobiotic and various points over the years. Sometimes I just get frustrated. Why can't restaurants and food companies make dishes and items like we would at home with not so many additives. It doesn't have to be for taste -- because when bread is baked fresh at home -- it's gobbled up like it's the best bread someone's ever had....and IT doesn't have any high fructose corn syrup or even half the ingredients store bought bread has. So if bread can be baked at home with -- yeast, water, salt and flour....I don't see why others have to add to that. Or the vegetable soup -- at home is broth, spices, and vegetables, pretty simple, no? That's a good example and why I keep going back to that one. Clearly vegetable soup doesn't need soy!

And as for the salad dressing -- and this is a regulatory issue. How can you have the NAME of a salad dressing be olive oil -- and the FIRST ingredient is SOYbean oil!

Anyway...in general I just am frustrated with the state of the food industry.....caveat emptor...I guess.

=================

Quote:
I will say I find it hard to believe Americans consume more soy then Asians. My Asian family consumes a LOT of soy... I did know the US produces a lot of soy though.
From 2 different sites:
1)Americans are eating more soy products than ever before, thanks largely to the ingenuity of an industry eager to process and sell the vast amounts of subsidized soy coming off American and South American farms. But today we’re eating soy in ways Asian cultures with a much longer experience of the plant would not recognize: “Soy protein isolate,” “soy isoflavones,” “textured vegetable protein” from soy and soy oils (which now account for a fifth of the calories in the American diet) are finding their way into thousands of processed foods, with the result that Americans now eat more soy than the Japanese or the Chinese do.

2) How Much Soy Do Asians Really Eat?
Those who dare to question the benefits of soy tend to receive one stock answer: Soy foods couldn't possibly have a downside because Asians eat large quantities of soy every day and consequently remain free of most western diseases. In fact, the people of China, Japan, and other countries in Asia eat very little soy. The soy industry's own figures show that soy consumption in China, Indonesia, Korea, Japan, and Taiwan ranges from 9.3 to 36 grams per day.1 That's grams of soy food, not grams of soy protein alone. Compare this with a cup of tofu (252 grams) or soy milk (240 grams).2 Many Americans today think nothing of consuming a cup of tofu, a couple glasses of soy milk, handfuls of soy nuts, soy "energy bars," and veggie burgers. Infants on soy formula receive the most of all, both in quantity and in proportion to body weight.

In short, there is no historical precedent for eating the large amounts of soy food now being consumed by infants fed soy formula and vegetarians who favor soy as their main source of protein, or for the large amounts of soy being recommended by Dr. Andrew Weil, Dr. Christiane Northrup, and many other popular health experts.

What's more, the rural poor in China have never seen-let alone feasted on-soy sausages, chili made with Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP), tofu cheesecake, packaged soy milk, soy "energy bars," or other newfangled soy products that have infiltrated the American marketplace.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:54 AM

340 posts, read 645,354 times
I can't say that I know anyone that has a soy allergy. From what I've read, only 1% of the U.S. population does. Unfortunately for the allergy suferer, dietary and lifestyle changes are often needed... i.e. preparing the majority of meals yourself or finding places that offer non-processed foods or at least list all the ingredents they use.

If it isn't soy, it's high-fructose corn syrup, trans fats, or yellow dye #5 to complain about.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
If it isn't soy, it's high-fructose corn syrup, trans fats, or yellow dye #5 to complain about.
EmergencyOps, I hear ya.

I know you're not saying there's anything wrong with it, but Gd forbid we should want restaurants and food companies to prepare dishes in a more natural, healthful way.

As for the labeling issue, I think that is just outright deceptive. Just goes to show that if you care about your health you'd better read labels. Just like juice blends with a big front name calling it cranberry -- but the number one ingredient is apple juice, grape juice...with cranberry 3rd or 4th!

Some of this is stuff you'd never even think of...and maybe it's my naivte...but it never even OCCURRED to me that bread would have high fructose corn syrup in it. I just never would have dreamed that.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:45 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergencyOps View Post
I can't say that I know anyone that has a soy allergy. From what I've read, only 1% of the U.S. population does. Unfortunately for the allergy suferer, dietary and lifestyle changes are often needed... i.e. preparing the majority of meals yourself or finding places that offer non-processed foods or at least list all the ingredents they use.

Actually, it's less than .5% of the US population has a soy allergy. It DOES seem to be increasing, particularly with infants that are being fed soy milk.

But it doesn't sound like the OP has an allergy. If you read through the entire thread, he/she has decided that their thyroid condition is affected by soy products, so he/she doesn't want to eat them. The factual basis for soy affecting thyroid disease is very controversial, but nearly all 'experts' agree that the risk is for infants who were raised on soy milk or adults who purposefully eat lots of soy (like tofu twice a day).

In any case, someone who decides that they want to eat non-processed foods needs to do the work themselves. Learn to cook. Don't expect mass produced food made by chain restaurants to cater to those small numbers of people who care. Don't expect manufactures to increase their cost of production by eliminating stuff that makes their product taste good or preservatives to keep it shelf stable. That would require an increase in prices, and a loss of customers. profits will decrease, Wall Street and the stockholders will be unhappy.

I stick with what I said in the first place: Want to avoid soy? Each a chicken breast or a steak.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:16 PM

37,586 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
But I can still pout about it from time to time. Plus in my case I'm single no kids, I never cook and always eat out.
Well that is the first thing you need to change. I am single as well, with a son in college, and I darn sure cook. I practically NEVER eat out as the options for doing so are almost always overpriced and not as healthy as I can get at home.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Please don't turn on me, but is it such a crime to want to be able to grab and go and order out like others? I know that if a person cares about his or her health that in today's food environment eating healthfully might take more work and thought and preparation. But I can still pout about it from time to time. Plus in my case I'm single no kids, I never cook and always eat out.

I've toyed with being vegan, vegetarian and even macrobiotic and various points over the years. Sometimes I just get frustrated. Why can't restaurants and food companies make dishes and items like we would at home with not so many additives. It doesn't have to be for taste -- because when bread is baked fresh at home -- it's gobbled up like it's the best bread someone's ever had....and IT doesn't have any high fructose corn syrup or even half the ingredients store bought bread has. So if bread can be baked at home with -- yeast, water, salt and flour....I don't see why others have to add to that. Or the vegetable soup -- at home is broth, spices, and vegetables, pretty simple, no? That's a good example and why I keep going back to that one. Clearly vegetable soup doesn't need soy!

And as for the salad dressing -- and this is a regulatory issue. How can you have the NAME of a salad dressing be olive oil -- and the FIRST ingredient is SOYbean oil!

Anyway...in general I just am frustrated with the state of the food industry.....caveat emptor...I guess.

=================

From 2 different sites:
1)Americans are eating more soy products than ever before, thanks largely to the ingenuity of an industry eager to process and sell the vast amounts of subsidized soy coming off American and South American farms. But today we’re eating soy in ways Asian cultures with a much longer experience of the plant would not recognize: “Soy protein isolate,” “soy isoflavones,” “textured vegetable protein” from soy and soy oils (which now account for a fifth of the calories in the American diet) are finding their way into thousands of processed foods, with the result that Americans now eat more soy than the Japanese or the Chinese do.

2) How Much Soy Do Asians Really Eat?
Those who dare to question the benefits of soy tend to receive one stock answer: Soy foods couldn't possibly have a downside because Asians eat large quantities of soy every day and consequently remain free of most western diseases. In fact, the people of China, Japan, and other countries in Asia eat very little soy. The soy industry's own figures show that soy consumption in China, Indonesia, Korea, Japan, and Taiwan ranges from 9.3 to 36 grams per day.1 That's grams of soy food, not grams of soy protein alone. Compare this with a cup of tofu (252 grams) or soy milk (240 grams).2 Many Americans today think nothing of consuming a cup of tofu, a couple glasses of soy milk, handfuls of soy nuts, soy "energy bars," and veggie burgers. Infants on soy formula receive the most of all, both in quantity and in proportion to body weight.

In short, there is no historical precedent for eating the large amounts of soy food now being consumed by infants fed soy formula and vegetarians who favor soy as their main source of protein, or for the large amounts of soy being recommended by Dr. Andrew Weil, Dr. Christiane Northrup, and many other popular health experts.

What's more, the rural poor in China have never seen-let alone feasted on-soy sausages, chili made with Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP), tofu cheesecake, packaged soy milk, soy "energy bars," or other newfangled soy products that have infiltrated the American marketplace.
not a lack of sympathy for you by any means, but you have to understand, the number of people with some sensitivity to something is overwhelming and no one can expect restaurants to offer foods free of this or that when the number of people being affected by something is so small. Almost all of us have a allergy or sensitivity to something. Soy is not a common one. A restaurant would see food spoiled, from lack of request if they catered to each of our requests.

As for the salad dressing issue and ingredients, I think this is something that bothers all of us. but if there is any an ingredient is a product I guess they can call it such and such. I love when the second ingredient is sugar and the third water. that is why I make almost all my own dressings.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Well that is the first thing you need to change. I am single as well, with a son in college, and I darn sure cook. I practically NEVER eat out as the options for doing so are almost always overpriced and not as healthy as I can get at home.
my thoughts are about the same. I know a lot of single people who cook and love the idea of trying new recipes. I am not single, but we are just the two of us now and I still love spending time in the kitchen. When hubby was very careful about eating low fat, he learned to either bring his own dressing to a restaurant of get just oil and vinegar. He still does this most of the time, but like you, we rarely eat out.

We all know, not everyone enjoys cooking, that is their choice, but if they do prefer to eat out all the time, they need to understand the restaurants are going to cook for the majority and offer foods they know will sell. Everything is a trade off in life.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
A restaurant would see food spoiled, from lack of request if they catered to each of our requests.
No, because if they just made it the way they normally would without soy people would even know the difference. I'm not talking about making a special version. When you go out do you notice whether soy is in something you choose or not? I doubt it.

Obviously I'm not talking about something where tofu is a main ingredient. But I dare say all these soups below could be made without soy, no one would know and so therefore they would still sell: (You can't say the soy is in there for taste, because it assumes the flavor of other ingredients). And if it's not for taste why not leave it out.

Broccoli Cheddar
Chicken & Vegetable Stew
Chicken Noodle
Corn & Green Chili Bisque
Wild Mushroom Bisque
Specialty Soups
Beef & Vegetable Stew
12 Veggie Soup
Asparagus & Pea Soup
Baked Stuffed Potato
Barley & Creamy Lentil
Black Bean
Butternut Squash & Apple
Chicken & Dumpling
Chicken Florentine
Chicken Gumbo
Chicken Tortellini
Clam Chowder
Corn Chowder
Cream of Chicken & Wild Rice
Curried Rice & Lentil
French Onion
Garden Vegetable
Harvest Mushroom & Wheatberries
Italian Wedding
Lemon Orzo Chicken Soup
Pasta e Fagioli
Portuguese Kale
Potato Leek
Red Beans, Italian Sausage & Rice
Southwest Tortilla
Split Pea & Ham
Swiss Chard & Three Bean
Thai Coconut Shrimp Soup
Turkey Chili
Tuscan White Bean
Vegetable Beef Barley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink