Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 09:37 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
This is true. Back in the mid 2000s, the government got involved and instituted regulations for slow cookers. Many people are finding their entrees burned or dried out after an 8-hour cooking day.

I found my mom's old Rival Crock Pot (a 1974 model) a few years ago, and recently started using it. I'm happy I never even thought of tossing it. It was made in the U.S., is sturdy, and works as they were intended to work. Thankfully, someone posted the entire original cookbook/manual that came with that model (I haven't found that yet), so I can stick to the original cooking times since many newer cookbooks consider that the new ones run hot.

Slow cookers were meant to run for hours without drying out foods and, if used properly, will cook meat thoroughly (some people never could resist peeking and stirring).
flea markets and garage sales are good place to find made in the USA crocks. Even the Japan/ Korea made cookers from the 1980's are on par with the USA ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 09:40 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
flea markets and garage sales are good place to find made in the USA crocks. Even the Japan/ Korea made cookers from the 1980's are on par with the USA ones.

Yes, that's true. I love those places, and I have seen old models of crock pots/slow cookers there (they won't be getting mine, though lol).

I'm convinced that a lot of kids (adult children) of deceased people simply don't know or don't care about the value of some of those made-in-the U.S. items. Also, many simply want to clear out an estate as quickly as possible.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:26 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
...One way to compensate for this is to put frozen chicken in your crock pot in the morning...
Not a good idea - it'll spend too much time in the "danger zone."

Old 09-03-2014, 12:38 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,762,421 times
I'll probably visit this site for more recipe ideas.

Chicken Crockpot/Slow Cooker recipes: Slow Cooker Chicken Main Dish Recipes - Allrecipes.com

Old 09-03-2014, 01:19 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Not a good idea - it'll spend too much time in the "danger zone."
Been doing it for a gazillion years with no problems. In fact I have some salsa chicken cooking now that started out as a block of frozen chicken breasts this morning.

I know plenty of other people who do the same.

ETA that CrockPot agrees with me: http://www.crock-pot.com/service-%26...afety-faq.html (expand the third question)

OP, there's an easy crock pot recipe for you ... chicken breasts, an envelope of taco seasoning (or your own homemade blend), can of drained corn, can of drained and rinsed black beans, and a jar of salsa. No need to mix ... just dump the chicken, then the seasoning, then everything else on top. Shred and serve on corn chips with shredded cheese.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:26 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,762,421 times
Quote:
Been doing it for a gazillion years with no problems. In fact I have some salsa chicken cooking now that started out as a block of frozen chicken breasts this morning.

I know plenty of other people who do the same.

ETA that CrockPot agrees with me: Food Safety FAQ at Crock-Pot.com. (expand the third question)

OP, there's an easy crock pot recipe for you ... chicken breasts, an envelope of taco seasoning (or your own homemade blend), can of drained corn, can of drained and rinsed black beans, and a jar of salsa. No need to mix ... just dump the chicken, then the seasoning, then everything else on top. Shred and serve on corn chips with shredded cheese.
Sounds like that would make a great burrito or taco also.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
Sounds like that would make a great burrito or taco also.
Absolutely!

Old 09-03-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Been doing it for a gazillion years with no problems...
Everything always goes great until it doesn't.

Starting a slow cook with raw frozen chicken keeps it in the danger zone (40°F - 140°F) for too long.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Everything always goes great until it doesn't.

Starting a slow cook with raw frozen chicken keeps it in the danger zone (40°F - 140°F) for too long.
Well, I'm going to go with my experience and reassurance from the manufacturer. If you choose differently, that's up to you.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
...reassurance from the manufacturer...
LOL - ask the manufacturer if starting a slow cook with raw frozen chicken is okay. I'm quite sure the answer you get back will differ from what you expect .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink