Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2014, 09:19 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,943,308 times

Advertisements

I used to love Indian food. I've pretty much cooked every recipe in my Madhur Jaffrey and am very good at executing the techniques and recipes. I've got a cupboard of Indian spices and had been a semi-regular at our local Indian market. Wife and I used to go out for Indian as part of our regular rotation, particularly when a new place opened that had a more regional focus than the "standard" Indian menu.

But I've noticed in the past 2-3 years I've become quite ambivalent about Indian. Not that I hate it or anything, but given the choice of what to cook or where to go out to eat, it hasn't been Indian in quite awhile.

When I go out I want to be excited about what I'm going to taste and I'm not finding much novelty in Indian any longer.

That said, I was once quite bored with Italian until I went to Italy a few times and ate a hundred things that aren't typically served in the US (and especially not in Pittsburgh). So that revitalized my interest. However, I have no plans to be visiting India, so I'm not sure I'll ever rekindle my love for that cuisine.

Is there a cuisine you once really enjoyed that you no longer care about? Why do you think that is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 09:36 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,355,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I used to love Indian food. I've pretty much cooked every recipe in my Madhur Jaffrey and am very good at executing the techniques and recipes. I've got a cupboard of Indian spices and had been a semi-regular at our local Indian market. Wife and I used to go out for Indian as part of our regular rotation, particularly when a new place opened that had a more regional focus than the "standard" Indian menu.

But I've noticed in the past 2-3 years I've become quite ambivalent about Indian. Not that I hate it or anything, but given the choice of what to cook or where to go out to eat, it hasn't been Indian in quite awhile.

When I go out I want to be excited about what I'm going to taste and I'm not finding much novelty in Indian any longer.

That said, I was once quite bored with Italian until I went to Italy a few times and ate a hundred things that aren't typically served in the US (and especially not in Pittsburgh). So that revitalized my interest. However, I have no plans to be visiting India, so I'm not sure I'll ever rekindle my love for that cuisine.

Is there a cuisine you once really enjoyed that you no longer care about? Why do you think that is?
Dim Sum. I used to go about 2-3 times per month but over the last 2 years or so i've probably gone a handful of times and am never fully satisfied; its basically the stereotype where chinese food leaves you hungry after a couple hours. I dont know why, but it just doesn't sound as appealing, and because i usually have Dim Sum over the weekend i would rather go to another restaurant for lunch/brunch.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:41 AM

9,002 posts, read 10,131,703 times
Fried foods, Omg I used to love homemade fried chicken, fried pork chops, fried anything
Even fried bologna.....
It used to be my favorite meal -- homemade fried chicken, mashed potatoes w/ gravy & corn...
Not so much anymore-
I stay away from fried foods, now

Old 09-10-2014, 02:58 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,822,659 times
Eating out, it's sushi. I can crave it for a year, then not eat it for five. It's not that I hate it. If you want to go out for sushi, I'll join you. But on my own, I want to eat other things. But when that year arrives, there's nothing else I want to eat most days.

In terms of food I cook, I've never stopped liking anything, though I do get tired of things. I have a pecking order. Italian is number one, always. I will always cook Italian...pasta...fresh vegetables...fish or seafood. I usually only eat meat in a sauce. I wish the tomatoes were decent this year. I can eat nothing but tomatoes, mozzarella, and pesto for a month.

French and American tie for places 2 and 3. The number of times I've cooked haute French in the past year are few, but once you've learned French technique, everything is French.

I like to make Mexican food infrequently, but I don't get into making tortillas at home. Even in Pgh, I prefer to go out for Mexican.

I love fish and seafood. Meat is kind of ehhh.

Sometimes I get sick of cooking anything. Then it's canned soup & salad; or ice cream.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:39 PM

23,871 posts, read 32,141,209 times
Chinese food. I used to love it. I don't know weather it's gotten worse, or I've become tired of it, but I hardly crave it the way I once did.

To be fair, I once lived in a 'burb of NYC and Chinese food is practically a staple there. And it's very good.

However, my craving for Chinese, stopped while still living in NY.

It started to taste bland and greasy. Two "kiss of death" traits that are instant turn offs for me, when it comes to food.

It could be that Thia and Indian and other Asian cuisines have usurped the place Chinese food once held in my heart.

Anyone else feel that way?

Old 09-10-2014, 05:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,263,329 times
I think I'm over sushi.

It's okay, but after I have it, I'm usually underwhelmed.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:30 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,172,719 times
I think my palate has changed as I've gotten older, and there are some things I used to like that I'm very into anymore.

Over time I started to dislike curry, after liking it quite a bit for years. So I'm not that interested in many Indian dishes anymore. I've also lost interest in really rich sauces, and even things like Ranch Dressing and just mayo in general. Much of the time they just taste like crappy goop to me now.

That said, I've gotten much more into spicy cured meats, charred vegetables (especially brussel sprouts and broccoli rabe), and corn dishes (hominy, humitas, etc). So I've got plenty of things to step in and take the place of things I don't like anymore.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:31 AM

32,760 posts, read 35,972,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Chinese food. I used to love it. I don't know weather it's gotten worse, or I've become tired of it, but I hardly crave it the way I once did.

To be fair, I once lived in a 'burb of NYC and Chinese food is practically a staple there. And it's very good.

However, my craving for Chinese, stopped while still living in NY.

It started to taste bland and greasy. Two "kiss of death" traits that are instant turn offs for me, when it comes to food.

It could be that Thia and Indian and other Asian cuisines have usurped the place Chinese food once held in my heart.

Anyone else feel that way?
I feel exactly the same way. I used to love Chinese food, and now I never want to eat it again. I have a pattern, though. I crave a particular cuisine, eat it often, then grow tired of it.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:23 PM

23,278 posts, read 23,649,722 times
Thai food. Loved it prior to its rise to popularity (mid 90's) here in the US. Recently, just not as fond of it as I was of it, in the past. Seems to be very overpriced and trying to continue to live off of its fad past.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:43 PM

19,361 posts, read 27,576,013 times
Fried shrimp. As I kid, I could have eaten them 7 nights a week. Or Howard Johnson's Fried Clam Strips. Now, I'd much prefer my clams steamed or raw on the half shell. My shrimp should be cold with cocktail sauce, made in a very good Chinese restaurant, in bouillabaisse or scampi. And always LARGE or JUMBO size. Forget about those little weenie shrimp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink