Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 08:46 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,358,688 times

Advertisements

All of those are enclosed by GLASS, you want them enclosed by glass, with a glass topper too?

Old 09-11-2014, 11:11 AM

32,514 posts, read 47,553,130 times
Those are covered. They are enclosed inside a glass case. That photo isn't good enough to show all the flies crawling on the pastries.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:15 AM

575 posts, read 1,462,132 times
I'd be more worried about the cupcakes sitting on top since all it would take is one sneeze in the general area to contaminate them. I'm generally not too worried about germs though. You'd never eat out again if you'd seen some of the things I have in kitchens. Ranging from loose hair to the cooks using dish clothes to wipes their sweaty heads with. Not to mention so so so many places don't wear gloves and don't clean their ice machines (which by the way are disgusting inside because no one ever cleans them).

Old 09-12-2014, 05:42 AM

61,255 posts, read 86,144,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Packaging (aluminum foil aside) gives a "blehhh" taste to whatever item it is covering. If the pastries are in a glass case, why would they need to be covered?
^^^ This!
What's with the covers/gloves/germs/disinfectants paranoia... ?

Old 09-12-2014, 06:28 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,237,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post
And all of you people saying "what's wrong with that" are disgusting. You're probably the same people who eat picnics outside where there's like 100s of flies on everything and act like it's no big deal.
It isn't a big deal. Most people aren't as paranoid as you, and manage to live long, happy, healthy lives. (Probably happier and healthier, since they aren't getting themselves all stressed out and twisted up about insignificant things like this)

Old 09-12-2014, 08:28 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,408,739 times
I saw this on another site.
Quote:
Yes, everyone and everything on earth has germs. Every human is made up of more bacteria cells than human cells. Without bacteria humans couldn't digest food. Without bacteria humans couldn't make waste. Without bacteria, humans wouldn't be able to kill harmful bacteria as effectively.
Humans even require a certain kind of e.coli to survive.
I've managed to survive to fifty something without obsessing over things like this. Get over it already. Do you thing mankind has always had to worry about a few flies or insects. Modern man has been around for quite a while and sure we get sick sometimes but the body is designed to cope with all of the threats that may be around us.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:06 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,174,020 times
You can't just go around thinking about germs constantly. It will drive you crazy. Our fellow humans are crawling all over with germs.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:27 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,227,177 times
When my sister (12 years older than I) was a toddler, my mother caught her eating dirt and freaked out and rushed her to the wise old family doctor. Who examined her carefully, and then said, "Hmmm, must be something in it she needs." So when I came along, and as a toddler started eating dirt, Mama just shrugged and went about her business. (This was all long before the hygiene hypothesis.) We both picked up that attitude.

My sister was born in 1932. She's alive and well and only stopped doing competitive square dancing a few years ago (her husband, five years older, had a knee replacement and they just never got back to it), but travels often and has been basically healthy that entire time. Likewise myself.

Now, my son and his wife are extremely cautious about germs for our new 9-month-old grandson, as are we, but he has SCID, so they have every reason to be because he's one of the few people that germs ARE likely to be fatal to. And even then, if they are out (without him, because Grandma is babysitting), being foodies they'll eat food from food trucks and tamales from the tamale lady and even pastries that aren't individually wrapped (in fact, preferably pastries that aren't individually wrapped). And since he's had the bone marrow transplant and things are, knock on wood, looking good, hopes are that someday he will be able to do the same. Only the other day he ate the filling from a ravioli that was cooked in his other grandma's kitchen - and she has 4 dogs!

Old 09-12-2014, 02:41 PM

18,432 posts, read 34,250,517 times
Good grief. I guess the OP doesn't go to cook outs, and I am disgusting because I do? Oh well.... we can't all be perfect, I suppose.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:50 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,810,008 times
Ok OP, what about a restaurant? Im not talking a 5star steak joint, but even McDonalds...they fries are just sitting our, their burgers sit in trays...do you not eat there?

What about the grocery store? Do you never get fruits and veggies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink