U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 08:30 PM

2,838 posts, read 4,412,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I remember them. I remember the old glass cheese jars, too, w/ various soft, spreadable cheeses in them. I think it was Pimento and Cheese spread or something. LOL.
It’s still available—
https://www.heb.com/search/?q=Kraft+cheese+jar

I also remember other flavors of this—I know I bought some of the “Old English” within the past few years. We always used the glasses when I was a kid in the 60s! So it’s definitely been around for a while.
Dang! Those lids were HARD to remove!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 01:27 AM

504 posts, read 353,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
I also recall getting glasses in soap detergent boxes. Now the idea just seems odd! There were also giveaways of dishes and glassware when you went to the movies. You would match your ticket number to the one they called.
As a kid I remember my mother buying only either Tide and Borax for at least two or three years because each box contained a either a dinner plate, cup and saucer, or bread plate, etc.... She collected a whole set of dinnerware that way. The grocery stores also gave out S&H Greenstamps. Remember those? For every dollar you spent, the grocery store gave you a certain amount of stamps that were like postage stamps. You pasted them into a book. After you collected like 150 or 200 stamps, you could go to the S&H store and buy a toaster, blender, iron, pots or pans, electric blanket ...

During Christmas I always become nostalgic for the old tin coffee cans. Coffee always came in tin cans--never plastic canisters. Grandma (a thrifty child from the Depression) would always save her small Folger's coffee cans throughout the year. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas she would bake loaves of pumpkin and banana bread as well as fruit cakes in the tin coffee cans. I miss Grandma and that incredible bread.

There are many traditional recipes for Boston brown bread that call for it to be steamed in a tin coffee can. It's impossible to make these days because coffee can are either plastic or cardboard today. Bring back to old tin cans!

Old 01-12-2019, 06:35 AM

35,489 posts, read 43,706,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
It’s still available—
https://www.heb.com/search/?q=Kraft+cheese+jar

I also remember other flavors of this—I know I bought some of the “Old English” within the past few years. We always used the glasses when I was a kid in the 60s! So it’s definitely been around for a while.
Dang! Those lids were HARD to remove!
I still buy Old English cheese for a recipe I make. Isn’t the jar that dried beef comes in a jelly jar too?

Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM

17,935 posts, read 22,240,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
We still have several of the old jelly-jar glasses that used to be filled with various types of jelly flavors - mainly grape for me. Remember those? Some were plain, but others had various cartoon characters on them or popular movie characters - like Star Wars characters, Disney characters, Looney Tunes, etc.

What happened to them? I don't see them on the grocery shelves any more.

I used to love drinking juice from my Pooh Bear jelly glass in the morning, and those glasses were just the right size for my child's morning milk.

Anyone still seeing these on store shelves? What favorite jelly-jar glasses do you still have?
I don't see them anymore either. Growing up, Welche's Jelly glasses were a staple at informal breakfasts in my house.

Besides jelly. other foods came in jars that could be used as juice glasses or small milk glasses - Kraft made some cheese spreads - pimiento, roqua (sort of like a blue cheese) and English cheddar, that could also be upcycled as glasses. Saucee shrimp cocktail came in a cute little glass with a pedestal, if I remember correctly.

One would think that if recycling is a concern of many people, here would be a good place to start.

Maybe people are just too snobbish now to do this? My family was quite comfortable, and my sibs and I enjoyed our Flintstone glasses.

The other thing that comes to mind is that many people purchase food in very large quantities now, at places like Costco.

I for one, would love to see them return.

Old Today, 08:47 PM

13,947 posts, read 30,034,512 times
My grandfather used to save old glass peanut butter jars to reuse for drinking glasses. I also have some that were called ‘snuff glasses’ if anyone here knows what that is.

Old Today, 10:34 PM

7,753 posts, read 8,198,900 times
I loved those Flintstones glasses. Much later it became "tres chic" to use wine glasses as vases or candle holders.

Not only did we save metal coffee containers, but metal band-aid boxes too (usually to hold change).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink