Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 02:05 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times

Advertisements

My title basically says it all ... and I did try a search, but the closest recent thread I got was this one: Interesting critique of Olive Garden .

I had a friend visiting for a few days, and this past Tuesday we both got up insanely early as I wanted to go to work really early and he got up just to keep me company. I knew I'd be off work by 2:30 p.m. so we had decided to have dinner really early. (Yeah, the early-early-early-bird special!) I had a $50 gift card for Darden so decided to go to my local Olive Garden to pick up food off their "to go" menu (which is supposed to be the same food you get if you eat in ...).

I was starving by then (early afternoon) so I ordered appetizers (the "Create an Italian sampler" -- we chose stuffed mushrooms, toasted ravioli, and calamari), 2 entres (lasagna for him and chicken parmesan for me), and a dessert to split (chocolate mousse cake). I found a $5.00 coupon on retailmenot.com, which basically paid for the tip. (I got the order "to go" but still included a tip -- I have no idea of the etiquette but it would have felt weird to tip nothing.)

First, the good. RE: the appetizers, we both liked the calamari and I especially liked the stuffed mushrooms (I love love love mushrooms). The salads (which were included with the entres) were large and very good -- the ingredients were fresh and 1 salad was actually enough for both of us (we split the second one the next day -- it held up fine in my fridge). We both liked the dessert (what's not to like about chocolate mousse cake? ).

But then, the bad. The "toasted ravioli" appetizer was horrible -- we each took a bite and that was it. RE: entres, each entre is listed as coming with 2 breadsticks, but we got 3 total instead. (Seriously, a chain that advertises "endless breadsticks" doesn't even give what they list on the menu when you order to go? ) That was actually OK since the breadsticks weren't great; we each had part of 1 and threw away the 3rd. The entres were mediocre at best ... the portions were medium size, which would normally be fine, but I am used to having leftovers for the next day when I eat at a restaurant (lunch or dinner), so this was disappointing. OTOH, since they were only OK, it was fine not having them again for lunch the next day. (My friend had the lasagna, and I had a couple of bites, and I think the Stouffer's I sometimes have for lunch is better, and it costs 2 bucks at Wal-Mart!)

And the dessert? It was yummy, as I wrote above, but the portion was TINY and that one little piece cost (with tax) close to 6 bucks. Yep, about 3 bites each, so I guess a dollar a bite.

I am really glad I wasn't paying for this out of pocket; it would have been close to $50 for very mediocre food for 2 people without drinks. (And these were LUNCH prices, since the dinner hours hadn't yet started.)

The thing is, neither I nor my friend are "foodies" or food snobs; we have frequently eaten at chains and found them to be decent values. And I remember eating at Olive Garden many times when I lived in Ann Arbor and I have many fond memories of those occasions, but now I am wondering if it is the PEOPLE that I was with that I am remembering fondly and not the food (or the prices).

So ... is it just me, or has Olive Garden gone downhill?

Old 10-23-2014, 02:29 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
I eat there every few months because my mother likes it. I was never crazy about it, but I do think it's gone downhill, both in the quality and the size of the entrees. The last couple of times I've been there, they really push the endless salads and breadsticks (never gotten anything to go), as if they want you to fill up on that. Then, when you get the main dish...well, I feel like the person in the old joke "The food's no good and the portions are so small!" but there you have it. I've heard all their entrees are sent to them frozen...like a Stouffer's dinner.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:31 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
Olive Garden has always been mediocre. Your tastes have probably matured.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:06 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
I have been there a few times recently and the food quality was a lot BETTER than I remembered. Now that it is being operated by a private equity firm, you WILL see that the portions will be cut substantially and that every corner will be cut. I read their proposal and it looks like a recipe that will lead to a Chapter 11 reorganization.

In general, I am disappointed by MOST Italian food that I am served - chain or independent. At least OG is inexpensive.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:38 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Olive Garden has always been mediocre. I haven't been there in six years or more, so I have no idea what the food is like now. I used to go there with a girlfriend who like the soup and salad. My mother wanted to go a couple of times a year. I'll eat there, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:04 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
It hasn't been good since 1998.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:35 PM

709 posts, read 955,026 times
Lunch portions are always smaller.
I never liked any of their apps.
Soup, salad and breadsticks is a filling lunch.
Not fine dining, so can't expect it to be.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:39 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Olive Garden has never been good, as far as I remember, but just passable. I usually stick to appetizers, soup and salad; the last few entrees I've ordered have not been that tasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
It hasn't been good since 1998.
Are you sure it wasn't 1997?

Old 10-23-2014, 07:46 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Olive Garden has never been good, as far as I remember, but just passable. I usually stick to appetizers, soup and salad; the last few entrees I've ordered have not been that tasty.

Are you sure it wasn't 1997?
Nope.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:49 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,999,675 times
It's OK.

If you're comparing it to the delicious Sunday dinner prepared by a New Jersey-born, Italian American grandma....it is not even in the same universe. However if your expectations aren't too high, you'll eat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink