U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 07:45 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,645,868 times

Advertisements

Investor is critical of the number of breadsticks served and declining quality of the food. And who in their right mind would NOT salt the water for cooking pasta. Unreal.

Is Olive Garden
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 08:21 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,124,493 times
Saw this today as well. Based on the restaurants name I'm sure you have no issue with any bad press they get kudz.

Now if it said Mushroom Garden........

Old 09-13-2014, 08:32 PM

funny funny boy. I needed a little chuckle here at the end of the day

Old 09-13-2014, 08:43 PM

19,395 posts, read 17,110,488 times
Starboard Value should butt out of the restaurant business if it wants to negatively critique a high quality restaurant to the point of increasing prices, decreasing quality of food, portions and value, and adversely affecting sales and performance. I would not be surprised if popular companies currently traded publicly go private to avoid special interest groups.

Olive Garden does well serving up the never ending pasta bowl and providing unlimited breadsticks and salad. Darden needs to be careful about not endangering its remaining brands. It did not take care of Red Lobster, sold it recently, and the separate brand is seeing increased sales and performance.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Starboard Value should butt out of the restaurant business if it wants to negatively critique a high quality restaurant to the point of increasing prices, decreasing quality of food, portions and value, and adversely affecting sales and performance. I would not be surprised if popular companies currently traded publicly go private to avoid special interest groups.

Olive Garden does well serving up the never ending pasta bowl and providing unlimited breadsticks and salad. Darden needs to be careful about not endangering its remaining brands. It did not take care of Red Lobster, sold it recently, and the separate brand is seeing increased sales and performance.
Are you saying you consider Olive Garden a high quality restaurant? I certainly would not. Of course it's not fast food but high quality? Not to me. Yes good value for the kind of food it serves.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:58 PM

19,395 posts, read 17,110,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Are you saying you consider Olive Garden a high quality restaurant? I certainly would not. Of course it's not fast food but high quality? Not to me. Yes good value for the kind of food it serves.
What I perceive as a high quality restaurant is different from another's perception.

The three Olive Garden locations I have dined at so far have been good experiences.

As I think about it, I am getting hungry for the healthy and delicious Never Ending Pasta Bowl.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:10 AM

17,165 posts, read 22,189,403 times
ive heard olive garden is set up similar to a fast food restaurant....how the food comes in and prepared
it doesn't take a chef to be in their kitchen, just follow the instructions on the food portion.

we had a red lobster for a few months, they even had a lobster tank at the front of the restaurant with maine lobsters in it- but most of the lobster on the menu were from frozen warm water (spiny) lobster tails

I like the olive garden for what it is- its a national chain that does very well- but , to see people lined up and waiting for an hour to eat, while most of the independent, locally owned restaurants have died off- makes me cringe
apparently, they are doing something right

Old 09-14-2014, 05:01 AM

7,625 posts, read 13,992,012 times
Has anyone else noticed how Yahoo is OBSESSED with Darden Corp and their diners??? There is CONSTANTLY at least 3 "news articles" running on any Yahoo page about OG, Longhorn Steakhouse or Red Lobster. WHT????!?!?! Constantly bashing, constantly telling you "why they are losing business/revenue". I have no idea what their axe to grid is with this company, but it is apparent.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:53 AM

I've noticed most media cover Darden. but not anyone being obsessed. These restaurants serve many many people in our country. I think many people think of them as places to celebrate birthdays, family reunions, office parties, etc. And obviously there are many shareholders throughout the country. What is happening is news and should be reported.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:02 AM

6,044 posts, read 21,138,885 times
I really like Olive Garden but haven't gone in years. I tend to cook a lot of pasta at home, and I tend to favor mom-and-pop Italian restaurants.

I only salt the water I cook my pasta in 1/2 the time. I've never noticed any difference in the end result whatsoever. I'm really not sure what the point is, but I do it out of habit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or