Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 02:04 PM

293 posts, read 308,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Your "arguments" get more and more ridiculous as this thread goes on. Go read a sociology book and come back.
No, how about you get past second grade and come back?

Old 09-16-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But of course there will always be excuses as to why something can't be done.
That's correct. If you listen to people like her, you'd be convinced that these people are invalids and essentially completely helpless and totally dependent on you. As I said earlier in this thread, it's quite incredible how we went for millennia and then suddenly around 1990 or thereabouts apparently close to 200 million people became unable to feed, clothe, or in any way sustain themselves in any way without total assistance.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:12 PM

1,094 posts, read 1,139,468 times
I don't think it has been mentioned yet, but in many parts of the country there is an abundance of food growing outside. Lots of it is in parks, greenways, overhanging sidewalks and other public places. I look forward to this food more than anything else because it is perfectly ripened.

So far this year (and only counting the stuff I got at least a few pounds of), I've found pecans, chestnuts, walnuts, mulberries, blackberries, raspberries, apples, figs, persimmons, peaches, thimbleberries and paw paws. If I was hungry (or malnourished) I'd probably be willing to go for wild onions, passion flower fruit, dandelions and hickory nuts which are all abundant. I'd probably go for Polkweed and acorns if that's what I had to do to avoid SNAP.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:13 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,194,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboyo View Post
The rule of thumb for me is: if you're busy turning down rice and potatoes because they're too high in carbs, you're too rich to be receiving food and come back to me when you've learned not to be so picky. And a poor person doesn't need to be drinking tea, that's a luxury item. Water is fine for drinking, and not bottled water. There's water that comes from your tap.
Why is rice such a great food when I pay $15.00 for a rice plate at my local Asian restaurant but ifIconsider donating 20 lbs to my local food pantry, people suddenly scream, "omg carbs!"

There are entire cultures that have been raised on a primarily rice and cheap whole foods diet for thousands upon thousands of years with a zero obesity rate. No one got fat on rice before the 1990s when computers, and video games turned an entire culture of children sedentary. Rice has nothing to do with it; exercise and eating more calories than you burn off does.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
I don't think it has been mentioned yet, but in many parts of the country there is an abundance of food growing outside. Lots of it is in parks, greenways, overhanging sidewalks and other public places. I look forward to this food more than anything else because it is perfectly ripened.

So far this year (and only counting the stuff I got at least a few pounds of), I've found pecans, chestnuts, walnuts, mulberries, blackberries, raspberries, apples, figs, persimmons, peaches, thimbleberries and paw paws. If I was hungry (or malnourished) I'd probably be willing to go for wild onions, passion flower fruit, dandelions and hickory nuts which are all abundant. I'd probably go for Polkweed and acorns if that's what I had to do to avoid SNAP.
Foraging hasn't been mentioned, although it's valid, but someone did say that people should grow food if they're that poor. Probably that would be more realistic than having millions of people forage in the same general area, although on an individual scale it would certainly work.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
There are entire cultures that have been raised on a primarily rice and cheap whole foods diet for thousands upon thousands of years with a zero obesity rate. No one got fat on rice before the 1990s when computers, and video games turned an entire culture of children sedentary. Rice has nothing to do with it; exercise and eating more calories than you burn off does.
It's because people who are "the highly educated ignorant" have perpetuated a notion about how obesity is due to white bread or rice or pasta. They're terribly confused about life and have a lot of time to think about their confusion. That's why they will, on one day, come up with some theory about how we need to be eating more olive oil like Mediterranean cultures, and then the next day, say that pasta is bad for us, which Mediterranean cultures eat. Or they'll say that we've ignored Eastern diets that allow them to live longer lives, but then turn around and say that white rice that the same people eat is deadly poison.

Meanwhile, like I said, everyone else in the world just eats their food and lives their lives. It's pretty incredible what a lot of free time will lead to.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:27 PM

19,963 posts, read 30,059,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Roadkill
Are you joking?
deer and moose get hit in the roads, less people hunting means more deer in the roads..

so, the person who hits the animal, gets first refusal of keeping it- if they don't want it ., a warden may/will bring the dead critter to a local butcher to cut it up for a food bank/soup kitchen

Old 09-16-2014, 03:42 PM

19,963 posts, read 30,059,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post

good post - I agree, many folks could forage for local food that grows wild- combine this with open access fishing, game birds and wild game
if I were hungry and had a family to feed, id be trapping and hunting , and foraging

childhood friends use to go hunting after school and see what they could shoot for dinner,,,often it was a rabbit, or game birds,,and fishing, they were very good fishermen!

Old 09-16-2014, 04:41 PM

378 posts, read 1,203,461 times
I just added up the cost of one of my favorite basic meals, lentils and rice, and I can make about six servings for less than a dollar a serving. This is far cheaper than any fast food meal. And the best part is that it freezes well; I eat a couple servings and freeze the next few. But it takes knowing how to cook and being able to shop at the local ethnic (Pakistani owned) grocery. Any poor person could do the same with regular beans and rice from the local store for not too much more. You can make the same meal with ground beef but according to my calculations it will about double the cost, and adds additional time and effort to cook.

Last edited by redbean; 09-16-2014 at 04:58 PM..

Old 09-16-2014, 05:50 PM

20,866 posts, read 28,221,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I think it depends on what you buy but you can certainly eat healthy cheap.
I agree. I am not poor but middle class and there are times I would like to eat fresh seafood 2 times a week but can't afford it because it's so expensive. I refuse to pay $18.99 a pound for wild salmon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink