Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 01:04 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Instead of responding to every erroneous and/or ill-informed post on this thread, I'll let all you naysayers chew on this:

• Food insecurity is real
  • Food deserts are real
  • People without the ability to understand and remember simple food preparation instructions are real
  • Children who depend on the poor decisions of adults (including the school lunch program) for their meals are real
  • Not all households have food preparation tools (including a working stove)
  • Not all households have refrigeration
  • Inner-city corner markets are not known for their selections of quality food and/or fresh produce
Yep. On all counts.

293 posts, read 309,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Instead of responding to every erroneous and/or ill-informed post on this thread, I'll let all you naysayers chew on this:

• Food insecurity is real
  • Food deserts are real
  • People without the ability to understand and remember simple food preparation instructions are real
  • Children who depend on the poor decisions of adults (including the school lunch program) for their meals are real
  • Not all households have food preparation tools (including a working stove)
  • Not all households have refrigeration
  • Inner-city corner markets are not known for their selections of quality food and/or fresh produce
Here's something else that's real:

That for thousands of years mankind was able to figure out how to obtain food and then since 1990 a large population of people somehow became completely helpless and unable to feed, clothe, or even bathe themselves without the aid of society. The end.

2,966 posts, read 5,217,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Starches are cheaper than protein (meat, fish fowl, dairy), and starches are what make you fat. Some people can't afford to buy protein, except in the form of beans, so they live on rice and beans, or noodles, or potatoes. Those aren't "unhealthy" per se, but as a steady constant diet, they're fattening.
There are cultures who's entire diet is mostly based on these whole foods and there is no obesity. South America, Asia, India. Many of our ancestors were raised on these diets and they were thin, healthy, and muscular, because they worked and led active lives.

Starches never made anyone fat until the mid 1990s when people started playing video games all day while eating hot pockets and potato chips instead of whole food, unprocessed "starches."

Eating whole foods and carbs is never fattening unless you are eating processed carbs and not exercising.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboyo View Post
Here's something else that's real:

That for thousands of years mankind was able to figure out how to obtain food and then since 1990 a large population of people somehow became completely helpless and unable to feed, clothe, or even bathe themselves without the aid of society. The end.
Yes.

Malnutrition and starvation the world over started in 1990. Prior to this point in time, it never happened.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
By george, you're right! You've got a tiny bit of fiber and protien, and some B vitamins! All hail the conquering health food.
Ah, I see. So your entire argument is "unless you can figure out how someone can eat a gourmet meal three times a day, I will just blindly reject all of your suggestions." I eat this stuff all the time and am quite healthy, yet somehow this food is "not good enough" for a poor person. They apparently deserve more than me, and I pay for my food. OK, you've totally convinced me. Now I'm going to turn into a food activist for poor people like you and demand they all be allowed to go to Whole Foods. LOL.

I love talking to people like you.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Yes.

Malnutrition and starvation the world over started in 1990. Prior to this point in time, it never happened.
Yeah, particularly when someone like you says people aren't allowed to eat pasta, eggs, or ground beef because it's not fair. LMAO. Liberals, am I right? They're great at identifying problems that aren't there and then demanding solutions that are retarded.

All this person has done so far is say "scrambled eggs? YOU THINK PEOPLE SHOULD EAT SCRAMBLED EGGS??" And I then I go "also ground beef .." "GROUND BEEF? THE UNHEALTHIEST OF MEATS??" And then I go "and pasta ..." "PASTA, THE KILLER OF MILLIONS AND THE SCOURGE OF THE MODERN WORLD??"

And he/she will just keep doing this until I go "yeah, you're right, we need to give more money to feed these poor, helpless losers. I mean, people."

Old 09-15-2014, 01:09 PM

Riiiight. Because that's what I said.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Riiiight. Because that's what I said.
I invite everyone to review the last two pages of this thread and decide for themselves what was said.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:14 PM

I'm doubting that will be a problem.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:19 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,207 times
Quote:
And because there was access where you lived, there is the same access where everyone lives. Got it.

And, yes, I have spent significant portions of my life in poverty-stricken areas as well. Rural poverty (which, I know, I know, isn't REAL poverty, only "the ghetto" is "real" poverty ), as well as urban.
I have lived many years in one of the largest amish communities in the world, in addition to my experience living in the ghetto of a large industrial city. My next door neighbors were and old order amish family with 15 children, several adults and 6 grandchildren. How can the amish with no jobs and extreme numbers of mouths to feed and clothe manage to do it 100% across the board? Oh yes, they also have no cars and only ride horses to the nearest store over 5 miles away!

Guess what the impoverished amish do? (The amish do not consider themselves impoverished despite having no jobs and no money) They put seeds in the ground and grew their own nutritious food. Being rural does not give someone a free pass. They saved a seed, put it in the ground and cared for it!

WVa is filled with run down shacks sitting on 10 acres of land and you wont find one single veggie seed in the grounds, but a torn up couch on the front porch with 300 lbs food stamp recipients sitting on it. This is not a stereotype, it is a real everyday sight in that state.

People have no idea of our country's history and how our ancestors fought and died for the right to own land. They would be appalled at the site of so many obese and lazy people today, lounging on a parcels of land that only the wealthy aristocracy would be allowed to own in old Europe. Many of our ancestors came to this country as indentured servants, basically white slaves, for the opportunity to own even a small piece of land in the future.

Elderly and handicapped people are a whole 'nother story, and there are govt programs set up to serve these people who have a real excuse.

Last edited by L0ve; 09-15-2014 at 01:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink