Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 05:37 AM

5,643 posts, read 15,643,991 times

Advertisements

I recently had an amazing hamburger at a fine restaurant for only $6 (at the bar). The name of the restaurant? Flemings Steakhouse.

The next day, I had a burger at Red Robin and paid about $10! It was cheaper and much better at Flemings.

I want to try out more burgers at fine restaurants.

I think Ruth Chris has something similar at the bar for about $6-7.

Does anyone know of any other fine dining franchises that offer great burgers at similar prices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 06:58 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,953,990 times
Only one time, I ordered a burger at a fine establishment.

It was capital grille in Orlando. It was pretty good. Supposedly it was rated best burger in Orlando by a reputable mag.
It was good but not cheap.

But I am glad you brought this up. I am tempted to check it out now.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:12 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,227,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
I recently had an amazing hamburger at a fine restaurant for only $6 (at the bar). The name of the restaurant? Flemings Steakhouse.

The next day, I had a burger at Red Robin and paid about $10! It was cheaper and much better at Flemings.

I want to try out more burgers at fine restaurants.

I think Ruth Chris has something similar at the bar for about $6-7.

Does anyone know of any other fine dining franchises that offer great burgers at similar prices?
The thing is, they're only charging $6 (only at the bar, and only during certain hours) because they're trying to entice people to buy alcohol ... the real money maker. If that exact same burger were on their regular dinner menu, it would probably be at least twice the price.

I hate the silly games restaurants play.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:24 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,354,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
The thing is, they're only charging $6 (only at the bar, and only during certain hours) because they're trying to entice people to buy alcohol ... the real money maker. If that exact same burger were on their regular dinner menu, it would probably be at least twice the price.

I hate the silly games restaurants play.
I read an article in one of the NY Magazines or newspapers (dont remember the link) about Burgers in upscale restaurants and why some restaurants limit where/when they serve it to customers. A couple points i remember
  • They dont want to become known for their burgers. There is a NYC restaurant called Minetta Tavern that serves a Black Label burger that have received numerous accolades. The restaurant seems ok with it, but others dont want the attention
  • Chefs would rather create other dishes rather than cook burgers
  • Burgers aren't a moneymaker, compared to other main course dishes, especially at a steakhouse.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:28 AM

68,271 posts, read 53,994,055 times
Not a franchise but supposed to be VERY good.

burger joint @ Le Parker Meridien Hotel NY

Old 09-18-2014, 02:33 PM

19,212 posts, read 15,077,335 times
One of the best burgers we've ever had is at a place called Dave's Burgers in Long Beach. It's practically a shack, only big enough for a couple of people to cook and serve the burgers. No fries or anything else, but you can have chips and sodas.

The best part is, there is only the outside eating area -- and it's located in the parking lot of a corner gas station, lol. Mmmm, delicious burger with a side of exhaust fumes... Yes, please! It is worth it, though.

Doesn't really belong here, OP, it belongs in an opposite version, but it's the first thing I thought of when I saw your thread.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:53 PM

29,627 posts, read 34,082,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
  • Chefs would rather create other dishes rather than cook burgers
  • Burgers aren't a moneymaker, compared to other main course dishes, especially at a steakhouse.
I can buy this. If I'm going to bother eating out at nice restaurant, I'd rather experience one of their better, more creative dishes. There are plenty of other places to get a good burger.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:05 PM

5,643 posts, read 15,643,991 times
Many of the burgers made at fine steak houses process an expensive mix of meat into the patty. For example, the Prime Burger at Flemings is made using USDA aged prime beef. Other steakhouses will mix a prime rib along with Chuck or something of that sort. I definitely do notice the burgers at steakhouses taste far "cleaner" (and don't feel so sickly like I do at fast food joints). I've just been extremely pleased with the basic burgers served at several high end steak places. I've never bought a drink with it, and there was no pressure doing so.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:09 PM

156 posts, read 136,800 times
Rule #1 to a good hamburger is not having a meatloaf thick one. All the best ones are thin and cook 1950's style on a grill. My favorite is a pizza burger from a leftover 1950's lake drive-in still open near me. The mozzarella cheese is the filling inside with marinara sauce and crispy bacon on top. Those slide down so easy, I can pound at least two, sometimes three down by myself along with an order of mozzarella cheese sticks and a large root-beer float.

Culver's makes their hamburgers 1950's style as well, they are better tasting than most all other places. Another place that is similar is Schoops....

Five Guys and all those places are overrated to me.......must be a big city thing or something.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:12 PM

19,954 posts, read 29,993,449 times
The BEST burger (restaurants) grind their own burgers -fresh everyday!!! and NOT open a box of frozen pink slime patties

if I were serving burgers, id be buying whole bnls chucks and grinding them for FRESH burgers!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink