Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 12:00 AM

23,064 posts, read 28,774,691 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else get annoyed with this sticker label madness today on fruit? Not looking close enough, looking up at my computer screen, I took a bite and I bit right into the sticker label! Makes me wonder if I've accidentally eaten some of them before and didn't know it!

Isn't there some other way to let us know what brand of apple we're eating, or what country it came from, by branding it perhaps?

I've also found them on vegetables, and there I go cutting up a green pepper and, if I hadn't seen it time, into the stockpot it would have gone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 12:15 AM

156 posts, read 136,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Does anyone else get annoyed with this sticker label madness today on fruit? Not looking close enough, looking up at my computer screen, I took a bite and I bit right into the sticker label! Makes me wonder if I've accidentally eaten some of them before and didn't know it!

Isn't there some other way to let us know what brand of apple we're eating, or what country it came from, by branding it perhaps?

I've also found them on vegetables, and there I go cutting up a green pepper and, if I hadn't seen it time, into the stockpot it would have gone!
Yep, all the apples and cider I eat and drink come from less than a 10 mile radius. Most within -5 miles. I know where it came from and they don't use stickers. It's all local and fresh.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:18 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,456,109 times
I usually remove stickers when washing/rinsing fruits and veggies.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:45 AM

175 posts, read 364,028 times

12 Food Facts You Won't Believe Are True - YouTube

Old 09-19-2014, 03:01 AM

47,835 posts, read 21,870,215 times
I am also annoyed by the stickers on soft fruit.....I don't want to tear the skin on tomatoes or peaches or plums....as the skin is a barrier to bacteria...but sometimes I cant get the sticker off without tearing the skin. I have also found the sticker got cut up along with the green pepper and went into the sauce. Grrrrrr

Old 09-19-2014, 03:11 AM

23,064 posts, read 28,774,691 times
Youtube video above: FDA considers those sticker labels to be Food Grade. They're safely? edible!!

So save those sticker labels, put them away somewhere, so when you run out of food, you can eat the sticker labels! With a little salsa? Ketchup? Sour Cream?

Old 09-19-2014, 04:28 AM

19,954 posts, read 29,993,449 times
often, I put fruit in the plastic bags they have- and I will tear them off and place them on the bags,,,,

so the cashier will then weigh the bag , without weighing individually

here's a tip- if cashier goes to weigh soft fruits(not in bags) on scale -ask her/him to place to place a plastic piece of paper (like the deli uses called satin paks - to weigh on -often the scale is also the upc scanner that all groceries go over- including raw chicken (think juices)

I go to many stores and will grab a few soft fruits for snacks, and the cashiers will put them right on the belt/scanner that everything else goes on- then I ask if there are food grade "wipes" to polish/sterilize the fruit before I eat them,,,always met with a blank stare

Old 09-19-2014, 05:40 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,188,962 times
LOL the FDA considers all those artificial colors and flavors that cause ADD in milllions of children safe, also.

I don't hate the stickers. sometimes when I scan my own groceries, I'd rather have a sticker than have to look it up. But my other half takes them off his fruit and puts them in the sink. THAT's what I hate.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:02 AM

6,809 posts, read 6,891,317 times
OP, don't you thoroughly wash your fruits and veggies before you eat them? I consider removing the sticker part of the cleanup process. Doesn't bother me a bit.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:36 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,227,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

Clearly you're not washing your fruit before eating it. You have bigger problems than a sticker.

I don't want my produce BRANDED because people like can't be bothered to take the time to wash their fruits and veggies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink