Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 01:17 PM

335 posts, read 409,867 times

Advertisements

Wheaties is a horrible food product for consumption. It is a high gluten
wheat allergy provoking cereal admitedly not poison like the high frutose high
sugar cereals brainless moms with zero nutrition knowledge force feed
their little victims. (then diagnosis their hyper little demons with ADD or
ADHD) Ok maybe no money and the government is brainess?

Last edited by Inattentive; 09-21-2014 at 01:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 02:58 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,069,460 times
I haven not eaten cereal in many years. But I loved Honey Nut Cheerios. They are special to me also because it was a honey nut cheerios box that had the first advertisement I ever saw for Star Trek: The Next Generation! I thought oh boy Star Trek is going to be made again! I loved watching reruns of The original Series! Spock is an adroid! And it has the guy from Reading Rainbow! lol

I always thought Chex was also a really good cereal because it stayed crunchy in milk. And it makes a good snack without milk.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:05 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Too expensive and it has zero food value. I probably eat cereal once a year...

Old 09-21-2014, 03:13 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I love those sweet cereals,,,but try to eat more healthy like bacon and eggs
This cracks me up!

Ten years ago, everybody thought bacon and eggs were full of fat (they are...yum!) and would give you a heart arrack. Cereals were all the rage, as "heart-healthy". We've done a 180 on this!

Old 09-21-2014, 03:32 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
This cracks me up!

Ten years ago, everybody thought bacon and eggs were full of fat (they are...yum!) and would give you a heart arrack. Cereals were all the rage, as "heart-healthy". We've done a 180 on this!
Correct, and it's sad to see how society today lacks in food knowledge as our forefathers. In my culture we used to sprout and soak things like wild rice and nuts/seeds before consumption knowing it helps during digestion. Meat was a staple along with healthy carbs, no processed sugars or breads/pastas.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:32 PM

692 posts, read 1,004,676 times
Not surprised between the rise in wheat and gluten allergies and consumers wising up to the actual nutritional contents versus the claims made by companies in their ads. Cereal companies marketed the bejeebus out of their products the last couple decades not to mention how quick and easy cereal is compared to other traditional breakfast foods which take time and require preparation, but pricing and too much variety killed them. Boxes shrank, options tripled and prices shot up in traditional food stores. Between cheaper generic brands and places like Aldi, trader Joe's, Target and Costco that sell the exact same or similar cereals for far less and parents not wanting to shovel more sugar into their children it's no wonder the demand for sugary kid centric cereals are fading.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:13 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,789 times
I spend under $3 at Winco for a large box of cereal. Typically shredded mini wheat, raisin bran, grape nuts or honey bunches of oats. They are not the healthiest options but they do have protein and on busy days (about once a month) we like to have cereal for dinner. I wouldn't pay much more than that for a box though.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:50 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
General Mills is closing a local plant putting 400+ people out of work. The plant makes cereal.
General Mills is reorganizing its entire North American supply chain (a project announced in June), so I wouldn't read too much into the closing of the Lodi plant as it pertains to cereal. Simultaneous with that announcement, GM also announced it would be closing its Methuen, Massachusetts - that plant makes Yoplait, sales of which are booming.

The production at these two plants is not going to be eliminated but shifted to other GM facilities. In the case of Lodi's cereal prodiction, that will be shifted to other plants, such as those in Buffalo and Cedar Rapids. Yogurt production will similarly be shifted, not to mention expanded.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:50 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,250,645 times
I like Rice Chex. I don't usually buy them, because of their price. I want to try a store brand. What store brand is the best? Are any of them as good as real Rice Chex?

Old 09-21-2014, 08:03 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inattentive View Post
Wheaties is a horrible food product for consumption. It is a high gluten
wheat allergy provoking cereal admitedly not poison like the high frutose high
sugar cereals brainless moms with zero nutrition knowledge force feed
their little victims. (then diagnosis their hyper little demons with ADD or
ADHD) Ok maybe no money and the government is brainess?
Oh honestly! You are so full of gluten (since it seems to be worse than crap to you) and I don't even eat them.

Gluten isn't poison. Some people are intolerant or outright allergic to it. They shouldn't eat it.

That is it.

It also doesn't cause ADD or ADHD......but I doubt you really care about the issue and not just your pet nutritional peeve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink