Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 05:00 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,250,785 times

Advertisements

Key Lime Pie...bec I learned working at the best restaurant in Key West.
In my opinion, back in the day...

PS I would have given a bunch of reps here, but they won't let me,
I gave too many in a 24 hr period, they say...I get that alot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 06:17 AM

487 posts, read 744,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Key Lime Pie...bec I learned working at the best restaurant in Key West.
In my opinion, back in the day...

PS I would have given a bunch of reps here, but they won't let me,
I gave too many in a 24 hr period, they say...I get that alot!
I LOVE Key Lime Pie! I need to work on getting that recipe perfected. Do you do a traditional crust or a graham cracker one?

Old 09-25-2014, 06:38 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,250,785 times
Graham...I'll put the recipe here..soon.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:50 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,988,140 times
I give fudge , muffins and cookies in my xmas boxes and that is the most I do at that time of year . and I also include the recipes on a card ... that one step further makes it special .

Old 09-25-2014, 08:23 AM

5,122 posts, read 4,456,632 times
I don't have one favorite dessert that I give. I give gifts based on what the recipient likes (if I know that), or by the season or occasion. For example, during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, I give different gifts than what I give during the summer.

That said, these desserts have always been popular as gifts, so I've given a lot of them: orange caramel bourbon cake, chocolate cherry cake, bourbon balls, and cheesecake.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:29 AM

555 posts, read 800,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
What is your favorite HOMEMADE dessert type food to give as a gift to someone who has done something nice for you?
Depends on what they like and what travels well. Cakes, cookies, pies, etc. travel well, so they frequently factor into the mix. Sometimes I will make boba milk tea, ice cream, and pudding, but that requires special packaging. All depends on what they like and how far I have to travel.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:24 AM

15 posts, read 14,607 times
Default Gift Desserts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlee View Post
Depends on what they like and what travels well. Cakes, cookies, pies, etc. travel well, so they frequently factor into the mix. Sometimes I will make boba milk tea, ice cream, and pudding, but that requires special packaging. All depends on what they like and how far I have to travel.
I don't know how to say this without sounding overly fastidious. We don't give food gifts, and we do not like to receive them either. Neither my husband or I will eat foods that other people have made in their private homes. (We know restaurants are not perfect either.) We don't buy from bake sales. We also avoid invitations to dinners or parties in private homes...unless it is to a relative's home.

We have seen some friends cooking who really had some terrible ideas of preventing foodborne illnesses...not washing their hands after using the bathroom or petting the dog, using the same cutting board to cut raw veggies and fruits that they had just cut raw meat on without even washing it, leaving some foods out in the sun for 4-5 hours. We once both became very ill after eating at a friend's house. No more for us. I know that we are probably missing out on some yummy treats, but eating them is a risk. At least restaurants are held to a higher standard...even though you can't be sure they follow all the rules.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:36 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,728,972 times
A toss up between pecan pie or fudge.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:38 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,043,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GSstage1 View Post
A toss up between pecan pie or fudge.

Personally if I had a choice I would request the fudge simply because I like it better than pecan pie but both are delicious.

There are things that others request I make and I will make those things for those people. Otherwise whatever I feel like sending is what is sent and that depends on the dietary needs of those I am sending to.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:36 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,291,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
What is your favorite HOMEMADE dessert type food to give as a gift to someone who has done something nice for you?
Friendship bread or candy, but I prefer to give home canned goods, especially salsa if I know they like spicy foods or unusual jams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink