Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 11:31 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,202 times

Advertisements

In Florida, they sell crocodile tacos.... which I honestly would've tried, but got sidetracked.

Commercial rats, that would even be FDA approved? Probably not, although price could be a factor otherwise.
(Ancient) Roman vice had rats served at parties. The rats were fed peppers, pork, and bell peppers, then roasted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 11:33 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,395 times
Yes, farm raised or not.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
I'd be more likely to eat a well cooked rat than the big grubs i see some cultures view as a food source.
http://edibug.files.wordpress.com/20...pg?w=300&h=214

Old 09-25-2014, 12:33 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Eating a rat scavenger in the big city, no way! But commercialized farm-raised rats, now that I might try, how about you?

In India, Vijoy Prakash, principal secretary in the Dept. of Rural Development has caused controversy by suggesting that restaurants should put rat meat, very high in protein, on their menu's, with the suggestion of farm-raised rats.

There's a very low-caste group of people India, call the Musahars, and have long been a rat-eating caste of people, preferring the rats caught in fields.

50 years ago, chicken had the same taboo in Patna, and wasn't even allowed in their homes.

Prakash was invited to a Mushar home for lunch, rats had been fried, cooked in curry, served with rice, and he claimed it was delicious!

And if we could overcome our horror of rats, wouldn't this help the malnourished in the world?
Probably not, just because they gross me out, but if I wasn't predisposed to think they are not something we eat, who knows? There are many things people in other countries eat I would not tough and visa versa. You pretty much have answered your own question. People and cultures decide our eating habits most of the time. In Egypt Pigeons are eaten, but you wouldn't get me to eat one.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:11 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,891,679 times
I couldn't eat them because I used to raise and show my mice, and had rats as pets. And I would never eat a wild rat in another country. Rats carry too many diseases, especially in their urine. And rats urinate when they're scared, like when they're about to be killed. So no thanks.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:09 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Some cultures eat rodents like squirrels and Guinea Pigs and claim they taste good, if you get hungry enough i guess you'll eat anything.If prepared the right way i'd give it a try.
Guinea Pigs seem to be popular in S.America, look just like rats to me.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=Coyee...g+roasted+peru
A lot of people in the USA eat squirrel all the time. I do not. I don't think I would want to eat a rat no matter where it was raised..

Old 09-29-2014, 08:06 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,692,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I used to have two pet rats. They were so sweet and lovable. I never got rats again as their lives are so short. So no I just can't eat something I used to keep as a pet. That's why I never got a pet pig!
I had pet rats too and there is no way I could eat them.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:36 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lady123 View Post
I had pet rats too and there is no way I could eat them.
I also had rats as pets. They're smart. Scary smart, not to mention very affectionate.
So no...I couldn't eat them.
I do eat chicken. Even Dr. David Suzuki called chickens "low-flying vegetables."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink