Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 09:45 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,423,548 times

Advertisements

I'd still eat everything on the list with the exception of three..

Liver and onions.
Canned ravioli.
Tuna Casserole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 07:14 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I actually loved liver and onions as a kid. What a rude awakening it was after I got married and cooked it for the first time.

Old 09-25-2016, 03:27 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandercrasher View Post
Cottage Cheese Salad sounds revolting.
as is potato salad...and most salads...except for fruit salad

Old 09-25-2016, 03:35 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
hot dogs yuck and salt fish that came in a box every Friday in lent. Oh I did not want that to eat-

Old 09-26-2016, 03:15 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
For me it was zucchini

My mother couldn't cook, so they were always hopelessly soggy and bitter tasting.
Yep, exactly! I didn't know that I even liked zuccini until I learned how to cook it. My mom cut it into chunks, boiled it until it was mush and then put margarine and salt on the mush. Blech!

One of my favorite way of cooking zuccini? Grate it into a frying pan, fry with butter, add a bit of cream, garlic powder and a little bit of beef boulion (I use Knorr cubes) Stir it up and serve. Yum!

Old 09-26-2016, 03:54 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,206 times
I agree with other posters who hated peas and lima beans. I still cannot eat them. They gag me. My parents made me eat at least one piece of those when served, just in hopes I would develop a fondness for them. NEVER did...and never will. Awful texture.

We had tuna casserole every other Friday...alternating with fish sticks the opposite week. I didn't mind the fish sticks, but no thanks to the tuna casserole. Would force a few fork fulls and hope for a good breakfast next day!

Liver and onions...well, my mom cooked the onions with strips of bacon and I would eat that, just not the disgusting and over cooked slabs of liver. Gross.

As kids, we didn't get the choices that today;s kids get. It was either "take it or leave it", but if it was "leave it", we went hungry. Not a bad way to raise kids. We grew up eating just about everything, and without complaints. The things we didn't like we just had a bite and never complained.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:54 PM

17,172 posts, read 15,382,471 times
This list is odd...

Does the average mom really feed her kids this type of stuff regularly?

1. Creamed Corn - Never really ate canned vegetables. I've tried several kinds, and they all taste terrible.

2. baloney and mayo sandwiches -
Never really understood why people buy this and eat it on a regular basis. It's the equivalent to the cheapest hot dog you can find.

3.fish sticks -
Luckily, mom fried or baked her own fish. I had these a handful of times in my life, and hated them each time.

4. liver and onions -
Although my mother didn't cook this, I've had it, and I thought it was pretty good. There's a soul food restaurant nearby that sells it, and I've ordered it a few times.

5. instant mac and cheese -
Why? It's not that hard to make a standard mac n cheese...

6. Spam -
Again, why? Who eats this? And why would you feed it to your kids?

7. Jello -
We ate this as kids. We liked it. My kids like it as well.

8. canned spaghetti ravioli -
I had the displeasure of trying canned spaghetti and canned ravioli once in my adult life, and it was some of the absolute worst **** I ever ate. As with the mac n cheese, it's not like making a standard spaghetti dish is difficult.

9.school lunch pizza -
Yeah, this was pretty bad.

10. tuna noodle casserole -
Never had this. Although it really doesn't look bad.

12. pot pies -
Who doesn't like these? Even the cheap, frozen ones taste good.

13. cottage cheese salad. -
What is this stuff? I like cottage cheese, but I'm not sure I'd like it with those added ingredients.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 09-27-2016 at 01:06 PM..

Old 09-27-2016, 03:07 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I agree with other posters who hated peas and lima beans. I still cannot eat them. They gag me. My parents made me eat at least one piece of those when served, just in hopes I would develop a fondness for them. NEVER did...and never will. Awful texture.

We had tuna casserole every other Friday...alternating with fish sticks the opposite week. I didn't mind the fish sticks, but no thanks to the tuna casserole. Would force a few fork fulls and hope for a good breakfast next day!

Liver and onions...well, my mom cooked the onions with strips of bacon and I would eat that, just not the disgusting and over cooked slabs of liver. Gross.

As kids, we didn't get the choices that today;s kids get. It was either "take it or leave it", but if it was "leave it", we went hungry. Not a bad way to raise kids. We grew up eating just about everything, and without complaints. The things we didn't like we just had a bite and never complained.
I like your post!!

after being forced to eat veggies as a kid I never did that to my kid

and ironically,,,the kid today is a health nut....in his mid 20's doesn't eat sweets
likes his veggies...

and I haven't had an evil pea or disgusting lima bean in over 30 years,,
to all the parents who force their kids to eat veggies,,,back off!! the opposite can happen..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink