Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 05:41 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If you look at the "meat" at places like Subway, its enough to make anyone a veggie sub eater.
Agreed, while i like their veggie delight sub i wont go near their meat products. theres just too many better options. Like the local deli, Made on the spot = Hungarian salami piled high on a Kaiser bun and topped with a few slices of aged cheese and some spicy mustard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 08:33 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Veggies subs............h3ll yeah, as long as you pile one the meataliciousness!

So yeah, Veggie-Franken_subs = FAIL in my book.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:41 PM

19,499 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Not exactly a sub, but it was a very veggie concoction - grilled eggplant and cheese flatbread (?) type of sandwich from a brewery restaurant.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
I haven't eaten meat on subs or salads or in Chipotle bowls/burritos etc for at least a decade...and absolutely agree with OP that these foods are already sumptuously flavorful by themselves, sans meat.

I'm honestly surprised in my mind (I don't say anything out loud) when people put meat all over theirs. It already tastes so freakin' good without adding expensive, unnecessary, unhealthy meat, but for many people meat is a habit and they're psychologically unsatisfied without it.

I understand that paradigm too because I was raised in a family with meat-at-every-meal. I had a paradigm shift in my 20's. Meat-free, saving $ & health.

I just Remember those vitamin B-12 & iron supplements
now, it sounds to me like you are being a little judgmental. To you, a vegetarian diet is healthier and more tasty plus less expensive, to many of us we will probably always prefer our meat, maybe smaller portions, but we do like it. Anything in moderation will not affect our health as long as it isn't poison or we are not allergic to it. You say eating meat is an unhealthy habit, maybe some feel your vegetarian diet is unhealthy and that is why you have to depend on vitamin supplements.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:07 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I can like many veggie dishes. I had a Black Eyed Pea burger with roasted red pepper aioli a couple times at a local restaurant, and it is really awesome.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I can like many veggie dishes. I had a Black Eyed Pea burger with roasted red pepper aioli a couple times at a local restaurant, and it is really awesome.
We do also, I think we have been eating veggie burgers for 15 years. Sam's used to carry a good one that was very inexpensive. Now, they are higher than ground sirloin, if you actually look at the size of the portions compared to cost. I have found one brand at WalMart that is pretty good and less expensive. of course I do not shop that often at WalMart and it seems, when I am there I forget to pick a package up.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:21 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Since you say you've only been a vegetarian for a couple of months, you should no better to think that people that eat meat don't like vegetables. Honestly almost nobody is worse than the new found vegetarian convert.
I know. My daughter went vegan a month ago. The week before that, I'd treated her to a prime rib dinner, which she ate with gusto and kept the leftovers for the next day.

I have had vegetarian periods in my life for different reasons, and I still make sure I have meatless days. But my daughter had been watching food industry videos with her boyfriend (they became vegan together--he ate steak and lobster on his last day before switching) and would not shut up about how I have to watch those shows and learn about horrible the food industry really is...told her I've known this for years, but she wouldn't stop bugging me to watch those awful videos until I made it clear that I was NEVER going to watch them. For the past month, I made her vegan food, I ate vegan food with her, I took her to a vegan restaurant (very good stuff there, by the way).

Yesterday she left to live in another country. It was an all-day ordeal because of the fire in the Chicago control facility, and I was starving when I finally got to go home. Before I went home, I got an order of Buffalo wings and a half-gallon of salted caramel ice cream to enjoy on my couch.

Today I'll eat the leftover seitan satay I had at the vegan restaurant, but last night, I needed meat and dairy.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:14 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
now, it sounds to me like you are being a little judgmental. To you, a vegetarian diet is healthier and more tasty plus less expensive, to many of us we will probably always prefer our meat, maybe smaller portions, but we do like it. Anything in moderation will not affect our health as long as it isn't poison or we are not allergic to it. You say eating meat is an unhealthy habit, maybe some feel your vegetarian diet is unhealthy and that is why you have to depend on vitamin supplements.
good post,, i'm glad to see someone writing this

I know many many in the food/meat business, from farmers raising cattle to many butchers- a lot of good hard working people in this world depend on the selling of meat to make a living .

Old 09-27-2014, 02:31 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
I'm honestly surprised in my mind (I don't say anything out loud) when people put meat all over theirs.
I'm surprised when one person makes it his or her business what any other person eats, or questions why he or she eats it.

Old 09-27-2014, 04:40 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,007,284 times
Anything that is tomato heavy, yes. I grew up on tomato sandwiches. Without bacon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink