Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 01:22 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times

Advertisements

Many people are not interested in great tasting food the preference by many seems to be super size rather than super taste.

Look in the parking lot of the chains that serve a lot of food and the parking lots of the great quality restaurants, that will tell you what Americans want.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:32 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Many people are not interested in great tasting food the preference by many seems to be super size rather than super taste.

Look in the parking lot of the chains that serve a lot of food and the parking lots of the great quality restaurants, that will tell you what Americans want.
Exactly! People seem to want cheap, supersized meals loaded with sugar, salt and empty calories which can be wolfed down in the car.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:34 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post

I don't know how accurate an indicator that would be. Personally, I cook many meals at home and they're better than what I'd get in the chains. I simply couldn't afford to eat in a quality restaurant every night without giving up something else that I'm not currently willing to.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:39 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
It amazing how many people don't realize how pervasive "French" cuisine is and has been on American cuisine.
This is exactly my thought. It seems like French cooking is used widely in most good restaurants, whether or not they are called Chez Luc or Bistro Bernard. When I think of french food, I think a perfectly roasted bird with steamed vegetables. An apple tart for dessert.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:44 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Exactly! People seem to want cheap, supersized meals loaded with sugar, salt and empty calories which can be wolfed down in the car.
Yep, and that's true even in France.

Quote:
And yet McDonald’s, the world’s largest fast-food corporation, with a global presence in 119 countries across all six inhabited continents, has turned the home of Le Cordon Bleu cooking academies and the Michelin Guide of world-renowned restaurants into its second-most profitable market in the world. The chain has more than 1,200 restaurants in France — all locally owned franchises — and a growth rate of 30 restaurants per year in the past five years alone.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:46 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Yep, and that's true even in France.
Sacre Bleu!

Old 10-07-2014, 01:50 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
To the French, eating/food is more than just the cooking techniques and ingredients, it's also a way of living. They respect food and the ritual of eating way more than Americans do. They tend not to gulp down food on the run.

The "slow-food" movement you see here is a return to French (and other cultures) attitudes towards eating.
Yup, that's what I'm saying. I live in a French city. A meal lasts forever and is savored.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:57 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
It appears we've found the answer to the OP's question: Why hasn't French cuisine caught on in the U.S.?

Answer: It's caught on so well that we don't recognize it as French any longer.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:59 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:

And yet McDonald’s, the world’s largest fast-food corporation, with a global
presence in 119 countries across all six inhabited continents, has turned the
home of Le Cordon Bleu cooking academies and the Michelin Guide of
world-renowned restaurants into its second-most profitable market in the world.
The chain has more than 1,200 restaurants in France — all locally owned
franchises — and a growth rate of 30 restaurants per year in the past five years
alone.
...and that's a real shame.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:56 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
It's widely considered around the world to be the height of fine dining in the Western world, the best over all. You'd think French restaurants would be everywhere, even fast-food chain restaurants with simplified recipes, but no ..... they seem to be mainly in large cities. Meanwhile Mexican and Chinese-American restaurants are in the smallest towns here on the West Coast, and Italian-American eateries on the East Coast.

I suppose it must be common in eastern Canada.
Louisiana as well, but the recipes tend to reflect the local abundance of things like gar and alligator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink