Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 04:21 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times

Advertisements

GRADE A vs. UTILITY

Turkeys are graded according to quality of appearance. Grade A turkeys are well shaped, meaty with an even fat covering.
Utility turkeys are birds with minor skin tears or one or more parts missing which in no way affects the quality.
There is no quality or taste difference between Grade A or Utility grade turkeys.

Fresh vs. Frozen, Grade A vs. Utility

If I'm just cooking a small turkey for me and mine, just for the hell of it, I'll buy a utility bird.
I've seen them for as low as 59 cents a pound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 05:01 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,812,030 times
I have never heard of this. I don't think I would buy one for a holiday meal, but maybe I would at other times.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:50 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,601,408 times
It all looks fine as hash & soup!

Most likely, the missing parts came off during the path thru the processing plant -- not centered on the track and got an extra chunk whacked off, a leg caught on the edge of a piece of machinery and pulled off, etc.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:56 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
...Most likely, the missing parts came off during the path thru the processing plant -- not centered on the track and got an extra chunk whacked off, a leg caught on the edge of a piece of machinery and pulled off, etc.
That sounds better than "born minus a leg or a wing" .

Old 10-08-2014, 05:59 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Act 1, Scene 4:

Mom comes into the dining room with the turkey on a silver platter, with roasted potatoes all around it.
Everyone oohs and aahs.

Timmy: Mommy, mommy, can I have a drumstick?
Mom: Of course you can, dear, as soon as your father finishes the carving.
Suzie: Mommy, mommy, can I have the other drumstick?

Aaaaaand.... SCENE!

Old 10-08-2014, 06:22 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
It's not all that unusual for poultry to get damaged in processing. I've had birds break their wings just by thrashing so hard during the death throes. Sometimes they end up with large bruises. Occassionally, skin will tear while plucking. All of this happens after the bird is already dead, so it makes no diference to the turkey.

There is nothing wrong with the meat. It's just had unattractive parts trimmed off.

If you need a beautiful centerpiece for your meal, perhaps pay more and get a better looking bird, but the utility bird is absolutely fine to serve for other meals.

The usual thing to do with birds that have damaged a wing or leg, is to part them out and get more per pound when they are sold as a breast roast or in a package of thighs. Bruised and broken meat gets ground into ground turkey or turkey sausage,

I've never seen "utility" turkeys for sale, but if the price is right, and especially if what it is missing is one of the pieces where bone exceeds the amount of meat, it sounds like they could be a good bargain.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:57 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
A store in Mississippi used to sell "miscuts" of chicken breasts, at a significantly lower price than perfectly formed chicken breasts. I always thought they were screw-ups in butchering and the taste was always fine. Probably the same with the turkeys.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:04 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
I didn't know such a thing existed...Utility turkeys.

One thought I had was they sell the turkey drum sticks and wings by themselves. Esoecially smoked. Maybe the "rest" of the turkey is what makes it into a utility grade.

I got nuthin for the skin...unless it was ripped when the feathers were plucked?

Old 10-09-2014, 10:26 AM

671 posts, read 890,368 times
Bad enough they lost limbs I'm sure that added to PTSD,before they had their heads lobbed of in the name of Thanksgiving by those butchers......

Sorry,watchin way to much news lately...I was overcome by the rapture when I wrote this..

Old 10-09-2014, 12:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Canadian Thanksgiving happening this weekend. Was checking out the turkeys at the local supermarket, they had a freezer with about 30 turkeys, i couldnt find one that wasnt missing either a leg a wing or had no skin on it. a friend said they would be called utility grade turkeys.However the friend couldnt explain why the turkeys were missing parts, How do so many turkeys lose so many body parts? One or two turkeys i can understand might be born minus a leg or wing but a whole freezer full? I'm thinking the answer isnt going to make me want to partake of utility grade turkeys..
My guess, they are like selling slightly damaged anything or what we sometimes call seconds. If I were serving Thanksgiving dinner, no I don't think I would want to buy a bird missing a wing or leg, whatever. But just for personal use, if they were cheap enough it certainly wouldn't bother me a bit. It is like buying fruit that isn't perfect. If I am serving guests a fruit salad with whole pieces of fruit, I want the fruit to be perfect and pretty, if I am canning it, give me the least expensive you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink