U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 04:21 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,277,387 times

Advertisements

Now that I'm back in New England, I'm enjoying some delicious apple cider once again straight from a local farm.

What is better for breakfast (or a late night snack) on a cold winter day that hot apple cider and cider donuts?

Cider donuts were traditionally made in the fall as fall was slaughter time, and they were originally cooked in animal lard. Now they are cooked in vegetable oil. These are not Krispy Kreme donuts, they are good old cake donuts with a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar.

Here's an article on cider donuts:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2004Oct5.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 07:17 PM

Okay, so nobody has tried cider donuts?

Nobody knows what cider donuts are? Sheesh!

Old 12-30-2007, 07:26 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,167,312 times
I've had cake doughnuts, in fact, I make them on occasion, but I can't say that I've had cider doughnuts. Do they just simply have cider in them? Do you have a recipe? They sound good, and I'm intrigued.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:27 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,154,265 times
Default Me, too

tell us more!

Old 12-30-2007, 07:44 PM

"A variation on a traditional cake doughnut or buttermilk doughnut recipe, cider doughnuts are a well-known accompaniment to apple cider, but nobody knows exactly when and why the two were first eaten together. According to the "King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion," recipes for beignets, a kind of high-class fried dough, came here from France and Holland during Colonial times. Autumn was the time for fall butchering, and so it was the only season when there was enough fat available to fry things. As a result, doughnuts became an autumnal treat in the Northeast. In many homes, "cake" doughnuts - made with baking powder or baking soda instead of yeast - would be fried in fat rendered after the slaughter. This coincided with the season for apple cider production, and the two seemed to be a natural pairing. Whether someone spilled cider into the doughnut mix accidentally or purposely wasn't recorded. But there is actually apple cider in the batter for cider donuts. In fact, it's often the main liquid."

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh175/greenbeantoday/410w.jpg (broken link)

Text and image taken from Boston Globe article: http://www.boston.com/ae/food/articl...de_in_october/

Old 12-30-2007, 07:47 PM

Vermont Apple Cider Donuts

1 cup Apple cider
1 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Solid vegetable shortening
2 large Eggs
1/2 cup Buttermilk
3 1/2 cup All-purpose flour
2 tsp. Baking powder
1 tsp.Baking soda
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
Vegetable oil or shortening -for frying

1 cup cinnamon-sugar mixed

Boil apple cider in small saucepan until it is reduced to 1/4 cup, 8 to 10 minutes; cool. Beat sugar with shortening until smooth. Add eggs and mix well, then add buttermilk and reduced cider. Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg in another bowl. Add to liquid ingredients; mix just enough to combine. Transfer dough to lightly floured board and pat to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with 2 1/2- to 3-inch doughnut cutter; reserve doughnut holes and reroll and cut scraps. Add enough oil or shortening to fill a deep pan 3 inches; heat to 375'F. Fry several doughnuts at a time, turning once or twice, until browned and
cooked through, about 4 minutes. Remove to paper towels with slotted spoon. While still warm, shake a few at a time in a paper bag containing cinnamon sugar. Cool on a rack.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:04 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,167,312 times
Thank you, GreenMachine! I am making a copy of this recipe, and I'll try it out on my husband and son. They love the cake doughnuts that I usually make, and I'd like to see what they think of these, (you know, of course, that they are just the excuse.). The basic recipe looks pretty much the same as mine, but I wouldn't have known how much cider to put in, or that it needs to be reduced. They sound good! Thanks again, for sharing!

Old 12-30-2007, 10:01 PM

227 posts, read 648,463 times
I discovered cider donuts on a trip to Vermont last fall and loved them! I'm usually not a fan of cake donuts - but can't pass up a Krispy Kreme shop! But, these were very good. Wish we had them around here!

Old 12-30-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcommander View Post
I discovered cider donuts on a trip to Vermont last fall and loved them! I'm usually not a fan of cake donuts - but can't pass up a Krispy Kreme shop! But, these were very good. Wish we had them around here!
Oy, I can pass up a Krispy Kreme shop. I took one bite of one once, and I have no idea what the fuss was. They taste like a sugary mess to me. Cider donuts are more like the donuts your grandma ate and used for dunking in coffee.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:38 PM

227 posts, read 648,463 times
If the "HOT" sign is on at the Krispy Kreme store, my car automatically pulls into the parking lot!! The box is gone before I get home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or