Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 07:56 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I've cut back big time because I'm a diabetic and the doctor's say restaurant eating is the worst foods to eat.
Good point, John. I, too, am diabetic. In the Los Angeles area there is a buffet chain called Home Town Buffet. I go there two or three times a week because it's so easy to load up on stuff that's good for me and just not take stuff that's bad for me. I do not eat any bread there, or potatoes, or rice. Naturally the desert section is off limits, which requires a lot of discipline. There is always a pretty good choice of vegetables; today I had four or five different ones, including fresh steamed broccoli. I always get some meat there - they prepare chicken and beef several different ways - and the great thing about a buffet is you can serve your own portion sizes. Personally I get moderate portions of meat and large portions of vegetables. In restaurants one so often gets just the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 08:16 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,708,684 times
I have pretty much stopped eating out. I will stop at Subway evey once in awhile. I flat out quit eating fast food after reading about all the bad crap they put in your food. I am saving for a vaction coming up. So I am not spending any money that I don't have too. I quit eating out plus I quit stoping at the store to buy expensive coffee, soda, energy drink. I am saving quite a bit, plus I am starting to lose weight

Old 10-10-2014, 08:48 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
My food is much better than eating out. I don't think restaurants can really make great food these days, unless they charge a ton of money. On top of that the young waitstaff is always texting and not paying attention. I think eating out is going to fade a bit. The young generation doesn't have the same work ethic and people are paying good money to eat out, so it is going to decline. I wish there was a restaurant that could cook as good as myself and have good service.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:59 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Yes but not so much to save money but to have healthier food and smaller portions. i tend to eat everything on my plate and portions in restaurants are way too big. If we eat out it is at lunch and we either share an entree or bring home half of our meal to give to our kids for supper and we don't eat supper. maybe a piece of fruit or toast.

I like to cook and especially to try out new recipes and as long as the rest of the family will clean up my mess I would rather cook than eat out. Besides we inevitably end up under a drafty fan or loud "music" which is obviously for the wait staff and not for customers. I also don't trust what is going on in the kitchen. Too many horror tales out there.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:39 PM

235 posts, read 298,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
My food is much better than eating out. I don't think restaurants can really make great food these days, unless they charge a ton of money. On top of that the young waitstaff is always texting and not paying attention. I think eating out is going to fade a bit. The young generation doesn't have the same work ethic and people are paying good money to eat out, so it is going to decline. I wish there was a restaurant that could cook as good as myself and have good service.
I agree and my fiance and I stopped eating out for the same reasons. Why pay money for subpar food when I can make better at home? I live in Las Vegas and there's very few reasonably priced quality restaurants. Everything is either super high end, fast food, or God awful chains like Applebee's.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:40 PM

37,592 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I know I have and have saved a little over 100 a month not eating out . and if you add that up at the end of 12 months I will have enough for a cruise ...much more worth it than eating out .
I rarely eat out. I don't have the time, and I don't eat enough to justify the high prices...never mind the huge portions they serve these days. We'll hit a Panera's for lunch on the weekend once in a while. Or split a burrito at Chipotle's occasionally. My BF enjoys eating out more than I do...I think it's a "guy thing".

Old 10-11-2014, 02:03 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Haven't given up on eating out completely. Fine dining (not chain restaurants like chili's)we do about 2-3 times a year (used to do it once a month) Chain places we stopped going too because the food is not as good IMO except pizza or Chinese take out we have 2 places we really like.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:22 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Hell no. I eat out seven days a week, but I eat dinner in the early afternoon...around one or two, and the luncheon menu is still on board with lunch prices. And as someone has already pointed out, a good place doesn't cut quality at lunch. As for saving money for a cruise, the restaurant I eat in is on a cliff above the sea and I have a view of the coastline and the mountains inland....so I have the best of a cruise every day.

About three or four times a week I eat a breakfast of homemade soy bread, slathered with olive oil and a cup of good coffee at a place on the corner.

Lunch is my evening meal at home - brown pasta with basil pesto or Neapolitan sauce, or tuna fish with brown rice.

I rarely do "fine dining" as I lived in Manhattan for forty plus years and have fine-dined myself out.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:49 PM

807 posts, read 1,032,468 times
We would go out at least once a week. But I am becoming disgusted with restaurants. The quality just stinks in most places, and it is a huge waste of money. It's too bad, because after working all day, sometimes you just want to relax and be served, but it's just not worth it anymore, too much crap out there.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:53 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
I don't eat out at all, mainly because I do not trust the under-payed un-educated slobs to prepare germ free meals. Saving money and eating better are just the bonus.
The food you prepare at home has germs too. Germs are everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink