Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 11:07 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times

Advertisements

So many casserole recipes call for canned cream soups. I love casseroles, but would much rather use evaporated milk and seasonings to give them a creamy consistency without all the chemicals and salt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 11:25 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,091,862 times
Healthwise, though the canned soups are high sodium if you are using them for a recipe, its not like you are eating a whole can by yourself, the salt will be spread out thru how ever many servings the recipe makes. Just don't eat the whole casserole by yourself in one day!

Personally my only problem with canned soup recipes is the "generic" taste they give dishes, even when you tweak the recipes with other ingredients. However I feel no need to reinvent green bean casserole for instance. It is what it is and that's fine by me.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:34 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
When I married my husband he was always very grateful for everything I cooked, but he jokingly said if I ever tried to feed him tuna casserole, he'd throw it at me. I took this as a challenge, tried a few recipes, and now it is one of his favorite comfort foods.
If you want to try it, let me know and I'll post it.
I love this story, having a few things on my "don't make" list myself.

Yes. Share it with us, please.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:46 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
For me it's taste. It muddles the flavors of the finished product. For an example, chicken pot pie. When I make it with just milk thickened with flour/cornstarch. I can taste the freshness of the vegetables, chicken and herbs etc. If I eat my mom's version which uses cream of chicken, all I taste is that soup. Blech.

Chicken casserole, again when I make it, I can taste all the different things in it and it's a light creamy dish. I eat other's version using the canned soup? All i taste is that soup with noodles.

But hey, if it works for others, go for it. I will stick with my way.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:03 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I keep canned cream soups in the pantry all the time. I love to cook, I usually make what I can from scratch, but I am not beyond using a can of mushroom or chicken soup to add to a pot of soup or to use in casseroles. There is a balance between eating totally healthy and killing ourselves with processed foods. I am not one that thinks very many things will really hurt up if we just eat them once in awhile.
Ditto.
One of my go-to meals is a frozen roast, canned mushroom soup, canned french onion soup ... and throw it all in the crockpot.

Spoiler
And I still remember the first time my friend made the Tater Tot casserole. Oh ghods, YUM. I ate more than my share. Haven't made it for ages though

1 lb. hamburger
diced green pepper (or onion)
1 can mushroom soup
Tater tots
Cook hamburger and onion in skillet until brown. Add can of mushroom soup. Put in baking dish and cover with tater tots. Bake in oven until tater tots are done.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:46 PM

420 posts, read 704,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
LOL, really, you should try it. It's easy and good....1 can soup, 1 can beef broth and 1 cup sour cream.
I was curious and googled Paula Deen's recipe. cream of chicken, 1 cup sour cream, 2 tablespoons butter... Paula Deen at her finest, lol.

Her use of butter always reminded me of those two British women who would always say "just a little bit of butter" and then put like a half a cup in.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:30 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
I was curious and googled Paula Deen's recipe. cream of chicken, 1 cup sour cream, 2 tablespoons butter... Paula Deen at her finest, lol.

Her use of butter always reminded me of those two British women who would always say "just a little bit of butter" and then put like a half a cup in.
Paula Deen is an expert on Russian cooking, dontcha know?

Old 10-13-2014, 02:43 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
The Two Fat Ladies! Loved their show.
Clarissa and Jennifer on a Triumph with the sidecar

Old 10-13-2014, 03:08 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
The canned stuff, particularly you know who, doesn't look like creamed anything any more.
It looks like watery chalk. I'd do this and try something like coffee cream (real) or get this:
goats milk!! The one time I used it it worked great.
Those tinned soups are not substituting for cream, they're substituting for a white sauce. So if you want to go back to the original, it'll be a flour thickened sauce, either milk or stock based.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:33 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Newest findings on low salt recommendations - oops!

"The new study, which tracked more than 100,000 people from 17 countries over an average of more than three years, found that those who consumed fewer than 3,000 milligrams of sodium a day had a 27% higher risk of death or a serious event such as a heart attack or stroke in that period than those whose intake was estimated at 3,000 to 6,000 milligrams. Risk of death or other major events increased with intake above 6,000 milligrams."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink