U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Black-Eyed Peas A Part of Your New Years Day Tradition?
South -- Yes 11 28.21%
South -- No 5 12.82%
Midwest -- Yes 2 5.13%
Midwest -- No 6 15.38%
Northeast -- Yes 1 2.56%
Northeast -- No 7 17.95%
West -- Yes 2 5.13%
West -- No 5 12.82%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 03:00 PM

19,884 posts, read 36,400,379 times

Advertisements

Darn. I can't vote in this one. There's no appropriate selection! (Actually, using that map, NONE of the categories on it are above as near as I can tell.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 03:13 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,471,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Darn. I can't vote in this one. There's no appropriate selection! (Actually, using that map, NONE of the categories on it are above as near as I can tell.)
Errr I saw Texas as included in the "South" on that map?

I'm currently in the Midwest, but I'm a naturalized Texan (went to UT, married a Texan, raised my daughter in Austin.....).

I have a great spicy black-eyed pea casserole recipe.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:16 PM

19,884 posts, read 36,400,379 times
I just voted on the other Black-eyed pea thread that TexasReb has. I'll pass on this one, for reasons that are no doubt obvious.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:23 PM

718 posts, read 2,114,784 times
The whole black-eyed pea dinner is a tradition in our family, along with spinach balls, potato casserole and a few other gross things. This is the meal I never look forward to and usually end up making a dinner out of my aunt's biscuits!

Old 12-28-2008, 03:30 PM

10,167 posts, read 16,647,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I just voted on the other Black-eyed pea thread that TexasReb has. I'll pass on this one, for reasons that are no doubt obvious.
LOL I thought we were going to leave THIS topic alone, THL!

As it is, I thought this Census Bureau map would be as close to "neutral" as any possible to be. And if one doesn't think that -- at the least -- Texas is tied to the southeastern states (which is a twin of the "western South" as making up "The South") by the tradition of black-eyed peas, then I don't know what is.

Anyway, the idea of the thread topic stemmed from something (as part of a research project) intended to be a national type thing. Not a debate between the two of us -- or anyone else -- as to whether or not "Texas is Southern" (which I think it is and you don't). So let's not let it lead to that, ok? There is no reason for it to.

After all, the same type poll question could be asked of where "sauerkraut and German sausage" are the custom on New Years Day. And -- in this particular realm-- to use the same divisions of the country to start from somewhere as the basis only makes sense, fer gosh sakes.

Last edited by TexasReb; 12-28-2008 at 05:06 PM..

Old 12-28-2008, 04:47 PM

5,007 posts, read 7,665,842 times
Well, are black-eyed peas delicious, or so-so?

Can anyone testify to having a very good new year due to the fact of eating black-eyed peas on New Year's Day?

I'm not scoffing at this, I'm really interested as to what people have to say.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:58 PM

16,584 posts, read 32,655,119 times
Black-eyed peas and rice. I do it because my Southern grandmothers did it, and I was lucky enough to enjoy their wonderful cooking until I was in my forties.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:00 PM

13,498 posts, read 29,454,867 times
My Mom cooks them every year, and there's always a coin (dime?) in the bottom of the pot for good luck. I think it's kinda silly but I eat them just to make her happy.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:09 PM

10,167 posts, read 16,647,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
Well, are black-eyed peas delicious, or so-so?

Can anyone testify to having a very good new year due to the fact of eating black-eyed peas on New Year's Day?

I'm not scoffing at this, I'm really interested as to what people have to say.
Welllll, most of us down here (i.e. Texas/South) think they are (delicious, that is).

As to whether or not they actually bring good luck? Hmmmm...all I can say is that those of us eating them on New Years Day are still alive and functioning! Does THAT count?

Old 12-28-2008, 07:12 PM

5,683 posts, read 8,881,631 times
My spouse and I grew up in the Midwest and currently reside in Wisconsin, but we did spend 18 years in Texas. Now, I'm not going to enter the debate as to whether Texas is part of the South, and if so, which portion of the South has rightful claim to the state, but when we returned to the Midwest, we did bring back quite a fondness for black-eyed peas on New Years Day. Spouse has a simply fabulous recipe for "Hoppin' John," a spicy amalgam of black-eyed peas, rice, sausage and other goodies, and that's a big favorite in our house on any day.

Of course, in deference to our melting pot heritage, we also eat smoked herring for good luck at New Years, a tradition we learned from our own parents, though not simultaneously with the black-eyed peas. Herring is usually a New Year's Eve treat, and the Hoppin' John is New Year's Day dinner.

I honestly can't tell you what impact eating black-eyed peas has on the following year's good fortune or lack thereof. We haven't ever done any kind of scientific double-blind testing to see whether or not they're lucky; we just eat them because we like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink