Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 02:51 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I've never shopped at Whole Paycheck and I can well afford to. I think it caters to a certain attitude I don't have and don't want.
How can you know what "attitude" (?) it caters to if you've never shopped there? Clearly you're assuming ... incorrectly, I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 03:32 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
How can you know what "attitude" (?) it caters to if you've never shopped there? Clearly you're assuming ... incorrectly, I believe.
where someone shops is there business, however, this is what I think she was alluding to

there's nothing wrong with saying " I shop at whole foods, its the right place for me"

however too often, we hear this " I cant see why anyone would shop anywhere's else, with all the gmo's the pesticides, the tainted meats, why would people feed their kids that stuff? whole foods is the only responsible and safe place to shop- you are at risk shopping anywhere else

the choice of where to shop turns into an agenda driven propaganda statement

not to mention whole foods is insanely high on prices, not everyone can afford to shop there..

ive heard the attitude in my own family and its annoying because of the propaganda
(I know, this isn't everyone)

Old 10-17-2014, 04:42 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
^^^exactly.

I do not hate WF. I've been in the one in town a few times about 6 years ago to see what all the excitement was about. I don't think i even bought a single thing. I live in a university town with a very "crunchy" population, especially in my neighborhood. Many of my neighbors shops there and my next door neighbors bring home supper from there at least 3 times a week.

As far as being inordinately interested in how WF does business I plead guilty. I have MBA in marketing and I am fascinated by how most companies do business and who they cater to. Advertising and the "perception" products bring to customers is a very interesting field.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:09 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Funny people are complaining, but there are other grocery stores that have doing this very same thing for years, Publix and Rileys.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:13 PM

813 posts, read 1,272,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I'm generally ambivalent about WF, but any consumer labeling regarding GMO/pesticides is a good thing, IMO. I would personally buy non-GMO products if made aware what products those were. Unfortunately the Monsanto/Dow lobbyists are paying off our politicians to make sure that doesn't happen.
I assume everything has GMO unless it has the Non-GMO Project label, or an USDA Organic label. It has been a good rule of thumb for me.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:40 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Funny people are complaining, but there are other grocery stores that have doing this very same thing for years, Publix and Rileys.
Interesting. I've only ever seen produce labeled organic or locally grown. Publix and Rileys rate--other than organic--how something was grown?

I wonder if something which requires a lot of water to produce gets a lower rating?

Old 10-17-2014, 07:52 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
where someone shops is there business, however, this is what I think she was alluding to

there's nothing wrong with saying " I shop at whole foods, its the right place for me"

however too often, we hear this " I cant see why anyone would shop anywhere's else, with all the gmo's the pesticides, the tainted meats, why would people feed their kids that stuff? whole foods is the only responsible and safe place to shop- you are at risk shopping anywhere else

the choice of where to shop turns into an agenda driven propaganda statement

not to mention whole foods is insanely high on prices, not everyone can afford to shop there..

ive heard the attitude in my own family and its annoying because of the propaganda
(I know, this isn't everyone)
Of course where someone shops is their business. I'm not arguing that. But someone who never goes to WF can't know anything about it. Anything they believe about it is an assumption. Even if they've read about it or heard about it, they can't know unless they've experienced it themselves.

I've never heard anyone say "I can't see why anyone would shop anywhere else."

And more accurately, SOME items at Whole Foods are expensive, but certainly not all. As I stated above, I frequently get produce cheaper there than at the nearby chain grocery store. Their 365 line of products is very affordable. And frankly, most of the expensive products are expensive because they are high quality and made by small (small-ish) companies that I am personally happy to support instead of supporting the Kelloggs and the Betty Crockers of the world.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:12 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
If I'm going to spend top dollar for produce I like to support local growers by shopping at the Farmers market. usually things are more expensive but knowing my neighbors are able to make a living and knowing how fresh everything is is a bonus to me. And , besides, going to the Farmer market is a fun thing to do where I live with demonstrations, entertainment, art and so much variety.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks who would never shop where I usually do- Food Lion. Not very modern store, not the biggest store or the widest aisles but when I shop the flyers and buy only on sale I find everything i need. Every now and then DH will stop by Harris Teeter for something special but we try not to shop there regularly.

We are retired with two kids still to raise and educate and next to our mortgage our grocery bill is our biggest expense. I have to decide where my dollars will go in a very mindful way.

Now my son used to shop at Trader Joes and Whole Food when he was in graduate school and I liked to go in both those shops with him to see what they carried. I might shop there if I was single. He used to say it was a social event.

Come to think of it I've never seen anybody in Food Lion with just a few items. Mostly buggies filled to the brink while it is not unusual to see folks with those hand carry baskets with 6-8 items at WF and Trader Joes.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:24 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
None of that has anything to do with the point of the article you linked.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:10 PM

168 posts, read 198,916 times
Whole Foods is great. Their 365 house brand is the cheapest house brand in my city next to ALDI. They have very good sales. I would be surprised if their new labeling adds any additional cost at all. They have such buying power they are able to offer quality food at a reasonable price, all over the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink