U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 05:44 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,058,527 times

Advertisements

I'm suddenly into cooking again, which is why I've been posting a lot in this section.

My question here is, do you enjoy your own cooking? Although I love to cook, I tend not to eat my own food. It's frustrating. I made a big stew the other day and have yet to try any of it. Instead, I'm back to eating cheese and crackers all day.

Does anyone else have this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 06:01 PM

28,227 posts, read 19,208,307 times
I love the cooking and pleasing people part-but I think that after the planning. preparing,etc it's a "burn-out". Tonight we were going out but I said hey I'll just make white clam sauce-knowing I'm not into it but he is-he had 2 plates, I had a touch-more bread than the pasta,etc.

Happens all the time here and I really think it's the mental planning that overrides our enjoyment.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:03 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,058,527 times
I prefer eating food that other people cook. I wish I had a friend to share cooking duties with.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:07 PM

I agree-I would love to eat other's food-although I am an excellent cook-I really think it's the efoort we put in to please and by then we're burned out. My husband sits and raves every night and I just say "yes it's okay". I just love seeing people enjoy my work.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:08 PM

Ooops-meant "effort".

Old 12-30-2007, 06:14 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,149,944 times
I really enjoy cooking, and especially for others. But usually when I experiment I do it for myself and my man and that is usually just as rewarding.

I wish I had the problem of not eating my cooking -- probably why I've gained 10 pounds in the last year.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:18 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,460,221 times
I like to cook, but rarely cook anything for myself that I ate with zest. I was thrilled my kids were here for most of the holiday season, and they ate and ate and ate.

But today I used my new wok, and I ate my own food with almost the same relish.

Too often, though, with stuff like stews or big pots of soup, I make it and toss it in the compost heap.

I am learning to cook smaller portions; store it, and have finger food and cooked food alternately.

Years ago I was in a cooking group: 4 of us. We lived in Amsterdam, and on alternate Friday nights (no partners allowed) we cooked exotic foods. If we didn't have the ingredients, we had to go to the country of origin. Also I think when we started only one of us had a full stove, and we had to cook there more often. I remember a great pate from scratch. I also remember a trip two of us made to London for lemon curd. And if we noticed one of the other three didn't have the right pot/pan/utensil, we often gave it to them for a birthday or special occasion gift. I still have some of those gifts, years later.

It was that cooking group that taught me how to cook without a recipe and just have fun.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:18 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,607,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I'm suddenly into cooking again, which is why I've been posting a lot in this section.

My question here is, do you enjoy your own cooking? Although I love to cook, I tend not to eat my own food. It's frustrating. I made a big stew the other day and have yet to try any of it. Instead, I'm back to eating cheese and crackers all day.

Does anyone else have this problem?
Wow, I thought I was the only one! I love to cook, and cook a lot, but after I am done fooling with it, tasting, serving, etc., I dont eat! I'm with you, wish I had a buddy that cooked, so we could swap dishes.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:29 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,302,832 times
Is this a trick question? Okay Ill bite.

Yes I like my cooking. Im the only one who cooks just like I like it. Seems like a lot of effort to cook something if you dont like it. Unless youre fixing it special for somebody else. I have fixed things for others that I dont like. For example the Huz loves hot spicy food but I hate it.
If anything I like my cooking a little too much. Especially my deserts. Thats why i dont fix them that often.

Im one of those who dont mind leftovers. So if I make a big pot of stew or a big meatloaf etc I usually eat it till Im tired of it and then I freeze it for later. im pretty busy so its nice to have tasty tidbits on hand for whe you dont feel like cooking.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:51 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,607,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Is this a trick question? Okay Ill bite.

Yes I like my cooking. Im the only one who cooks just like I like it. Seems like a lot of effort to cook something if you dont like it. Unless youre fixing it special for somebody else. I have fixed things for others that I dont like. For example the Huz loves hot spicy food but I hate it.
If anything I like my cooking a little too much. Especially my deserts. Thats why i dont fix them that often.

Im one of those who dont mind leftovers. So if I make a big pot of stew or a big meatloaf etc I usually eat it till Im tired of it and then I freeze it for later. im pretty busy so its nice to have tasty tidbits on hand for whe you dont feel like cooking.
Its not like I dont care for my own cooking, I used to cook professionally, and love my own cooking! I think what it is, I just get tired of being the only one that cooks. My husband is a wonderful cook, but I have spoiled him rotten, so he rarely does anymore. I think I just would like to be spoiled once in a while myself, does that make sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink