U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-31-2007, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,440 posts, read 30,612,660 times
Reputation: 15560

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
Agree with everyone else, depending on service. I always tip more for buffets, too, because there's still a ton of work setting everything up.

Another strange phenomenon I noticed was when the manager would OK comping a piece of cake for a table celebrating somebody's birthday, and we'd candle it and sometimes even sing to the person (discreetly suggesting to their host first and asking what the person's favorite flavor was). For some reason, these tables never tipped standard -- always less. We figured that they figured that we were just milking for better tips. Manager stopped comping the cake pieces altogether, and tips were normal/better. Go figure???
yeah, I have seen that too, never could figure that one out..... another thing I saw a lot of was folks not tipping on cocktails or wine. One of my servers sold 2 bottles of Opus One cabernet @ $150 a pop, table did not tip on the wine, what is that about?
I am really glad I am out of the biz, people do the strangest things....

 
Old 01-04-2008, 09:05 AM
 
4,268 posts, read 13,712,106 times
Reputation: 3338
We tip between 15 to 25% but with a gift card and I had really good service, I'd probably up it to around 30% but the service better have been gooooood. Otherwise, I'd still stay in the 15 to 25% range.
 
Old 01-04-2008, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
10,119 posts, read 16,716,797 times
Reputation: 24600
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Then I thought about it that it not costing me a dime should I reward the server a little more since technically the meal is free?

I am assuming with chain restaurants head quarters reimburse local restauants for my patronage so they already have their money they was going to make but should the server be given a break since I didnt pay for anything?
The meal is not technically free. Somebody paid $50 for $50 worth of food. It makes zero difference to the waiter and his workload. I tip my usual 20% when I use a gift card.
 
Old 01-04-2008, 09:41 AM
 
395 posts, read 1,792,329 times
Reputation: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Somebody paid $50 for $50 worth of food. It makes zero difference to the waiter and his workload. I tip my usual 20% when I use a gift card.
ITA with this.
 
Old 01-05-2008, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Kingman AZ
15,371 posts, read 33,759,682 times
Reputation: 8976
Just a note re: Cheap Seniors ....not ALL of us steal the sweet n low......

Wife was a food server for 35 yrs....I drove a cab back in the olde days for 7 yrs....we live in Las Vegas so we are intune with the tipping dilema....I can only say this....if we get good service we tip EXTREMLY well....average service average tip....poor service....I have NO problem not tipping. In most place that we frequent, the servers almost FIGHT to have us lol......the ones that got stiffed....usually don't last anyway.

It makes NO difference if was gift card or cash...altho for a COMP we usually increase the tip by 50%....just a holdover from the old days of LV.
 
Old 01-05-2008, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Missouri
6,044 posts, read 21,128,367 times
Reputation: 5033
I tip based on the total cost before coupons and gift cards. I don't tip less when I use a coupon, and I don't tip more if I use a gift card.
 
Old 01-05-2008, 10:57 AM
 
4,268 posts, read 13,712,106 times
Reputation: 3338
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I tip based on the total cost before coupons and gift cards. I don't tip less when I use a coupon, and I don't tip more if I use a gift card.
That's a good rule of thumb!
 
Old 01-05-2008, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,440 posts, read 30,612,660 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Just a note re: Cheap Seniors ....not ALL of us steal the sweet n low......

Wife was a food server for 35 yrs....I drove a cab back in the olde days for 7 yrs....we live in Las Vegas so we are intune with the tipping dilema....I can only say this....if we get good service we tip EXTREMLY well....average service average tip....poor service....I have NO problem not tipping. In most place that we frequent, the servers almost FIGHT to have us lol......the ones that got stiffed....usually don't last anyway.

It makes NO difference if was gift card or cash...altho for a COMP we usually increase the tip by 50%....just a holdover from the old days of LV.
Youre a class act all the way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top