U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2014, 05:12 PM

34,637 posts, read 42,792,739 times

Advertisements

I have not complained, because my expectations are already so low. it is usually a case of no napkins or no straw. I can understand why the OP had a reason to expect consistency. Consistency and cheapness are the only expectations the fast food places have going for them.

I have posted the following before, but I did email corporate Arby's once because of an incident, and they were prompt in answering me back.
DH and I decided to split a pecan chicken salad sandwich. We went through Arby's drive thru. When we opened the sandwich, we found that it had not been cut in half. DH went inside and asked the kid behind the counter to cut it in half, and his response was, "We aren't allowed to cut it in half because of peanut allergies, and we'd need to wash the knife." We just had to laugh. How does one even respond to that?
Arby's response was only that the server was probably new, blah blah, and that they did not want to contaminate the knife for customers with nut allergies. I responded with, "how about they just put in a plastic knife?", but I don't think they responded back.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 05:19 PM

847 posts, read 893,173 times
I sent an email to Chili's once about horrible customer service. We had stopped on the way home one night and unfortunately, they were very busy. We decided to wait anyway and gave the hostess our name. We waited and we waited and we waited. While we were waiting it seemed like every person that came in the door was one of the hostesses personal friends. She seated 3 parties who came in after us and I went up and asked "what's up"? She apologized and promised us a table in a few minutes. 10 minutes later 2 other parties (who also seemed to know the hostess) had been seated and not us. Note - this place did not take reservations. By that time, I wasn't feeling like a very nice person and I let the manager know. He offered to comp us 1 meal but I refused. By then I was so mad I didn't want to eat anyway.

I emailed them the whole story and they sent me a $50 coupon.

I've found that the older I get, the less crap I'm willing to put with. Where I would not have said anything years ago when I got bad customer service, now I don't hesitate. I figure I'm saving somebody else from getting the same poor service by bringing it to light.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:54 PM

4,844 posts, read 2,046,325 times
Sometimes the Executive cultures have a block and divert system in place, to avoid their knowing about the REAL ISSUES.
They rely on PLAUSIBLE DENIABILITY

Quote:
Plausible deniability refers to circumstances where a denial of responsibility or knowledge of wrongdoing can not be proved as true or untrue due to a lack of evidence proving the allegation. This term is often used in reference to situations where high ranking officials deny responsibility for or knowledge of wrongdoing by lower ranking officials. In those situations officials can "plausibly deny" an allegation even though it may be true.

Americans use to thrive on "quality products and quality service", Well we know the concern for service left many industries long ago. We became a nation infected with the listen to the prompts and "push another button on the phone", get a person in a foreign land, who reads a script and result to re-repeat the script if your are not satisfied with the first reading. This became the culture of the "Offshore Phone Call Centers".

The more we became a nation that relied on 'degree labels" and status titles, and over paid executives, it became very bad, then when companies went "public", it became about "breaking a stock trading record every day", borrow against 'FAKE INFLATED VALUE", over leverage the company, lay off workers and cut back of product size, quality and provide an 800 number for diverted comments about servicing. Which goes back to the 'call center madness cycle'.

They have factored in their programming to expect a high % to become agitated to a level of frustration to simply give up. This is supported in the "Plausible deniability programming function".
It no longer matters to the corporate executive nor to many executives within the chain of its administration,
Often, this works well, because they rely on "disposable products" and "consumables" followed by limited competition, therefore the drive to repurchase is amplified, due to the basic necessity of limited available options to choose another product. The parent company buys up its rivals and/or target the demise of any who does not submit to being overtaken.
Many products are made by the same producer, and from standardized production centers, who brand and label it to suit the distributors linked companies, utilizing varying names and varying price point ranges, generally structured for one to trade up.

Great example:
is the standard "hamburger', thin meat, ketchup, a slice of pickle, a dab of mustard. Now if you really want a hamburger, that has 'lettuce, tomato, onion and other additions, the price point then goes up by 300+% .

I'm amazed to this moment how Taco Bell can get away with calling what they sell a Burrito. yet, they are a number one product selling, with one of the highest franchise fee's among the various fast food establishments.

Soda, if you have them fill a cup, it is 3/4 ice, with watered down, over carbonated colored water with just enough syrup to give it a hint of sweetness, if it melts down before you can drink it, it become sweet water, which in many cases is quickly disposed of, yet the cost is astronomical for a Medium size.

This is university trained and groomed MBA styled "CORPORATE MODELING", which is designed "not" to be open to public feedback. They add in promotional gimmicks to play on the vanity of people hoping for luck to shine on them, while distracting them from the basic awareness of being ripped off.

If many note, the insidious list of non-essential ingredients, and when these words are researched, they related to some level of toxicity, with the script of saying, xxx part per billion before it is claimed harmful, as if this is suppose to be a "one size fit all of toxic ingestion", to say it is safe to ingest.

When we come to know the list of ingredients, we also become less inclined to want these products if we are health conscience. So, the slick advertising, with the brilliant colors and the dynamic drama of character acting, followed by the usage of Entertainment Figures, as a form of validation become a standard practice, which these companies pay $millions to insure the hype is well promoted.

It's then not much left to complain about, once one is aware of what they will get. It is an accepted reality, that it won't look like any picture placed in the advertisement. Which they used 50 people and multiple hours to capture the image. the captioned image used to generate advertising stills is often not edible.

Buyer Beware !!!! should be the general slogan "posted" at the window or counter, where orders are placed.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 10-23-2014 at 06:08 PM..

Old 10-23-2014, 05:58 PM

29,970 posts, read 34,577,096 times
No but I've returned it many times because no way in heck does it even look like the picture on the wall.

That's always my main complaint. Show us a picture of a soggy bun, no meat and a shriveled up pickle.

There should be a class action lawsuit over false advertising.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:01 PM

5,664 posts, read 2,513,093 times
Just did today.
At Wendys.
Drive thru.

Only ordered a hamburger. Got home and wrong sandwich.
One of my pet peeves!!

I called and spoke to the manager

Old 10-23-2014, 10:04 PM

330 posts, read 617,953 times
My wife wanted a Frosty at Wendy's. We went inside and ordered. I estimated that it took 20 minutes to have our order taken, as they gave all the drive-through traffic priority. I contacted Wendy's district office about this incident. They pulled the security tape and saw us standing there for 23 minutes before our order was taken. The sent us certificates for two free large combo meals and two free large Frosty's.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:04 AM

8,514 posts, read 11,408,919 times
I've called the local Taco Bell before for a missing taco. They credited me for next time as long as I mentioned the mgr's name. I always check while in the drive-thru now. Sorry to the cars behind me who have to wait an extra 20 seconds.

I've also called the local McD's before for missing an egg in a Sausage Egg McMuffin. They offered the same thing - replacement on next visit.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:07 AM

8,514 posts, read 11,408,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I got a small fry at McDonald's and it was small, alright. Seemed to me like they only filled the bag up halfway. But I'm way too wimpy to say anything.
You know those mall food court chinese takeouts where they have all the food displayed and ready to put in a bowl/container? I've seen customers stare at the guy and ask to stuff more in the container. Talk about bold.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:37 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,145,474 times
I always do my complaining face to face. I like them to see the fury in my eyes and feel the burn in their ears.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:54 AM

4,827 posts, read 6,940,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
I just got a breakfast sandwich from Burger King and the sausage was burned on the outside and a bit raw on the inside!! It was disgusting! Considering they took a while to get my order I figured it'd be worth it but it wasnt
I noticed most fast food places have those 1-800 numbers to call if you have a complaint. Has anyone ever called? What do they actually do about it?

I have had issues before but they were rude or took too long but Ive never actually called. Just let it go... But this sandwich was nauseating...
The food isn't "cooked" at your local fast food joint --- it's only reheated. All the food comes precooked, even at places like Fridays, Applebees, etc. It's to keep the taste/look of the food consistent throughout all their restaurants/locations. If the sausage was burned on the outside and raw on the inside, it happened at the factory where they make the food.

I haven't eaten at any fast food places in years but when I used to take my daughter to them, if there was a problem, I would call. One time, I called to complain to McDs and they sent me a bunch of coupons for free Extra Value Meals (I gave them to some homeless people since I really had no plans on eating there again).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink