U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 07:09 AM

5,120 posts, read 9,416,029 times

Advertisements

Have you ever wondered--as I have--why the USA doesn't label GMO foods as do other countries? Shouldn't there be transparency so we know what's going into our mouths?

Well, watch this video and you'll find out why our foods aren't labeled. I plan to contact my politcal represenatives and let them know I want my foods labeled. I think we have a right to know what we're eating--and whether it's been engineered.

I know I'll be buying more organic and foods without corn and soy in them: Scary stuff.

New, More Toxic Breed of Genetically Engineered Crops Gain Approval

Old 10-28-2014, 12:01 PM

69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Have you ever wondered--as I have--why the USA doesn't label GMO foods as do other countries? Shouldn't there be transparency so we know what's going into our mouths?

Well, watch this video and you'll find out why our foods aren't labeled. I plan to contact my politcal represenatives and let them know I want my foods labeled. I think we have a right to know what we're eating--and whether it's been engineered.

I know I'll be buying more organic and foods without corn and soy in them: Scary stuff.

oh geeze, just but all organic if you are so worried. These videos are usually produced by organizations that have a point to prove, but may not be legit. As for soy sauce, I buy all of mine from the Asian market, it isn't labeled cause it doesn't even come from the USA. Do you have any idea how well our foods, produced here are governed compared to many other countries. If you want to contact your representative good for you, but why do I get the idea, right now, he/she has more important things on his/her mind?

I noticed the article is pretty much based on the words of one particular doctor. This is like the programs we hear on the radio, pushing certain vitamins or whatever. and btw, I am careful about most of what I put on the table. We use mostly fresh, I am leery most things from China, particular fish. I just am not about to get worked up over something someone claims to be factual when it is more opinions.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:21 PM

5,120 posts, read 9,416,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
oh geeze, just but all organic if you are so worried. These videos are usually produced by organizations that have a point to prove, but may not be legit. As for soy sauce, I buy all of mine from the Asian market, it isn't labeled cause it doesn't even come from the USA. Do you have any idea how well our foods, produced here are governed compared to many other countries. If you want to contact your representative good for you, but why do I get the idea, right now, he/she has more important things on his/her mind?

I noticed the article is pretty much based on the words of one particular doctor. This is like the programs we hear on the radio, pushing certain vitamins or whatever. and btw, I am careful about most of what I put on the table. We use mostly fresh, I am leery most things from China, particular fish. I just am not about to get worked up over something someone claims to be factual when it is more opinions.
Maybe it's of no concern to you, but if GMO's are fine and dandy to eat, then why are the major food manufacturers fighting so hard and keeping labeling from telling us if a food contains GMO's? Other countries label their foods to let buyers know about GMO content. I want the same transparency for us. I respect that it doesn't matter to you, but hope you'll respect others right to know what they're eating.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:01 PM

31,166 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Quote:
I know I'll be buying more organic and foods without corn and soy in them: Scar
Isn't it good that we have choices?

Old 10-28-2014, 09:12 PM

33,585 posts, read 51,786,623 times
^^^ Right, but its hard to make choices if you are not informed.
There is so much wrong with food in our country that I would not even know where to start...
I think the first step should be transparency, education and information. THEN we can say that we have choices.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:15 PM

3,396 posts, read 5,974,206 times
I have absolutely no problems with eating GMO foods. I think there's a slight chance that they may have some negative environmental impacts (i.e. you modify a crop to not be susceptible to insects and that also kills off good insects like bees), but that just requires monitoring and study, certainly not any sort of ban. I think the science showing they're safe to eat is rock solid at this point.

That said, I have no problems with any labeling requirements. People should be able to know what's in their food, and it's really simple thing to do with new technologies.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:41 AM

693 posts, read 747,002 times
I think every food item should be labeled with every bit of information possible. Including origin of seeds, type and source of any fertilizers, insecticides or herbicides used and total history of any water that was used to grow this food. If animal waste is used as fertilizer, I want to know the source of every food or drink those animals ever ingested and where these animals were raised. Even though I don't grow it myself, I deserve to know where my food comes from. So when I buy an ear of corn, I want a printed tag (all natural inks and non bleached paper), attached to each ear with organically grown hemp string.
I have a right to know!

Old 10-29-2014, 08:07 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,384,504 times
^ that would never happen (i do know your being facetious)

even now the values they list on the nutrition facts is not even accurate

people buy stuff that says "organic" and think they are really doing great but lets be real, you have no idea where stuff comes from you just assume that oh well if the fda blah blah then it must be safe

we all know that the only people we can trust is ourselves, so unless you grow it or raise it yourself you have no idea

Old 10-29-2014, 10:41 AM

69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
^ that would never happen (i do know your being facetious)

even now the values they list on the nutrition facts is not even accurate

people buy stuff that says "organic" and think they are really doing great but lets be real, you have no idea where stuff comes from you just assume that oh well if the fda blah blah then it must be safe

we all know that the only people we can trust is ourselves, so unless you grow it or raise it yourself you have no idea
I think you are about right on: unless we actually grow our foods we have no true idea about exactly what we are eating. If people want to try and eat nothing but organic, fine, the same with vegetarians, vegans. The problem is: we do not know and most of us are not going to spend our days worrying about what we may have eaten the day before. Common sense is the best idea, not panic. Nor can we trust all the articles we read. If we did we would all be totally confused. This scientist says this, another doctor says this or the dietitian says something else. The latest research says such and such, but a year later it is proven to be proven to be wrong or only partially true. I think it is great we have so many choices in life.

I am basing my views partially on have a degree in Foods and Nutrition though it was many years ago.

I went through a phase of believing everything Adele Davis had to say: well guess what? She died of cancer in her 60s I think. She was one of the so called experts on healthy eating. I also went through a time when the word organic was brand new and I was bound and determined my family would eat only organic, plus would take a zillion vitamins a day or it seemed like that many.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:30 PM

17,161 posts, read 22,175,230 times
Quote:

I read your link

you can read mine

Labels for GMO Foods Are a Bad Idea - Scientific American

last weekend, some family members were over visiting, and a niece had a very similar article as you presented,
the young teenagers were saying ,,,all these new studies are worrisome,, and she wants to start growing more of her own food, then she said " I read all kinds of stuff about meat in stores, im going to stop eating most of it - then she floored me- she asked if I could teach them to hunt deer, moose and maybe bear
she wants to know her meat is safe- everything she is reading is scaring her- so both sisters want to learn how to hunt to get meat for themselves!!
I asked them if they could shoot bambi, and both said- yes, they think so - I will take them for target practicing and teach them to shoot and how to handle a shotgun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink