Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 03:04 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
That is NOT accurate.

For years, my FIL, a dairy farmer has put out milk for the barn cats. ALL gladly partake of it regardless of age.

My adult beagle does the same, except when he has received the "five knuckle shuffle" from one of the barn cats.

I have seen young heifers go for the udders of other heifers.

If it is available, adult sheep and goats will also partake. I know. The last time that this line was posted, I decided to try it. Yes, they WILL drink milk.
Exactly. Many mammals will happily drink milk if it is available. Of course, without human intervention they are unable to obtain it, but that has nothing to do with their liking for milk.

Goat farmers used to feed whatever milk they couldn't use/sell back to their own goats so it wouldn't be wasted.

My family personally does not drink much milk. I buy a half gallon every week or so. We do eat a lot of plain yogurt, butter, and cheese of various kinds. All full fat. I don't believe that reduced fat and fat-free dairy products are good for you. Whole milk and whole milk products are healthful natural foods.

Recent research shows that consuming full-fat dairy does NOT lead to weight gain, high cholesterol, or any of the other problems that were once attributed to it.

The article is correct that calcium is not properly absorbed without sufficient vitamin D. The solution to that is to get enough vitamin D, not to stop eating dairy products. I take 4000 mg/day on the recommendation of my doctors, and my blood vitamin D levels are a healthy 60 ng/ml.

Of course, many people are lactose intolerant. We are of Northern European extraction, and have no problem with dairy. My grandmother drank milk and ate dairy products every day, and lived to 97. My dad still does, and he is 90.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:07 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
I don't drink milk. Once in a long while I will have a small glass with a cookie, but that is not even a yearly event. I do, however, use milk for cooking occasionally.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:09 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
as the beat goes on......

milk consumption is down 25% since the 70's

less kids in the house, less cereal, less of an afternoon drink, less chocolate milk

and off and on you will hear this, milk isn't good for you,,,but then again,,, what is??

personally, i'll go thru phases, I wont drink any milk for months, but then drink a lot of chocolate milk
love chocolate milk!!

milk takes care of heartburn for me,,,so if im eating anything spicy,,,i like milk

will this study influence me??
not in the least- ive seen sooooo many food scares and sensationalism, its hard to believe any of it- because it will all kill you

there was one fact in that article, milk drinkers will eventually die, as will people who eat anything else ..

Old 10-29-2014, 03:18 PM

420 posts, read 704,395 times
I love me some almond milk!!!

Interesting fact: In the middle ages almond milk was for peasants and serfs while dairy milk was for aristrocrats. Almond milk was cheaper, thus more readily available for the impoverished. Makes you wonder what happened between then and now to make almond milk more expensive...

Old 10-29-2014, 03:40 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
And how, exactly, do you milk an almond?
Soak 1 cup almonds in water overnight or for at least 6 hours. Drain the water from the almonds and discard. Blend 3 cups of water and almonds until well blended and almost smooth. Strain the blended almond mixture using a cheesecloth or other strainer. Add some vanilla, Cinnamon, chocolate, ect... if you want flavoring.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:44 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
I love me some almond milk!!!

Interesting fact: In the middle ages almond milk was for peasants and serfs while dairy milk was for aristrocrats. Almond milk was cheaper, thus more readily available for the impoverished. Makes you wonder what happened between then and now to make almond milk more expensive...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
as the beat goes on......

milk consumption is down 25% since the 70's

less kids in the house, less cereal, less of an afternoon drink, less chocolate milk

One wonders what children are drinking in lieu of milk? Does that beverage have ANY nutrition??

Old 10-29-2014, 03:50 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
One wonders what children are drinking in lieu of milk? Does that beverage have ANY nutrition??
mountain dew........ it does a body good!

Old 10-29-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
By the way, my husband wanted to try that almond milk. At $5.49 for half a gallon, you'd think it would taste decent. It really doesn't taste like almonds and it doesn't make coffee taste good. I tried drinking it straight up. Was not impressed.
I buy it for $2.49.

Quote:
That is NOT accurate.

For years, my FIL, a dairy farmer has put out milk for the barn cats. ALL gladly partake of it regardless of age.
Most cats are lactose intolerant. Those poor cats are probably having upset stomachs and diarrhea from the milk. They don't need milk, and so its much better for their health that they have water.

And just because they'll drink the milk, it doesn't mean anything. My dog eats all sorts of things he shouldn't eat. He ate a band aid the other week, does that mean its good for his diet and something he should be eating? No.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Water? Thats about all I have in my home to drink.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:55 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Eggs and milk - they're good for you, no they're bad for you, oops they're good for you, well they're bad for you, now they're good for you .

Common sense is always good for you.
I know. I had a conversation with someone the other day who told me she doesn't eat eggs because of her high cholesterol. Isn't that about 20 years out of date? LOL. I eat eggs multiple times a week. My cholesterol has never been high.

Anyway, yes,; I drink milk or use it in cereals, but not in huge quantities. And because I like it, not for the calcium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink