Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 06:07 AM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I just bought an Aeropress and just used it for the first time - amazing! Wanted better coffee than my cheapo drip, and, I wanted my counterspace back (I have a REALLY small kitchen). I really can't believe how good the coffee is. Plus I can travel easily with this.

I considered a Keurig but I don't like that you can't recycle the K-cups, and some scientist said they end up with biofilm in the water chamber (ugh).
I've heard that the newer Keurigs, you can recycle the K-cups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 11:45 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,335 times
I'm a big fan of the aero press as well. You definitely extract different flavors due to higher pressures and get the high pressure extract without an expensive machine. I'm starting to like it even better than a French press.

For espresso, nothing beats a standard Italian stove top espresso maker. The nespresso or other k cup like machines are terrible. K cup machines cost exorbitantly more for inferior coffee.

Last edited by fibonacci; 12-26-2014 at 12:09 PM..

Old 12-26-2014, 12:18 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
I can't have a coffee-maker! I buy them and put them in storage!
If I have them I drink coffee all day! Not good for me ....so

I use my simple French presses...I have 3 now, diff sizes...ground my beans
fresh...and yum. Better than having a whole pot sitting there.

I pour the grounds, stirred with water since they are packed down so hard,
in my garden...is it the potassium? I dunno, but my flowers are bigger that way.

PS I just saw on PBS we are drinking our coffee too dark...we should try
a medium roast to get better flavors...ok...

Old 12-26-2014, 12:21 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I ended up buying a very fine conical mesh filter, some paper filters to go into it, and I just boil water in my tea kettle and pour it over the grounds in the filters.

Simple. Nothing really to clean. I just run water over the mesh after use. It's a little slow to use, because I have to pour slowly, but I am in no real hurry.
I must admit my friend does this exactly and I always have the best cup at her house.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:55 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,069 times
I like my cusinart coffee machine. I like that it keeps the coffee hot. I have a Keurig too but by the time you add cream the coffee is cold. Is mine defective or does it just not get as hot as a Cuisinart brewer.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:22 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I like my cusinart coffee machine. I like that it keeps the coffee hot. I have a Keurig too but by the time you add cream the coffee is cold. Is mine defective or does it just not get as hot as a Cuisinart brewer.
There is nothing magic about K-cups, it's just a pre-measured scoop sealed in a filter pod. The problem is the cheap K-cup machines don't heat the water hot enough and it needs to brew the coffee in secs.

You need to get a better K-cup machine that heats water quicker and hotter. Then it becomes an expensive Mr.Coffee machine.

There's nothing hard about brewing coffee using a regular 2-3 cup brewer and using a paper or gold filter. You save a lot of money and don't have to stock all those K-cups.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:25 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I've heard that the newer Keurigs, you can recycle the K-cups.
Recycling is not the solution to our landfill problem, creating less landfill is.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:38 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times
I just have no interest in a Keurig (I also think it's not true that you can recycle them now). It's no more work for me to make a little more coffee with my Mr. Coffee than it is to make one cup of coffee with a Keurig...in fact it's less work.

I've abandoned my Aeropress after only one week of use. I'm just too tired in the morning to deal with precise measurements and timing, ha. My results were really inconsistent - that first cup I made was fabulous, but some of the others weren't - it also seems to use double the coffee ($$$) and the plunging was hurting my arthritic wrist. I'll still use it for travel because it's genius for that, but drip coffee it is.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:40 AM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Recycling is not the solution to our landfill problem, creating less landfill is.
And, I was replying to the person who didn't think they could "recycle" the K cups - the newer ones, anyways.
If we do recycle, it is creating less landfill, because the recycle part is being used elsewhere and not necessarily in the landfill.

IF you want to talk about less landfill, perhaps you should get on about people's constant use of such things like Always using Pampers, when they could be using diapers when at home, etc. Yes, we can all learn to curb back throwing stuff away but when things don't work - the only answer, some people and the manufacturers say "throw it out" because they no longer have the work force, desire or schematics, to fix the item.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:10 AM

520 posts, read 3,920,380 times
Default Help me choose a coffee maker??

My coffee maker finally went kaput and now I'm in the hunt for a new coffee maker.
I didn't have anything fancy, had a Mr. Coffee and I was good.

I'm looking but many have mixed reviews.
There is no brand in particular I'm looking at, just give a good maker and I'm set.
At least 12 cups and I think I want a self cleaning one... that's what I've had so that's
what I'm used to.

A quick search I've found the following:

Cuisinart 3200

Mr. Coffee BVMC

BUNN

I think I like the BUNN I'm reading that you need BUNN filters as the store filters aren't tall enough?

Anyway, for you that know more, what's your coffee maker?
Is there another one I should look into?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink