Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2014, 06:28 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,951,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post

My dad used to put leftover cornbread in a glass and pour in milk and eat it like cereal for breakfast. I think that's kind of a southern thing.
My parents did that--only they used buttermilk. But any time, not just at breakfast. It makes a good snack or tasty lunch, too. I sometimes have it when I have extra cornbread on hand.

And I am often mocked for my love of buttermilk, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 07:00 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
My parents did that--only they used buttermilk. But any time, not just at breakfast. It makes a good snack or tasty lunch, too. I sometimes have it when I have extra cornbread on hand.

Yes, my dad would eat it as a bedtime snack too. My parents did drink buttermilk, but not sure if they put it on their cornbread. I saw them use regular milk, but they might have used buttermilk at times too.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:19 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
My dad used to put leftover cornbread in a glass and pour in milk and eat it like cereal for breakfast. I think that's kind of a southern thing.
Mmmm... That sounds good. I'll have to remember that next time we have cornbread.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Just buttermilk period makes some people cringe and I love it. I also like frog legs and escargot, but I can't think of any really weird thing we est. As a kid we ate soda crackers with sugar and milk. Oh and mom used to put stewed tomatoes and bread in her zucchini squash and cook the hell of it. but that isn't something I eat or even ate them unless I was forced to.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:28 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post

I won't mock you.....I love buttermilk too.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:20 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,176 times
Anchovies - on pizza and ceasar salad

I use to take half of a cantaloupe and put ice cream in the center - this isn't really a yuck - it's so good because the ice cream gets the cantaloupe really cold.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
OK I admit it - I love canned asparagus, straight out of the can. Not heated or anything.

Yes, I know it's crap. I don't care. But in my defense, I also really like fresh asparagus and I cook that pretty regularly!

Old 11-09-2014, 06:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Putting salt on melon just sounds normal to me.

When I was kid sometimes I would put sugar on a slice of bread and eat it. I don't know why! If there was no jelly, I would mix peanut butter and syrup for a sandwich.

Apparently we are twins separated at birth!

I like salt on melons - as well as sprinkled on apple slices.

I used to slather a piece of bread (not even toast, just bread) with butter and then sprinkle sugar on it. Haven't done that since I was a kid but I remember it tasting good!

I regularly mixed syrup with peanut butter when I was a kid. In fact, my dad used to mix up some crazy concoction for us kids as a treat - peanut butter, maple syrup, cinnamon, pecan pieces, mini marshmallows, chocolate chips - whatever was around. We thought it was great!

And speaking of dads, mine STILL eats cornbread crumbled in a glass of milk. He adds one twist to it though that I can't quite stomach - he'll put black eyed peas in it if there are some around.

Hot water cornbread works BEST with the milk thing though - I guess because of the crunchy little edges. Yum!

Old 11-09-2014, 08:46 AM

8,043 posts, read 10,634,161 times
I grew up eating mayonnaise and banana sandwiches because my mother is a Southerner and this is what they often do.

When I was growing up, up north around Washington D.C., banana sandwiches with peanut butter were the norm, and they thought the mayo and banana combo was really bizarre and gross (it's actually good, but you have to like mayonnaise.)

Also, we eat livermush here in North Carolina and until I tried it, just the name of it sounded so icky (calves liver makes me gag), but it's really good, nothing like calves or chicken livers, kind of like scrapple (except some people put grape jelly on their livermush sandwiches, and I think THAT is gross.)

Old 11-09-2014, 12:40 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My favorite Albanian- run dinner in my hometown does a bunch of "skillet" breakfasts, where two eggs, shredded potatoes, and a variety of other ingredients, depending on what skillet you select, is tossed together. My favorite is their Mediterranean skillet, where it's eggs (mine get scrambled),potatoes, chopped gyro/shawarma meat, chopped tomatoes, grilled onions, and tzatziki sauce. Mmmmm.
I'm DYING here! Man, that sounds so good, I can't stand it! I may have to move there!

I used to pour the juice from mustard or turnip greens into a mug and drink it while it was still hot. I also ate Gerber's Barley Cereal with apricots (also Gerber's) well into my 20s. I'd probably still like it!

I would eat liver and onions at least five times a week if I could (I don't enjoy cooking and can't find a place other than an out-of-the-way cafeteria that sometimes serves it).

Also, whipped cream straight out of the bowl from the freezer. I can't buy it because I will and do eat the whole thing at once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink