Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 12:34 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
74 gallons of water to produce 1 lb of avocados!!! Wow no wonder they have stopped growing them and the ones we can find are so expensive.

Kiss Your Guacamole Good-Bye: Drought-Stricken California Farmers Stop Growing Avocados | TakePart
They should grow them in swampy areas in the US, like the Everglades. I think the Aztecs and Mayas did that. Had raised beds in swamps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 05:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
There will always be articles filled with gloom and doom, we have to learn not to believe everything we read.

My heart goes out to people in CA who make their living from any form of agriculture, be it meat, produce or anything else. Let's hope the rains will come soon. As for avocados, we are still getting plenty in our stores at a reasonable price. In fact they have been on sale lately at WalMart. I don't shop at WMart often but for a couple of reasons have been there this past couple of weeks and found them for .68 each. Here, that is cheap. Yes, I believe they are from Mexico.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:39 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
There will always be articles filled with gloom and doom, we have to learn not to believe everything we read.

My heart goes out to people in CA who make their living from any form of agriculture, be it meat, produce or anything else. Let's hope the rains will come soon. As for avocados, we are still getting plenty in our stores at a reasonable price. In fact they have been on sale lately at WalMart. I don't shop at WMart often but for a couple of reasons have been there this past couple of weeks and found them for .68 each. Here, that is cheap. Yes, I believe they are from Mexico.
The last ones I bought were 4/$1 for the smaller ones. In that 90% of the produce from the western states of Mexico go past of us, you can always seen to get a ton of avocados cheap.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:54 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The avocado groves in California were paved over and turned into housing tracts decades ago.
And you're basing this opinion on what?

I drive by an avocado grove in north Irvine almost every day. My friend's family owns a grove in Temecula. There are still lots of avocados here.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The last ones I bought were 4/$1 for the smaller ones. In that 90% of the produce from the western states of Mexico go past of us, you can always seen to get a ton of avocados cheap.
Haven't seen them for a quarter, but Aldi's has the small ones for not much more. I do like the little ones, with only 2 of us, they are perfect, but it seems 1/2 the time when I buy them, by the time they ripen they are spoiled. Being raised in S.CAl I have a pretty good idea how to get them ripe, so I don't think it is anything I am doing.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:42 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
advertised for 99cents down from 1.29 just last week. i love avocados in my winter salads.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:45 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Naw will bring 'em in from China.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:21 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Haven't seen them for a quarter, but Aldi's has the small ones for not much more. I do like the little ones, with only 2 of us, they are perfect, but it seems 1/2 the time when I buy them, by the time they ripen they are spoiled. Being raised in S.CAl I have a pretty good idea how to get them ripe, so I don't think it is anything I am doing.

We started having that problem with the avocados we were buying from one of the grocery stores. When we'd go to use a ripe one it would be almost completely brown inside. Even ones that weren't quite ripe would have a lot of brown spots. We never had this problem before, but over the last few months it seemed like just about every avocado from this one store was bad. And it wasn't that they were bruised, they were just bad avocados. So we bought some from another store, and they ripened perfectly. We've been buying avocados from them for about a month now, and haven't had a single bad one. There was even one last week were we thought it felt a little too ripe, but once cut open it looked perfect. If it had come from the other store, it would have probably been black inside from how soft it felt.

And the store that was selling the spoiled avocados had gone up in price in the last few months. They used to always be about 88 cents- $1 but are now $1.25-$1.50. Now we are getting them for just under $1, and sometimes on sale for 3/$1... normal sized avocados, not those small ones that Aldi's sells.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
We started having that problem with the avocados we were buying from one of the grocery stores. When we'd go to use a ripe one it would be almost completely brown inside. Even ones that weren't quite ripe would have a lot of brown spots. We never had this problem before, but over the last few months it seemed like just about every avocado from this one store was bad. And it wasn't that they were bruised, they were just bad avocados. So we bought some from another store, and they ripened perfectly. We've been buying avocados from them for about a month now, and haven't had a single bad one. There was even one last week were we thought it felt a little too ripe, but once cut open it looked perfect. If it had come from the other store, it would have probably been black inside from how soft it felt.

And the store that was selling the spoiled avocados had gone up in price in the last few months. They used to always be about 88 cents- $1 but are now $1.25-$1.50. Now we are getting them for just under $1, and sometimes on sale for 3/$1... normal sized avocados, not those small ones that Aldi's sells.
Thanks, I was tempted to get a few of the small ones at Aldi's today but opt for just one at our local grocery store. It was .99 and usually they are very good ones. Yes, we have seen them as high at $1.49 a few times. Being from Ca originally I know when the avocado season is in full swing and that is pretty soon; Dec and Jan are usually the good months. I am not sure about Mexico.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:42 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Saw avocados from New Zealand yesterday at the store.

Small to normal size were .33cents and the large ones 1.50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink