Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:25 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,718,339 times

Advertisements

I have been using a gas stove/oven now for about a year with no accidents. (never had one before) Kid was making us dinner last night and turned on the broiler. She was making an oven baked fish in butter and white wine. Only problem is when she went to turn the pan, she jostled it and it spilled a bit down to the bottom of the oven right into the holes where the flames are. Thankfully the broiler was on so the bottom element was not on.

I have no ides how to clean it out or where it went. And today I need to turn it on for dinner but the thought of butter and wine sitting there, will it be on fire?

Sorry to sound like such an idiot but I never had this happen in a gas oven before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 10:42 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,450,327 times
"Element" refers to the heating coil of an electric range. If you spill something in the oven floor it could seep through the holes there. Highly unlikely to land on or get into the burner located under it. Gas stoves have one burner (to broil you'd place item in broiler beneath the burner). If what you spilled was quite flammable and didn't evaporate it could cause a fire I suppose. When you turn your thermostat to "broil" it simply keeps the burner on full time. I wouldn't be too worried about the spill unless it was a really big one.

P.S.If this is a really new stove it could have modern changes I'm unaware of.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
"Element" refers to the heating coil of an electric range. If you spill something in the oven floor it could seep through the holes there. Highly unlikely to land on or get into the burner located under it. Gas stoves have one burner (to broil you'd place item in broiler beneath the burner). If what you spilled was quite flammable and didn't evaporate it could cause a fire I suppose. When you turn your thermostat to "broil" it simply keeps the burner on full time. I wouldn't be too worried about the spill unless it was a really big one.

P.S.If this is a really new stove it could have modern changes I'm unaware of.
I don't know the lingo. The oven floor itself is fine. It actually poured right into the slots/holes where the flames are. I would say about 1/4 cup worth of wine/butter. It happened when the broiler was on so the bottom flames were off. I am wondering if it's there, congealed and then catch on fire if I turn on the oven? I have a vivid imagination. lol

I did try and look on how to clean online but all i see is for electric ovens or just to remove food from the oven floor part. Nothing about going in the slots themselves. Just warnings against it.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:16 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,054,498 times
Try to clean it up as much as possible with the oven off and cool but you won't get everything off. You will probably need to run on the clean setting and it will smoke your house out like snoop dogs possey is hanging out in your kitchen. I hate when this happens because my dogs hate smoke and it drives them up teh walls. DOn't cook until you clean it or it will be a smokey mess and your food will taste terrible and fire alarms will be going off

Old 11-10-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Try to clean it up as much as possible with the oven off and cool but you won't get everything off. You will probably need to run on the clean setting and it will smoke your house out like snoop dogs possey is hanging out in your kitchen. I hate when this happens because my dogs hate smoke and it drives them up teh walls. DOn't cook until you clean it or it will be a smokey mess and your food will taste terrible and fire alarms will be going off

That's the problem I am having, I don't see the actual stuff. It's in the holes/slots below...here's a picture:

But thank you, I did see a self clean option on the oven. I went ahead and started it. It says 4 hours so plenty time before dinner.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I don't know the lingo. The oven floor itself is fine. It actually poured right into the slots/holes where the flames are. I would say about 1/4 cup worth of wine/butter. It happened when the broiler was on so the bottom flames were off. I am wondering if it's there, congealed and then catch on fire if I turn on the oven? I have a vivid imagination. lol

I did try and look on how to clean online but all i see is for electric ovens or just to remove food from the oven floor part. Nothing about going in the slots themselves. Just warnings against it.
Just slide out your broiler and clean the pan and drawer if needed. If you can pull the drawer completely out (sometimes there are little catches you must squeeze to pull it out)check the stove flooring for spillage. Anything on the burner is ok. There's gonna be flames there anyhow. If there's any on the burner it might smoke a bit but should be fine.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Just slide out your broiler and clean the pan and drawer if needed. If you can pull the drawer completely out (sometimes there are little catches you must squeeze to pull it out)check the stove flooring for spillage. Anything on the burner is ok. There's gonna be flames there anyhow. If there's any on the burner it might smoke a bit but should be fine.
The bottom panel doesn't slide or lift up. And there was nothing in the drawer. Maybe another type of gas oven? In any case the self clean worked fine. It was a bit fishy smelling at first hour with the self clean (yuck!) but now when I put it on for dinner there was no scent. Whew.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
The bottom panel doesn't slide or lift up. And there was nothing in the drawer. Maybe another type of gas oven? In any case the self clean worked fine. It was a bit fishy smelling at first hour with the self clean (yuck!) but now when I put it on for dinner there was no scent. Whew.
You could have one of the newer models which I've not kept up with. If you can pull out a drawer below the oven you should be able to see the burner above it inside. If not there must be a floor above it but below the oven burner. You could have an upper burner in the main oven used as a broiler. I may have seen one many years ago. It might be common in some of the newer cookstoves. There have been many improvements and changes.

If you ran it through a self clean cycle and nothing happened you should be fine.

Old 02-09-2019, 05:08 PM

2 posts, read 14,626 times
My plug-in electric range element is stuck in the slot under the burner bowl and and range frame slot. Like the little burner arm is jammed in there and I can’t seem to push the burner back enough towards its plug to lift the burner out. Any suggestions?
I’m able to get the other 3 burners out without difficulties.

Old 02-09-2019, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 14,626 times
Looking forward to getting this issue resolved. 3 clean burner bowls. 1 to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink