Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 10:52 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times

Advertisements

I'm one of the pickiest people I know when it comes to getting the "good" version of something, as Ina would say. I never buy anything but Parmigiano-Reggiano, hate ice cream that has gums and carrageenan, and I really taste the differences in olive oils. But I do not perceive the supposed superiority of San Marzano tomatoes. I buy whatever diced tomatoes are on sale this week, and when they're cooked in a sauce, I really can't tell the difference. I've done blind taste tests before, too, in which I was not the one doing the cooking.

My favorite brand of tomatoes is the #10 can of Cento plum tomatoes from Costco. Between 3 and 4 dollars, last time I was there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 02:28 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I use hunts, red pack or Tuttorosso. I can't see spending the extra $$ for San Marzano. My sauce is great.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:40 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
San Marzano tomatoes have less acid, have less seeds and are usually sweeter. That's not enough for me to spend almost $5 on a can of tomatoes. I buy Tuttorosso regularly. I was a big fan of Red Pack but noticed over the past few years that the tomatoes weren't very ripe so I stopped buying them. My other favorite is Sclafani or Cento. If one knows how to make a good sauce then trust me, even the store brands will make a good sauce.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:18 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,060 times
I avoid canned tomatoes like the plague. I raised San Marzanos a couple years back, but honestly they didnt WOW me. There are SO MANY varieties of tomatoes out there, and they are so easy to grow (if you have the space & free time).

just two of my favorite seed catalogs:

Tomato Plants, Roma Tomato Seedlings, Beefsteak Tomato Plants

Tomato Seeds & Plants - Buy Quality Cherry, Roma, or Beefsteak Tomatoes!

Old 11-18-2014, 03:23 PM

997 posts, read 1,061,200 times
I only buy them when they are on sale. Perhaps it's just because I've been led to believe that they are superior, but I always seem to like them more than others I buy. My kids do, too (but I've probably convinced them that they're better)

Old 11-19-2014, 07:40 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Muir Glen also sells a fire roasted version that is excellent. I use it for sauces and braising, for pretty much everything else I go with fresh.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:58 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
There is one time -- and one time only -- when I know the difference, when San Marzano tomatoes are required. It's when I make this:

tomato sauce with onion and butter | smitten kitchen

There are only 3 ingredients -- the tomatoes, an onion (just cut in half; not chopped), and a whole lot of butter. With such a limited list of ingredients, the quality has to be good, I think.

By the way, this sauce is smooth as silk. Like, uh, buttah. And it's the only time that I use San Marzano.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:20 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
I avoid canned tomatoes like the plague. I raised San Marzanos a couple years back, but honestly they didnt WOW me. There are SO MANY varieties of tomatoes out there, and they are so easy to grow (if you have the space & free time).
In some if not all canned Italian San Marzanos it's not only the variety but having been grown in a certain area, in the volcanic soil of the area around Mt. Vesuvius that's considered important.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:08 PM

150 posts, read 217,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I'm one of the pickiest people I know when it comes to getting the "good" version of something, as Ina would say. I never buy anything but Parmigiano-Reggiano, hate ice cream that has gums and carrageenan, and I really taste the differences in olive oils. But I do not perceive the supposed superiority of San Marzano tomatoes. I buy whatever diced tomatoes are on sale this week, and when they're cooked in a sauce, I really can't tell the difference. I've done blind taste tests before, too, in which I was not the one doing the cooking.

My favorite brand of tomatoes is the #10 can of Cento plum tomatoes from Costco. Between 3 and 4 dollars, last time I was there.
Agreed. I've tried, many times, to ascertain the difference and superiority of San Marzanos, but have not been able to--and I believe I've got a pretty good palate. I buy the Cento when they're on sale, or the Furmanos. I don't like the diced tomatoes though, except perhaps in a soup. I buy either the whole or crushed.

Can't understand why anyone would opt for Hunt's. I find them often unripe and tough.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:25 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I do not perceive the supposed superiority of San Marzano tomatoes.

Isn't the Cento brand San Marzano? That's the kind Lidia is always advertising before her show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink