Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2017, 03:10 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
...The best I've ever had was a fruitcake that I haven't seen in decades. My brother used to sell it every year for a charitable fundraiser. It was called Benson's Old Home Fruitcake and it came in a loaf shape. It was pre-sliced and absolutely delicious. Oh, what I wouldn't give to have that again!
Benson's Old Home Fruitcake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 03:38 PM

723 posts, read 571,110 times
Dirt Grinder,

You just made someone very happy!

Old 12-12-2017, 04:06 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I love fruitcake, and Truman Capote's memoir about "fruitcake weather" -bittersweet - creating fruitcake with an elderly aunt as gifts every Christmas, starting the day with gathering pecans.

https://www.thekitchn.com/fruitcake-weath-15246
Capote's "A Christmas Memory."

My mom reads it every year. I love it, though it makes me bawl. Don't like fruitcake, though.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't know, OP, but from the posts here, it sounds like there's a lot of bad fruitcake circulating.

I don't like the brandied kind, but I love nut breads, and fruitcake is just another type of nut bread. I've never had one that was too dry; it sounds like some people have had slices off a cake that was allowed to dry out.

The popular thing where I live now is German stolen, as a Christmas cake. It's more basic, not overwhelmed by fruit, but with just some raisins, maybe cinnamon inside, or marzipan. It comes as a small rolled bread. I like the Italian panetone, but it's too light and airy. I like these holiday breads to be denser. I grew up on Russian Easter bread, so that's my standard of excellence. It's a denser bread, not fluffy, like panetone.
Here, it's Slavic povitica, a layered bread of thin rolled pastry layers and a filling of ground walnuts, honey, and butter between the spiraling layers. So much better than fruitcake.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
This is one of the cultural differences between the New World and Europe that always bugs the hell out of me. Apologies to New Worlders, but your desserts in general are boring and bland - too much flour and eggs, not enough alcohol, nuts or fruit. The love of booze, fruits and nuts in cake is a very European thing, and it intensifies as you head east from the U.K into the Continent. The zone encompassing Germany, Austria and Hungary features the best cakes in the world bar none.

If a cake doesn't have liquor, fruits and nuts, it's best tossed in the trash! Anyone can bake a "cake" with eggs, flour, butter and sugar, but that won't mean it's edible.
Dunno, I've had some crappy ass dry, brittle gingerbread that was a supposed delicacy from Torun.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:37 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,640 times
Every year I make whiskey dundee cake for Christmas, USC hubby loves it. A couple of years ago my son in Eire asked for the recipe and now he makes it too.

The fruit is soaked in scotch for 2 weeks so it is never dry and always has a good flavour.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:51 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times
Manitou Springs, Colorado Fruit Cake Toss .

https://www.visitcos.com/map-area-co...ruitcake-toss/

------------------------------------------

Old 12-12-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Here, it's Slavic povitica, a layered bread of thin rolled pastry layers and a filling of ground walnuts, honey, and butter between the spiraling layers. So much better than fruitcake.
Oooh, that sounds so yummy! Kind of like Baklava. I want some right now!!!

Baklava Recipe - Allrecipes.com

----------------------------

Old 12-12-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Oooh, that sounds so yummy! Kind of like Baklava. I want some right now!!!

Baklava Recipe - Allrecipes.com

----------------------------
It's more of a chewy dough than the flaky pastry of phyllo, but the filling has similar qualities.
https://www.google.com/search?q=povi...vWbFZzIqBaIPM:

Old 12-12-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's more of a chewy dough than the flaky pastry of phyllo, but the filling has similar qualities.
https://www.google.com/search?q=povi...vWbFZzIqBaIPM:
Oh, I bet that would be delicious toasted with real butter .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink