Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 02:22 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
I've never eaten raw cookie dough in my life, & cannot comprehend the appeal at all. It seems we had a thread regarding the raw cookie dough thing before, & I think the consensus was that this wasn't a widespread custom until the 70s.

It reminds me very much of pica, a condition where people (often pregnant women), eat inappropriate substances such as clay or paste. Maybe it's the texture--raw cookie dough=gummy! sticky wet flour/sugar/raw eggs. No thanks. That's sad to die from such a "food choice".

If I'm gonna die from eating something, it'll be something worth the risk. Rare Kobe or prime steak, fresh briny oysters, etc.
My mom would have a cow if we even tried to eat any product like that raw. She would tell us (in Spanish) that we would bloat up and die! So have never had the urge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 03:43 PM

37,592 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgdf View Post
The raw cookie dough they make is roughly the same as you make at home. The difference is time.

IIRC all eggs have salmonella. In fact there's a lot more salmonella/etc in food than you realize. If you eat a small amount of it you're fine. The problem is when it builds up in food. If you take raw cookie dough and store it it gives the salmonella a chance to grow and populate the cookie dough. You eat a big colony of it, you'll get very very sick. Refrigeration just slows down this growth process, freezing is one of the only things that stops it completely for a while.

So if you were to take your homemade cookie dough and stick it in the fridge for days/weeks like they do with the processed stuff, it'd be dangerous too.
Nope. Salmonella cannot grow at temps below 45 degrees, so unless you have a fridge that is on the blink, cookie dough is quite safe.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:45 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Salmonella, listeria, and e-coli are everywhere. And we have been exposed to these bacteria since birth. Every now and then a particularly virulent strain comes along and some people do get sick. Usually the very old, young, or those already immune compromised.

People read about this and become germ-a-phobic. If they are successful in making their world more germ free, it becomes much more likely they will become seriously ill when they ARE eventually re-exposed to these bugs. They lose the immunity built up from constant exposure.

Yes, I will eat cookie dough and things made with raw eggs. I don't use hand sanitizer very often either. Soap and water is good enough. And it's quite intentional. I don't want to lose the immunity I have built up. I want to live in harmony with my germs.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:47 PM

37,592 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
I've never eaten raw cookie dough in my life, & cannot comprehend the appeal at all. It seems we had a thread regarding the raw cookie dough thing before, & I think the consensus was that this wasn't a widespread custom until the 70s.

It reminds me very much of pica, a condition where people (often pregnant women), eat inappropriate substances such as clay or paste.
LOL! The 70's! Too funny. As if every single kid I knew growing up would not jump to get the beaters when our moms made cakes and cookies. Of course the lucky kid got the bowl!!

And the reason people eat it is because it is so yummy! Pica my foot.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:59 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
The best part of baking is licking the bowl and beaters! Brownies, cake batter, cookie dough...it's all delicious!

I grew up doing it, my mom grew up doing it, and my kids love doing it!

Old 11-20-2014, 07:22 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Salmonella, listeria, and e-coli are everywhere. And we have been exposed to these bacteria since birth. Every now and then a particularly virulent strain comes along and some people do get sick. Usually the very old, young, or those already immune compromised.

People read about this and become germ-a-phobic. If they are successful in making their world more germ free, it becomes much more likely they will become seriously ill when they ARE eventually re-exposed to these bugs. They lose the immunity built up from constant exposure.

Yes, I will eat cookie dough and things made with raw eggs. I don't use hand sanitizer very often either. Soap and water is good enough. And it's quite intentional. I don't want to lose the immunity I have built up. I want to live in harmony with my germs.
great post!

Old 11-20-2014, 07:30 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr22 View Post
Yipes! Just dumb luck my generation survived at all, in the 60's and 70's 'licking the bowl' was a big part of kids 'helping' make cookies at home, not to mention those homemade 'protein shakes' we gulped down - all made with Raw eggs.
Did they not use to add raw eggs to "Orange Julius" drinks back in the day?? Seems I remember that as one of the ingredients....it has been a while tho and memory might be slipping....

Old 11-20-2014, 07:54 PM

47 posts, read 96,881 times
You people just weren't "brunged" up right.

So let's go back to the '30's so you know how old I could be and managed to survive.

All the kids in the family and everyone else I knew made sure they hung around the kitchen during food preparation.

All of the following had to be tasted to make sure it was suitable for eating prior to cooking

cookie dough of an incredible variety.
meatloaf mix.
stuffing/dressing.
clams right out of Long Island Sound, right in the boat.

I think there were more but It was a while ago.................................

Yes, the Orange Julius I had back in the day, had an egg beaten up in it.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:00 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Did they not use to add raw eggs to "Orange Julius" drinks back in the day?? Seems I remember that as one of the ingredients....it has been a while tho and memory might be slipping....
Yes, I think they did.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:05 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
Saw this on a Hallmark card recently: "Good moms let you lick the beaters...great moms turn them off first."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink