Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 01:33 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Some people cook the turkey upside down to retain moisture in the breast, if you arent into eating the skin ,why not..
Flip it and the skin will crisp up.

I use the convection roast setting on my oven and it helps a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 05:50 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Smoked. A traditional wood smoker works well, but a Traeger pellet smoker automates the whole process and lets you enjoy the day.

http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/grills

Old 11-22-2014, 06:09 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,744,527 times
I make the gravy the day before with the turkey neck bones and jar them, then reheat. I usually roast the neck bones and get the drippings from them.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:41 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
I'm thinking about using an electric roaster oven this year to free up oven space for the sides and also to keep the turkey moist. I thought about getting the Wolfgang Puck pressure oven, but I read some bad reviews so decided I'd try the electric roaster oven instead. I wanted DH to fry the turkey instead, but he thinks the dark meat (which he is what he likes) is too tough when it's fried.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:57 PM

983 posts, read 994,528 times
I once made an ancho chile sauce and rubbed it all over the turkey before roasting.
Came out the most beautiful brick red, it was a work of art. Gravy was wonderful too.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:30 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
From a friend:

Here is a turkey recipe that also includes the use of popcorn as a
stuffing -- imagine that. When I found this recipe, I thought it was
perfect for people like me, who just are not sure how to tell when
poultry is thoroughly cooked, but not dried out. Give this a try.

8 - 15 lb. turkey
1 cup melted butter
1 cup stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is Good.)
1 cup uncooked popcorn (ORVILLE REDENBACHER'S LOW FAT) Salt/pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush turkey well with melted butter salt,
and pepper. Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn. Place in baking pan
with the neck end toward the back of the oven.

Listen for the popping sounds. When the turkey blows the oven
door open and the bird flies across the room, it's done.

And, you thought I didn't cook...

Old 11-22-2014, 11:20 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I'm thinking about using an electric roaster oven this year to free up oven space for the sides and also to keep the turkey moist. I thought about getting the Wolfgang Puck pressure oven, but I read some bad reviews so decided I'd try the electric roaster oven instead. I wanted DH to fry the turkey instead, but he thinks the dark meat (which he is what he likes) is too tough when it's fried.
A conventional oven will give you the best results. The big problem with turkey is that it is two different animals. The white meat is much more delicate than the dark meat, and can't be cooked as long. Various techniques are used to compensate for this, from tenting the breast with aluminum foil for most of the cooking time to putting ice packs on the breast to chill it before it goes in the oven.

Turkey should always be checked frequently with a fast reading meat thermometer. DO NOT believe the thermometer markings that say turkey should be cooked to 180 degrees. At that point, it is half way to shoe leather. Keep the breast tented until the leg joint reaches 150 degrees, about half an hour before the roast is done. When the breast meat reaches 165 degrees, take it out of the oven. Cover the bird lightly with foil again and let it rest for half an hour before carving. Cooking will continue, and letting it rest will preserve the juices in the meat when you start carving. While you are waiting, pour off the drippings and make gravy.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:02 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
NO! Too moist and mushy.

I like a nice crisp skin. Already had our turkey this week.
I start it breast side down. Then flip it over. Can be tricky, but comes out great.
Well, I might be eating the Lipton Soup one by myself..that's why I'm making a regular one, too.
This is how I looked at it...I love a whole chicken
in a crockpot with Lipton Mix and the gravy it makes...so why not
try this...I know I will like it at least, bec I like the texture of pull apart pork...but
mushy would not be good.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:06 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
I once made an ancho chile sauce and rubbed it all over the turkey before roasting.
Came out the most beautiful brick red, it was a work of art. Gravy was wonderful too.
Ooo, red!
I have the powder...hmm...I rub a pork roast with that, too. (Tho, I don't
eat pork anymore, people request I bring it.)

Old 11-23-2014, 09:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
I see many pictures of the Thanksgiving meal with the whole turkey sitting in the middle of the table I carve the bird up before bringing it to the table and put it on a serving platter where every one can serve themselves, i cant imagine trying to carve the bird up in the middle of the table and taking the time to cut it up for anywhere from 4-12 people. Where do these people think they are going to put the turkey let alone carve it up at the table.
http://www.thepekinois.com/wp-conten...the-Table1.jpg
I also dont cook the stuffing inside the bird as by the time the stuffing is cooked through the rest of the turkey is overcooked, i cook the stuffing in a bread pan.
Another trick i discovered this year is how easy it is to make your own cranberry sauce.
A bag of cranberries and a jar of marmalade in the blender, blend till its still a bit chunky,that easy.

Last edited by jambo101; 11-23-2014 at 09:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink