Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 04:51 PM

12,540 posts, read 2,137,356 times

Advertisements

I love Ocean Spray jellied cranberry sauce...it's what I grew up with. I especially appreciate the "cutting guides" provided by the ridges inside the can, lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 05:02 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,758,631 times
I bought cranberry salad from the deli. It was great - cranberries, coconut and almonds.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:12 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Our daughter-in-law always makes a dish with fresh cranberries, oranges and pecans. But I have to have the Ocean Spray Jellied Cranberry Sauce out of the can. You open the can and it's stuck you have to punch a hold in the bottom to release and then it just slides right out of there. That just makes my Thanksgiving meal.
I agree! I love this stuff.

I've tried making my own. I prefer the jellied canned.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:45 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,669,308 times
I have used orange pieces to flavor the cranberry sauce, but this year I chopped a peeled grapefruit into the pan. It too more sugar, but came out very tasty. It was good on both ham and turkey. I don't use the canned stuff any more.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:07 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,309,991 times
It's rather a misnomer to call the canned product in question "jellied cranberry sauce" since it bears no resemblance to "sauce." It's a jiggly brick that has to be sliced. First and foremost, it's rather odd that something supposedly made of fruit has no fiber whatsoever. In fact, it's hard to tell what's in it except a whopping amount of sugar, given one serving has 21 grams. Other than carbs, the jelly contains zero protein, zero fat, zero vitamins, zero calcium, and zero iron. It has about the same nutritional make-up as candy corn.

But, hey, if you folks like it, rock on. I know my mother likes the canned product. She likes a lot of Jello-type dishes that were popular in the fifties and I was out of her house before I ever tasted any fresh vegetables. She was pro-canned everything.

It doesn't go very well on turkey or ham sandwiches, though, which the tart cranberry sauce I make with whole berries, orange, and minimal sugar certainly does.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:09 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
I loved jellied cranberry sauce when I was a kid. Now I love my husband's homemade cranberries made from fresh ingredients more.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:12 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
I love the cranberry sauce that comes out in a big cylinder with a satisfying "SCHLOCK!" sound.

I like it with certain chicken and turkey dishes.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:25 PM

32,915 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I realize we beat this subject to death in 2013 ... but yesterday I had my turkey and dressing and my delicious Ocean Spray Jellied Cranberry sauce all to myself. None of my family members eat this heavenly concoction but I love it!! It just ain't Thanksgiving without my jellied cranberry sauce.

How many people had jellied cranberry sauce with their Thanksgiving dinner?
LOL We beat the heck our of this in 2013, 12, 11 10, 9... You get the picture.

Don't tell anyone, but I really like Ocean Spray jellied cranberry sauce. That's what mom served when I was a kid. I lived in NJ for years and they grow quite a few cranberries. I've made my own many times, but I still like the jellied sauce.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:00 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,267,606 times
I can appreciate homemade, whole berry cranberry sauce, and really enjoy it at times. But I still have to have the canned cranberry sauce.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:01 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
It's rather a misnomer to call the canned product in question "jellied cranberry sauce" since it bears no resemblance to "sauce." It's a jiggly brick that has to be sliced. First and foremost, it's rather odd that something supposedly made of fruit has no fiber whatsoever. In fact, it's hard to tell what's in it except a whopping amount of sugar, given one serving has 21 grams. Other than carbs, the jelly contains zero protein, zero fat, zero vitamins, zero calcium, and zero iron. It has about the same nutritional make-up as candy corn.

But, hey, if you folks like it, rock on. I know my mother likes the canned product. She likes a lot of Jello-type dishes that were popular in the fifties and I was out of her house before I ever tasted any fresh vegetables. She was pro-canned everything.

It doesn't go very well on turkey or ham sandwiches, though, which the tart cranberry sauce I make with whole berries, orange, and minimal sugar certainly does.
A cup of whole cranberries has :
Total Fat 0.1 g 0%
Saturated fat 0 g 0%
Polyunsaturated fat 0.1 g
Monounsaturated fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 2 mg 0%
Potassium 85 mg 2%
Total Carbohydrate 12 g 4%
Dietary fiber 4.6 g 18%
Sugar 4 g
Protein 0.4 g 0%

A serving of Jellied has:
Serving Size 1/4 Cup
Amount Per Serving
Calories 110 Calories from Fat 0
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0g 0%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 10mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 25g 8%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Sugars 21g
Protein 0g
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink