Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 10:25 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times

Advertisements

Did a Plainville Farms Turkey. Only two small issues, very little drippings in pan and skin didn't get deep golden brown, just crispy and light golden. Hubby likes it dark so I broiled it. He was happy.

But the taste was fab. Juicy but not salty watery like I had when I did a soak brine last time. And the bit of gravy (barely over a cup) was delicious.

Oh and I left a bag of giblets in the cavity. Thankfully it was paper and not plastic. I didn't know there were 2 bags. I had tossed the first bag which apparently was only the neck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 10:33 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,978 times
We had a 13 lb. Norbest, from Kroeger and it was delicious. I buttered it up and sprinkled it with lots of pepper and poultry seasoning and baked it at 325, empty with no stuffing. It was tender and delicious. We had turkey sandwiches for supper tonight.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:38 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I just love that you left the bag in the turkey. Everyone has to do it at least once.

You threw the neck away? I used to love to chew on the neck when I was a kid.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:44 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I just love that you left the bag in the turkey. Everyone has to do it at least once.

You threw the neck away? I used to love to chew on the neck when I was a kid.
Yes I wasn't expecting two bags! My mom is the only one in my family that likes giblet gravy. She didn't eat with us this year. I'm okay with it but family doesn't like it.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:55 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Yep. I'm highly suspicious of people who say they've never done it. LOL

Old 11-28-2014, 10:58 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
Haha one year my mom left the bag in the turkey too! And we eat the neck, oh man that's fun to eat!

My mom makes the BEST freaking turkey. She puts it in those bags, but she covers it in butter, lemon, and curry powder and salt and pepper. The skin is AMAZING... She usually buys butterball.

My DH who isn't even a big fan of turkey ate 3 helpings... We "only" had a 14 lb turkey though. It's funny in our family we somehow mesh perfectly, my sister and bro like the legs, my DH and I the breast, and my mom the wings and thighs...

My mom gave me a bunch of leftover that we happily ate for lunch today

Oh and she cooked it low and slow in the oven this year. I think she said 300 degrees for 6 hours?

Old 11-28-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I knew there was a bag, and I did it once, too. Thankfully it was the paper bag.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Haha one year my mom left the bag in the turkey too! And we eat the neck, oh man that's fun to eat!

My mom makes the BEST freaking turkey. She puts it in those bags, but she covers it in butter, lemon, and curry powder and salt and pepper. The skin is AMAZING... She usually buys butterball.

My DH who isn't even a big fan of turkey ate 3 helpings... We "only" had a 14 lb turkey though. It's funny in our family we somehow mesh perfectly, my sister and bro like the legs, my DH and I the breast, and my mom the wings and thighs...

My mom gave me a bunch of leftover that we happily ate for lunch today

Oh and she cooked it low and slow in the oven this year. I think she said 300 degrees for 6 hours?
We worked that out years ago. Someone ate the neck, gizzard, heart, liver. Some wanted wings, drumsticks, thighs or breast. We all got our favorite part.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:20 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Impossible to do when you stuff both ends of the bird. And why wouldn't you?

Old 11-29-2014, 03:02 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Did a Plainville Farms Turkey. Only two small issues, very little drippings in pan and skin didn't get deep golden brown, just crispy and light golden. Hubby likes it dark so I broiled it. He was happy.

But the taste was fab. Juicy but not salty watery like I had when I did a soak brine last time. And the bit of gravy (barely over a cup) was delicious.

Oh and I left a bag of giblets in the cavity. Thankfully it was paper and not plastic. I didn't know there were 2 bags. I had tossed the first bag which apparently was only the neck.

plainville farms are suppose to be very good turkeys

I think we've all left the giblets in one time or another

years ago, I was a butcher in a supermarket , and many customers would ask if we would split the turkeys in half, both frozen and fresh turkeys, well yrs ago turkeys could be shipped at less than 20 degrees and still be considered fresh- so the FRESH turkeys were very chilled almost frozen- so we would split them on the bandsaw , (most stores wont do this today)
and often we would get surprised by the gravy packet that would splatter all over the room!! the worst was trying to split a frozen bird, and it had a metal clip around the drumsticks

to get the golden brown skin, did you rub oil or butter on it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink