Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 12:29 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times

Advertisements

My husband is on my case big time about quitting caffeine. I've always had either one small can of caffeinated drink (80mg caffeine) every morning, ever since I was 7. That's all I need to be productive, awake and focused each day. I sleep fine, and have never had issues with caffeine. (Except I do get withdrawal symptoms if I go without it)

And I'm 5'11, so much for coffee stunting growth!

But my husband is trying to forbid me from coffee. When I ask why, he can't give a coherent reason. He just says it's not healthy. So now he says I'm not allowed to have caffeine on Sundays, and that in a few weeks, no coffee on weekends, and then never again.

I've tried compromising and promising to drink a little less coffee on Sunday, but he says no. I want to clean the house, go hiking and work on my programming. I need to be somewhat functional, not dead exhausted and knocked down with migraines from no caffeine.

He says my addiction is a sign that it's unhealthy, but that doesn't seem like much of a compelling reason that caffeine itself, in moderate doses, is so bad.

Is he right to not allow me to drink coffee? How can I convince him that coffee isn't so bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 12:59 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,543 times
Sorry OP, but this is 2014, not 1914. Why do you even entertain the notion that your spouse can tell you what to do? But that's another thread topic (nevertheless...what on earth?!)

Like most anything we ingest, moderation is key. So let me get this straight---you drink one of those caffeine drinks in a can every morning--and then go on to consume coffee throughout the day? If that's the case, perhaps you are taking in too much caffeine. Caffeine has side effects (e.g. dehydration, nervousness, jitters, and yes it's addicting, etc.) but it also has some positives such as increased stamina, alertness, and some say it even prevents heart disease and some forms of cancer--which makes sense since its an antioxidant. A lot of the common foods/drinks we ingest are bad for you if you really want to split hairs--sugar, animal fats, processed foods, GMOs, soft drinks, alcoholic beverages, my gosh the list goes on & on.

What do I really think? Your husband has serious control issues. Until he can, inarguably, present to you exactly why he thinks it's so bad to drink coffee, don't even entertain the discussion. Life is short, lady----enjoy it while you're above ground. If enjoying your life means drinking coffee, so be it.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:04 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Your husband is a controlling a---hole. I can't believe this is his only issue. It's not about coffee.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:04 PM

709 posts, read 955,165 times
Get divorced.
Forbid? Really?
Doesn't sound like too much caffeine to me. Drink what you want.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
Sorry OP, but this is 2014, not 1914. Why do you even entertain the notion that your spouse can tell you what to do? But that's another thread topic (nevertheless...what on earth?!)

Like most anything we ingest, moderation is key. So let me get this straight---you drink one of those caffeine drinks in a can every morning--and then go on to consume coffee throughout the day? If that's the case, perhaps you are taking in too much caffeine. Caffeine has side effects (e.g. dehydration, nervousness, jitters, and yes it's addicting, etc.) but it also has some positives such as increased stamina, alertness, and some say it even prevents heart disease and some forms of cancer--which makes sense since its an antioxidant. A lot of the common foods/drinks we ingest are bad for you if you really want to split hairs--sugar, animal fats, processed foods, GMOs, soft drinks, alcoholic beverages, my gosh the list goes on & on.

What do I really think? Your husband has serious control issues. Until he can, inarguably, present to you exactly why he thinks it's so bad to drink coffee, don't even entertain the discussion. Life is short, lady----enjoy it while you're above ground. If enjoying your life means drinking coffee, so be it.
No, I only have a Red Bull with breakfast, and no more caffeine after that. Even if I have to wrestle the can of Red Bull right out his hands, I drink it. I don't want to sneak around with it, because I prefer complete honesty, but I want him to chill out and not worry so much.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:51 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Your husband is a controlling a---hole. I can't believe this is his only issue. It's not about coffee.
would you say the same if hubby is asking her to eliminate meat from her diet???

this would also be controlling behavior , but many would say "he's just concerned for your health"

Old 12-07-2014, 01:54 PM

698 posts, read 798,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
My husband is on my case big time about quitting caffeine. I've always had either one small can of caffeinated drink (80mg caffeine) every morning, ever since I was 7. That's all I need to be productive, awake and focused each day. I sleep fine, and have never had issues with caffeine. (Except I do get withdrawal symptoms if I go without it)

But my husband is trying to forbid me from coffee. When I ask why, he can't give a coherent reason. He just says it's not healthy. So now he says I'm not allowed to have caffeine on Sundays, and that in a few weeks, no coffee on weekends, and then never again.

I've tried compromising and promising to drink a little less coffee on Sunday, but he says no. I want to clean the house, go hiking and work on my programming. I need to be somewhat functional, not dead exhausted and knocked down with migraines from no caffeine.

He says my addiction is a sign that it's unhealthy, but that doesn't seem like much of a compelling reason that caffeine itself, in moderate doses, is so bad.

Is he right to not allow me to drink coffee? How can I convince him that coffee isn't so bad?
Tell him he needs to be diapered cause his patootie smells badly. Starting with Sundays, then weekends, then daily from then on out

Each time he mentions it, remind him of his problem with his patootie

Old 12-07-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal1 View Post
Tell him he needs to be diapered cause his patootie smells badly. Starting with Sundays, then weekends, then daily from then on out
Lol! I'm so trying that.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:55 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,403 times
As others have already pointed out, the issue isn't caffeine or coffee or anything else you are consuming. It is control. Why would you even entertain the idea that you husband can "allow" or "not allow" you to do something that is harmless and legal? You need to recognize this as a control issue and decide what you want the rest of your life with him to look like. It won't stop with what you are drinking, and the next thing he "forbids" could be introduce even more restrictions into your life, not to mention the next one after that.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:57 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post

start smoking, he wont complain about coffee anymore

or

tell him you want to be vegans in the new year-see how he likes it - jump all over him with controlling behavior,, all in the name of "health"

part of being a partner in life isn't being a doormat,,, if he's being a dick,,,tell him that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink