Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 11:36 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times

Advertisements

Breakfast cereals are but diabetes in a box. The sugar, oils and wheat/corn trigger an instant insulin spike in your system and you are hungry again in short time which leads to mid morning snacking and weight gain.

Oatmeal is better as is bacon and eggs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 11:46 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't know what's so exciting about. It's another unhealthy sweet cereal, like any other on the store shelves.
According to nutrition label one serving (3/4 cup = 30g, who eats just 3/4 cup anyway) contain 3 tsp (12g) of sugar! That's more than 1/3 of total weight! No fiber and too much salt.
And here is a list of "goodies"
Corn Meal , Sugar , Corn Syrup , Corn Syrup High Fructose , Soybeans Oil Partially Hydrogenated , Salt , Ascorbic Acid , Baking Soda , Sugar Brown Syrup , Cinnamon , Colors Added , Dicalcium Phosphate , Iron Ferrous Sulfate , Zinc , Vitamin A Retinol Palmitate , Thiamin Vitamin B1 , Vitamin B12 , Riboflavin Vitamin B2 , Pyridoxine Vitamin B6 , Vitamin D , Wheat Flour , Flavors Natural & Artificial
And the type of calcium added is not very healthy:
Negative Effects of Dicalcium Phosphate |
The rest is just plastic vitamins.
Thank you, but no, thank you!
I just eat cardboard..better for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Breakfast cereals are but diabetes in a box. The sugar, oils and wheat/corn trigger an instant insulin spike in your system and you are hungry again in short time which leads to mid morning snacking and weight gain.

Certain cereals of course can but not all and they dont cause Diabetes.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:55 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
I loved BucWheats as a kid. Basically Wheaties with a honey glaze on them. LOVED.THEM. So sad when they were discontinued.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:57 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I never heard of French toast crunch. I used to like golden grahams but I don't see that anymore. These days I don't eat much sugared cereal except captain crunch on occasion. I mainly have honey bunches of oats with almonds and put some in my yogurt for breakfast.
They still sell Golden Grahams. I use it all the time to make S'mores for the kids.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:42 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
You can make your own authentic muesli, which was originally intended to be a healthfood. Take some ordinary oatmeal (rolled oats like Quaker), maybe a cupful, and add (I think) about 2 cups of cold milk. Add some chopped apples, fresh or dry, raisins, or whichever fruit strikes your fancy. Add some chopped nuts, walnuts or pecans or whatever. Sprinkle in a little cinnamon. Then let it sit about 15 minutes or until the milk is soaked up. Sweeten (or not) according to taste.

It's still a popular breakfast in Switzerland.
Cheaper to just buy a box of Mueslix. You know how much buying all that stuff separately is going to cost here?

Old 12-09-2014, 12:45 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post

Uh yeah, until you go and add 2 TBSP butter, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 4-6 oz of raisins and then your oatmeal is no more healthy than the cereal.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:00 PM

339 posts, read 777,415 times
I miss Nabisco Wheat Honeys and Rice Honeys that were the sponsers of Sky King on Saturday mornings of yesteryear.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:39 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I usually only eat this one high fiber cereal and occasionally mini wheats, but I do buy Cocoa Crispies sometimes because my son eats them as a dessert when he wants something chocolately. We haven't been huge cereal users for awhile now and I often have to toss the box with some left in it because we don't eat it fast enough.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Uh yeah, until you go and add 2 TBSP butter, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 4-6 oz of raisins and then your oatmeal is no more healthy than the cereal.
I don't litter in mine. Thanks for sharing how you do.

Some people miss the point.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post

Certain cereals of course can but not all and they don't cause Diabetes.
You do know far too many people - look at the obese around you - are borderline type I candidates because of what they eat, no? Cereal itself may not cause diabetes but toss it in with the rest of the junk people eat and it's a stepping stone. Cold cereal is fast food and fast food turns to fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink