U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 12:55 PM

655 posts, read 1,684,448 times

Advertisements

Here's my theory:

Anything you eat can be made better by adding - in the right circumstances - one or more of these things: bacon, peanut butter, goat cheese and heavy cream.

Now, I know...you're going to say I left out chocolate...but you have to assume that no matter what you're eating, there will already be some chocolate nearby.

Whadda ya think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 02:42 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,625,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindycat View Post
Here's my theory:

Anything you eat can be made better by adding - in the right circumstances - one or more of these things: bacon, peanut butter, goat cheese and heavy cream.

Now, I know...you're going to say I left out chocolate...but you have to assume that no matter what you're eating, there will already be some chocolate nearby.

Whadda ya think?
I assume you left out butter by mistake?

Old 01-04-2008, 04:09 PM

690 posts, read 2,354,957 times
I say RIGHT ON.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:21 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,625,250 times
Good goat cheese is one of my fave things in the world, with Humboldt Fog being the best. I have to drive 2 hours to get it, though

Old 01-05-2008, 02:54 PM

655 posts, read 1,684,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I assume you left out butter by mistake?
No, it's not on my list. I just assume it always goes in at the beginning.

However - - I went to a cooking class with a favorite chef and he made chicken scallopini with sheetake-vermouth butter. In this case the butter goes in after the chicken is cooked and the vermouth cooked down. As he was adding butter and more butter, someone who hadn't been to his classes before asked "Can you ever have toooooo much butter?" Those of us who'd been with him a long time just smiled.

By the way, I know I misspelled the mushroom variety above but the system edited out ****ake, so I changed it.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:07 PM

2,484 posts, read 7,902,394 times
I disagree. Sometimes, a nice, healthy dish without too much fat or sugar is perfect---steamed endamames, crisp strawberry-cucumber salads with vinagarette dressing, even a lovely baked apple with just brown sugar and cinnamon.

I suppose it depends on how one was raised though..I understand some parts of the country focuses on putting fat and oils into the diet (ie: south) but since I'm Asian, my mom brought me up on healthy greens and "light" food and that's what I'm used to.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:29 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,164,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
I disagree. Sometimes, a nice, healthy dish without too much fat or sugar is perfect---steamed endamames, crisp strawberry-cucumber salads with vinagarette dressing, even a lovely baked apple with just brown sugar and cinnamon.
Yes.
Quote:
I suppose it depends on how one was raised though..I understand some parts of the country focuses on putting fat and oils into the diet (ie: south) but since I'm Asian, my mom brought me up on healthy greens and "light" food and that's what I'm used to.
I was raised with a combination of heavier and light foods.
We would tend to eat lighter in the summer, heavier during the winter.
I tend to continue this habit, though I eat salad almost every night.

When it comes to making things better:
To me, it is not so much that a certain ingredient can make anything better, it's more that certain combinations always work.
Though I do appreciate the thought, cindy--I've got a weakness for sugared pecans and gorgonzola cheese--they can go on or with a *lot* of dishes.
My husband's mom thought everything was improved with garlic.
I love garlic, but I don't think it's place is in every single entrée.
Same with goat cheese; it does have a common touch, but sometimes it's best left alone--or like Humboldt Fog, a yummy ripened goat cheese, it should be eaten all by itself.
heh
Remember what Mark Twain said:
"Too much of anything is bad, but too much whisky is barely enough."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink