Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 04:04 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I prefer my grilled cheeses made with mayo on the outside. Sounds odd, but it makes for a very evenly browned, non-greasy bread. Better than butter.
(It's one of the rare times I use mayo! Generally can't stand the stuff)
Mayo really does create a perfectly browned grilled cheese. Given its ingredients, not surprising. I love butter, but mayo works really well in this context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 04:10 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Sourdough, fresh mozz, Jersey-grown tomatoes, pesto. Unbelievable.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:11 PM

880 posts, read 2,345,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Omigod, omigod, omigod! Someone else who knows The Friendly Toast!!!

And when you say "burrito," do you mean THE FISH BURRITO???

The first time I went there, I had the fish burrito. LOVE! My husband (now ex) had the grilled cheese. Since then, every time I've been there, I tell the other person I'm with: "Okay, this is how this works. One of us orders the fish burrito. The other one orders the grilled cheese with sharp cheddar and bleu. We each have half of each. WE SHARE! BOTH! Got it? Because if you don't understand, I'm going in alone."

Sigh...

I need to go back there. Now.
I don't do fish so no fish burrito for me. I get the mission burrito.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:11 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
This is amazing. I love grilled cheese. I love mayo. But I've never once considered using mayo instead of butter. I learn something new EVERY day. And tomorrow, I'm going to make grilled cheese with mayo instead of butter. YAY for new-to-me things!

Old 12-15-2014, 04:13 PM

It's really, really good. It makes a nice golden coating, due to the oil and egg.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:13 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
I don't do fish so no fish burrito for me. I get the mission burrito.
Fine! Be like that!

Actually, I'd have the fish burrito even without the fish:
fried haddock, avocado, black olives, spicy tartar sauce, lettuce, plum tomatoes & red onions

Old 12-15-2014, 04:35 PM

880 posts, read 2,345,476 times
I'm not a mayo fan, but I have made a nice butter (or olive oil) mixed with mustard and spices coating for the bread before. Grills up nicely giving a nice crunch and flavor to the bread.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:40 PM

4,694 posts, read 3,473,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Omigod, omigod, omigod! Someone else who knows The Friendly Toast!!!

And when you say "burrito," do you mean THE FISH BURRITO???

The first time I went there, I had the fish burrito. LOVE! My husband (now ex) had the grilled cheese. Since then, every time I've been there, I tell the other person I'm with: "Okay, this is how this works. One of us orders the fish burrito. The other one orders the grilled cheese with sharp cheddar and bleu. We each have half of each. WE SHARE! BOTH! Got it? Because if you don't understand, I'm going in alone."

Sigh...

I need to go back there. Now.
Ha!ha! The Friendly Toast is legendary, although I thought I heard the original owner sold it. My stepdaughter goes to UNH. I told her about The Friendly Toast. Now she goes whenever she gets a chance. Small world!

Old 12-15-2014, 04:42 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I prefer my grilled cheeses made with mayo on the outside. Sounds odd, but it makes for a very evenly browned, non-greasy bread. Better than butter.
(It's one of the rare times I use mayo! Generally can't stand the stuff)
Well I love mayo, so I'll have to give this a try!

Old 12-15-2014, 04:47 PM

It doesn't actually taste like mayo, once it's used as a substance to fry in, essentially. It just ends up working like an extra rich oil. A nice light golden, crispy crunch. Mayo fans who imagine it to taste super mayo-like will find that it doesn't, and non-mayo fans who would avoid it thinking it tastes like mayo would be surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink