Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 05:12 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
This is amazing. I love grilled cheese. I love mayo. But I've never once considered using mayo instead of butter. I learn something new EVERY day. And tomorrow, I'm going to make grilled cheese with mayo instead of butter. YAY for new-to-me things!
The epitome of narcissism: Quoting your own post.

The proof of borderline OCD tendencies: I was so curious that, instead of waiting until tomorrow, I made it tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Ha!ha! The Friendly Toast is legendary, although I thought I heard the original owner sold it. My stepdaughter goes to UNH. I told her about The Friendly Toast. Now she goes whenever she gets a chance. Small world!
I was there this past July and it was just as yummy as ever, so if it's under new ownership -- hang on! yes! I remember seeing a sign outside that it had changed hands, you're right! -- they're carrying on the tradition very well.

Oh my! Your stepdaughter is one lucky gal! If I lived closer, I'd be there far too often and weigh 400 pounds. But I'd be happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It doesn't actually taste like mayo, once it's used as a substance to fry in, essentially. It just ends up working like an extra rich oil. A nice light golden, crispy crunch. Mayo fans who imagine it to taste super mayo-like will find that it doesn't, and non-mayo fans who would avoid it thinking it tastes like mayo would be surprised.
Yeah, actually, I didn't think that it would taste like mayo. The thought of warm mayo is a turn-off for me. Anyway, I made it tonight -- with mayo. It was the best grilled cheese I've ever made myself. Crispy crunch, like you said... and not greasy! I love the "not greasy" part. Seriously delicious.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 12-15-2014 at 06:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 05:14 PM

997 posts, read 1,061,200 times
I've never tried using mayo, will definitely do so next time.

We usually eat whole wheat bread, but I concur, white does make a better grilled cheese sandwich. I like to use muenster and american cheese and there HAS to be a slice or two of crisp bacon in there. I do also love it with tomato, but bacon trumps everything else!

Not really a grilled cheese, but another fave sandwich of mine is a croque monsieur type one. I use sour dough bread, jarlsberg and thin sliced ham. Dip each side in a lightly beaten egg and grill in a pan coated with cooking spray. Serve with tomato basil soup... yum!

Old 12-15-2014, 05:17 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highpoint1 View Post

A final, optional tip: cover the pan so that the cheese melts more evenly without letting the bread get too toasty.
I do this as well - it becomes fairly necessary to get full melt if you're either using a significant slab of cheese, using cheese with a higher melt point, and/or adding other ingredients.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:19 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Crispy crunch, like you said... and not greasy! I love the "not greasy" part. Seriously delicious.
Yep, it's very light and crispy, not heavy or greasy.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:43 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
American Cheese and bacon. Can't forget the bacon

Old 12-15-2014, 05:45 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times
All mayo is really is oil. It's not as far fetched a thought. I've seen it done I think on Food Network before.

It's really just a more solidified form of oil.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:45 PM

12,540 posts, read 2,138,683 times
I like my grilled cheese on Ezekiel bread (I keep it in the freezer...don't even thaw it first). An unexpected advantage of using the frozen bread is that butter from the fridge spreads easier on it. I'm using Tillamook cheddar at the moment.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
All mayo is really is oil. It's not as far fetched a thought. I've seen it done I think on Food Network before.

It's really just a more solidified form of oil.
And egg yolk. Both of which work well as ways to coat bread prior to frying it. It's really not a stretch at all to use it to prep a grilled sandwich for grilling, just as one might use butter on a traditionally made grilled cheese, brush olive oil on a sandwich prior to putting it in a panini press, etc.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:45 PM

4,693 posts, read 3,473,160 times
Quote:
The epitome of narcissism: Quoting your own post.

The proof of borderline OCD tendencies: I was so curious that, instead of waiting until tomorrow, I made it tonight.

I was there this past July and it was just as yummy as ever, so if it's under new ownership -- hang on! yes! I remember seeing a sign outside that it had changed hands, you're right! -- they're carrying on the tradition very well.

Oh my! Your stepdaughter is one lucky gal! If I lived closer, I'd be there far too often and weigh 400 pounds. But I'd be happy!

Yeah, actually, I didn't think that it would taste like mayo. The thought of warm mayo is a turn-off for me. Anyway, I made it tonight -- with mayo. It was the best grilled cheese I've ever made myself. Crispy crunch, like you said... and not greasy! I love the "not greasy" part. Seriously delicious.
I can't rep you! You make me laugh too much! CD says I need to spread the love around! 😫

Old 12-15-2014, 06:57 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
And the only thing to improve on my favorite grilled cheese is to dunk it in tomato soup!

Soup must be that most common brand, made with milk with a pinch (not much) of cinnamon and a pat of butter in it. Questioning the cinnamon? Guess what? It goes very well with tomatoes and is an ingredient in ketchup. Yes.

I don't have any muenster but there is pepper jack and Swiss in the refrigerator and I am going to try one of your specialties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink