Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 07:45 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,577,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Depends on the dish.
Yep. My wife eats every year at local place only opens during crawfish season. Only thing served there. Lots of Oyster bars that serve nothing but on half shell in season other than drinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 08:12 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,351,930 times
Default Sierra Madre's International cafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If the restaurant served one dish made to order would you go at least once to try it then continue to go if you liked it, even if they continue to serve one dish?

In addition to the one dish which would be sold by serving or batch the only beverage available would be regular coffee (no decaf), ice water, carbonated water, 2% Milk and iced tea (sweet or not).

You can eat there or take it home but the seating would be very limited in the beginning and the only other item available would be white bread with real butter or garlic bread.
Seven days a week, a different nationality dish for that evening. Reservations required.
OR
that's the way In/N/out burger started!

Old 12-16-2014, 09:35 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,937,406 times
Yes

Old 12-16-2014, 09:41 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,671,817 times
Quote:
Okay, how about a restaurant that served Macaroni and Cheese, homemade sauce and pasta shells?
The only thing you could order with it is white bread and real butter or garlic bread and a very limited choice of beverages.

Edited to add: The white bread would be made fresh daily as well as the Italian crusty bread for garlic bread.
No...not really. Why would you serve white bread with Mac and cheese anyways?

Good m&c can be an awesome side....there are are few upscale bbq places that have amazing baked m&c around here but that is not there only draw. It might work with a food truck set up for the lunch crowd...but even then I'd offer some veggie toppings or even bacon bits....not white bread.

Last edited by ScarletG; 12-16-2014 at 09:53 PM..

Old 12-16-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Why does this come up in every thread about food?
Try asking about meat options at vegans places over on their specific board and maybe we'll find out...lol.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
My Husband is Type 2 Diabetic and he can eat what he wants when he wants he just has to account for his daily food consumption.

Honestly though, it is not my place or responsibility to tell anyone how or what to eat so anyone who would come in with any dietary restrictions and eat there anyway would be the only one to blame because they are the only one responsible for their food consumption.

According to your logic and catering to those listed above, no one can have a restaurant because of the many dietary restrictions that are not their responsibility to maintain or watch over.
No its not your responsibility to watch what possible patrons order....but you would be a bad business person to not take note of the fact that many people do not eat that many carbs these days.

Last edited by ScarletG; 12-16-2014 at 10:38 PM..

Old 12-16-2014, 10:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,335,525 times
Mac & Cheese is actually fairly big, here, in a few different styles.

One is as a side in BBQ places - old school comfort food. You go to a BBQ place, here, the side options may include pit beans, greens, mac and cheese, etc. It's not dressed up, just a side.

The other is a "modern twist"/trendy take at gastropubs that will eventually fade and be replaced by the next trend of the moment..."gourmet" mac and cheese, with different add-ins, like the "mac deluxe," which is mac and cheese with roasted cauliflower, asparagus, ****ake mushrooms, roasted garlic, and a white truffle-potato chip crust; and "mac diablo," which has hand-cranked chorizo sausage, jalapeño sofrito, caramelized onion, tomato, and tortilla-cornbread crust.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:04 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,335,525 times
If you want to open a place that specializes in pasta, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Old school Italian places deal largely in pasta, and seem to do well, Asian noodle shops are a thing, etc.

My initial inclination is that if you're going to specialize, it's better to specialize in something that's not ultra cheap and easy to make at home...but that's just me, and it's true that the aforementioned Italian restaurants and noodle shops do fine, and that fare is very easy to make at home.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:09 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,032,130 times
I agree easy to make at home and I do make my own but I do not use dried boxed pasta shells or processed cheese sauce.
I also change mine up a bit and will add hamburger or peas or both and I always have some sort of bread with most every meal including macaroni and cheese.

I just tossed that particular dish out there for an example because it is one of my favorite foods, obviously there are numerous other foods that could do just as well.
I don't have macaroni and cheese daily like I do tacos though but again, the macaroni and cheese was just the first dish I thought about.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:16 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,783,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Try asking about meat options at vegans places over on their specific board and maybe we'll find out...lol.
Been there, done that - not recommended.

American vegetarian food lacks flavor and creativity. However, Indian vegetarian fare is quite tasty. I think a curry house would do quite well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink